News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Any update on swapping here on TTB?  (Read 1266 times)

Thanna

• Gold Member
Any update on swapping here on TTB?
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »
Thanks for any info
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

SilverCrown

• Administrator
Re: Any update on swapping here on TTB?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
Thanks for asking, Thanna.

I confess that I have come to a bit of an impasse with swapping. I have a few concerns.

One of the primary issues has to do with a feedback system. The only feedback module I've found is not selective enough, meaning that everyone, swapper or not, would have access to the system.

My other primary concern has to do with potential bad actors. Of those who would be immediately eligible to swap (100-post minimum at the outset) I feel fairly confident that drama would be minimal to none. However, as word got out, we could end up attracting potential swaplifters and that's something that can be full of drama.

Finally, I need to seek legal advice before implementing swapping as I am potentially at risk as the owner of the forum.

I haven't ruled swapping out. But it will be a while before I have either ironed out the issues or decided that the risk is too great. Or somewhere in the middle of those two options, I may give it a trial run limited to those who have sufficient posts at that time to qualify.
-SilverCrown

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »
Thanks for the update, SilverCrown.

Just a thought, and I don't know how this would fly with the other site(s)....

Since ABC site (name changed to protect the innocent) already has swapping and feedback available, could it possibly work to have a thread here at TTB that just lets us mention/refer to the items posted for swap on ABC site?  Then we could title our thread "XBRAND eyeshadow in YCOLOR for swap or sale" and if we are allowed to post the link, it can take us to site ABC where the item is posted.  Easy enough to delete the item on ABC site if it has interest from someone at TTB.

Not sure of the legal ramifications in doing that, if any.

Another forum I'm on has various swap/sale threads, depending on type of product and country the seller is in. Their feedback is in one long thread for the good feedback, and another long thread for bad feedback.  I guess one does a search by member name in the feedback threads to see if there were any prior probs with the person.  Maybe the admins of that site can advise on their disclaimer regarding swaps/sales.

Just sharing some ideas... :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
Thx for the update.

In light of the headaches over on ABC after last year's massive swaplift it pays to be cautious.

One other question (and I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere and I missed it) - are RAOK posts allowed here on TTB? 

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:12:25 AM »
Thank you, marci65 and Thanna for your suggestions and question. I am trying to work out the best way to handle matters and will get back to you within a day or two.
-SilverCrown

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
With apologies for my delayed update (where does the time go?!), here's what I'm thinking about swapping and RAOKs.

Swapping is on indefinite hold. Since I have enough to occupy me here I don't visit other forums very often and was unaware of the massive swaplift referenced by Thanna. I will continue to consider the suggestions already presented (thank you, marci65!) and brainstorm ways in which I can offer swapping with a minimum of fuss and/or drama.

I am leaning strongly toward allowing RAOKs and am working on the logistics of implementation. My initial thoughts:
  • Add a new board where members with at least 25 posts can list items that they would like to give away.
  • A member interested in an item would PM their interest and all details would be worked out privately that way.
  • As items are claimed, the listing member would modify her post to reflect the items that are no longer available.
  • Canie and I would keep the board cleaned up as necessary so that only live posts are shown.
I am, as always, interested in your feedback. If anyone has comments or suggestions regarding implementation of RAOKs, please feel free to bring them on!
-SilverCrown

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »
I love the idea of ROAK's. let's do it!
  • Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

Canie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »
I will be happy to keep the board neat and tidy, if needed. :)
-Canie

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
I'm up for anything!  :)  And I will help any way I can. 

Also, just my opinion, but I  think that 25 posts is too low to allow someone to post for RAOK-ing (either on the giver or taker end).  Again, just my opinion there.  I am thinking 75-100 posts minimum because by that time, we get to know a new member a bit better and we may be able to get a sense of their intent to participate on the board regularly, or are they just here for fly-by-night grab-and-go (and possibly causing trouble).  25 posts can happen for some people in a few days time maximum if they are here just to take goodies a couple of times and be done with us. 

Also, can the RAOK (and possible swapping) threads be visible to "members only" (sort of like the "Let's Chat" thread), so that random searchers using Google, etc. don't land here solely for the purpose of RAOK/swapping. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

Canie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »
Thank you, marci65, for your continued thoughts on the topic.  You present some very good points for us to consider, which is what we hoped members would do.  We can take another look at the number of posts required and I see no reason why we could not make it a members-only feature.

Keep the ideas flowing, please!  Your input helps us more than you know.
-Canie

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »
I second all of what Canie said.

An RAOK board would definitely be hidden from not only non-members and those without sufficient posts to qualify, it would also be off-limits to search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing. The number of posts required was just an initial thought and definitely will be revisited.

As Canie said, your input is invaluable. This forum is for YOU, the members, and we want it to serve you as well as possible.
-SilverCrown

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
Just chiming in to second Marci's suggestions. 

One of the most drama free swap groups that I participate in is also one of the most difficult to join.  It was a chore to find the group and to get started but I've never had any problems there.