News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Everything's Coming Up Oranges  (Read 3800 times)

christinedenice

• Gold Member
Everything's Coming Up Oranges
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »
I love the smell of oranges and am always looking for orangey fragrances and bath/body products. Some I've tried are too candy-sweet or the orange notes dissipate quickly.

The Body Shop's Satsuma bath and shower gel is lovely, but my local Body Shop closed, and Sephora no longer sells it, so I'm trying other things.

Recently, I ordered Bliss' Blood Orange and White Pepper Soapy Suds (bath/shower gel) and Body Cream, and I LOVE them!. The scent is like a combo of oranges and Christmas trees, and it immediately makes me think of Paris, for some reason. It's like the scent of an apartment in Paris (my fantasy), at least in my imagination.

Another recent find that is a great compliment to BO&WP is a body spray I found at a Target in Lincoln, Nebraska. It's Sunswept by The Scent Bar, and it is refreshing on its own and awesome used after showering and using the BO&WP products. My local Target doesn't have it, though, and it's sold out on the Target site. Hopefully, they'll restock it.

Lastly, I'm waiting for the brown truck to deliver Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine. Taking a bit of a chance on this one, as I'm buying it purely based on reviews and descriptions. But, it is just a travel size spray, and I have a good feeling about it.

Anyone else love orange or citrus fragrances? What are your faves?
  • Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

sashamy

Re: Everything's Coming Up Oranges
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
I like Happy by Clinique, but my absolute most favorite is Calyx by Prescriptives. When I wear it, men usually ask me what I am wearing because they want to get it for their girlfriends/ wives.

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
CD - I think you'll love Orange Sanguine.  All of the Atelier colognes are very well done.

I'm a huge fan of citrus scents although I gravitate towards lemon rather than orange.  My favorite is the inexpensive Nenuco.  It's very similar to Dior's Escale a Portofino but costs so little that you don't mind spraying it with abandon.  Pacifica Malibu Lemon Blossom is another one that goes into heavy rotation during the summer months.  If I could justify the expense I'd buy a huge bottle of Chanel's Eau de Cologne.  Lasts longer than the Geurlain colognes although I'm not sure it's quite as well blended.

Not lemon but citrus - I also wear Diptyque Oyedo quite often (wore it today as a matter of fact).  If you want to try something citrusy but different, look for Trumpers Lime Cologne.  Crabtree and Evelyn has a very pleasant lime based scent as well (the name escapes me) but I don't find it as refreshing as Trumpers Lime. 
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Now on my must try list: Calyx, Nenuco, Escale a Portofino, Oyedo, Malibu Lemon Blossom, Trumpers Lime...

I forgot to include the description of The Scent Bar's Sunswept: Sicilian orange with sheer lemon and bergamot. Also available in body butter.
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

saragozausedto

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »
Acqua di Gio got a strong tangerine presence! I know its not orange but its pretty close!

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Thanks, saragozausedto! I check out Aqua di Gio. Love the scent of tangerines, also!

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
I LOOOOOVE citrus scents!! 

I, too, often wear the previously mentioned Oyedo.  The main note, if I remember correctly, is yuzu.  I find it to be a great pick-me-up and head clearer.

I also like a couple of Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria fragrances that are citrus-based, Mandarine Basilic and Pampelune. 

For many years, Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien was my signature fragrance.  Can't remember the notes, but very yellow citrusy in my memory.  I haven't tried it since it got reformulated.

I was recently gifted the most incredible grapefruit scented hand cream by Blithe and Bonny.  Feels amazing and smells like you just sliced open a fresh ruby red grapefruit when you open the tub.  I can't stop sniffing my hands after I put it on. 
  • Complexion: Fair w/ yellow undertones & some redness
  • Eyes: Blue (usually)
  • Hair: Black & gray, thick, wavy/curly
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
Foo - it sounds like you and I might be scent twins!  One of my summer staples is Annick Goutal's Nuits d'Hadrien although I honestly can't remember how it compares to Eau d'Hadrien.
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
I wore Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, also, for several years in the 90's. I still have some of the shower gel (really more of a liquid). The scent has probably deteriorated, but I've kept the bottle because I like how it looks in the bathroom 8) . I think the notes are lemon and cypress.

Okay, I must check out the Blithe and Bonny grapefruit hand cream. Sounds divine.

I'm enjoying the Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. Immediately after spraying, there is a burst of vibrant orange (love). Then, it immediately drys down (on me) to a warm sandalwood, with very little of the citrus.

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »

I'm enjoying the Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. Immediately after spraying, there is a burst of vibrant orange (love). Then, it immediately drys down (on me) to a warm sandalwood, with very little of the citrus.

Gosh, that sounds lovely!  I think I need to add that to my "to sample" list. 
  • Complexion: Fair w/ yellow undertones & some redness
  • Eyes: Blue (usually)
  • Hair: Black & gray, thick, wavy/curly
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »
This topic and another one have me thinking that I need to try a citrusy scent. I'm not sure that I've ever experienced one. Time to visit the Perfumed Court I see. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »
Has anyone here tried Martin Margiela's Untitled scent? I've heard it's citrus and green. One post at MUA suggested that if you liked Dior's Escale a Portofino (which I LOVE), you'd like this. So I'm curious. It'll definitely be in my next sample order from Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »
Are you talking about (untitled) or (untitled) l'eau?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
 :puzzled:  Uh, I dunno. What's the difference?
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
Untitled was the first one and inspired Untitled L'Eau.  Slightly different notes, as flankers usually are.  I heard that L'Eau is even more citrus-y.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce