News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What are you reading these days?  (Read 34615 times)

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
What are you reading these days?
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
I'm currently reading yoga guru Cyndi Lee's memoir, "May I Be Happy". It's mostly about her struggles with body image and aging; it's a great read if you're interested in all in yoga (as I am).

On a completely different note, I just finished Alan Furst's "Mission to Paris". Great atmospheric spy book about Paris, 1938! Highly recommend if you like that sort of thing.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

sashamy

Re: What are you reading these days?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation! I love yoga and will put this book on my list.

I am currently reading a biography on van Gogh. Written with great detail so I am taking my time.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
I adore spy novels (and movies), so that one goes on my list.  I have a niece who is a yoga instructor, so that book will be in her next Christmas package.  Thanks, Veuve!

Lara - Van Gogh is my favorite painter.  I imagine his life was quite interesting.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

sashamy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
I adore spy novels (and movies), so that one goes on my list.  I have a niece who is a yoga instructor, so that book will be in her next Christmas package.  Thanks, Veuve!

Lara - Van Gogh is my favorite painter.  I imagine his life was quite interesting.

I had become quite infatuated with Van Gogh after I first listened to Don McLean's song, Starry Starry Night. The book is very very lengthy, but I can't find the right words to describe it, sad mostly. Vincent could not fit into society and was constantly seeking to find his path in life. To undersatnd his art I think you have to understand the person.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
I am still reading 'The life of Pi' on my kindle and another book that I got for my birthday, 'Vanished kingdoms, the History of half-forgotten Europe', about European kingdoms which have disappeared: Aragon and Burgundy to name just two. I like history books. I tend to read a couple of pages in the morning at breakfast. 

Esthy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
Just got 'Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune". Was fascinated by Huguettes's story ever since it hit the news, so I am looking forward to digging into this!
  • Complexion: very fair, NW10ish
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: blond, straight, sad
I gave my beauty and my youth to men. I am going to give my wisdom and experience to animals.
Brigitte Bardot

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:23:28 PM »
I could not keep up with 'The Life of Pi' and I gave up! I have just finished 'Bring out the bodies' by Hilary Mantel. It is all about the last days of Anne Boleyn, as seen through the eyes of Thomas Cromwell the king's advisor. Brilliantly written and very well -researched and so clever that it makes you feel like you're reading about something that has just happening 'now', if that makes any sense.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »
I like reading about that era but I like an engaging  writer. Right now trying to make myself get through Wolf Hall. Its okay but not turning into the page turner I had hoped. I loved The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir.

I could not keep up with 'The Life of Pi' and I gave up! I have just finished 'Bring out the bodies' by Hilary Mantel. It is all about the last days of Anne Boleyn, as seen through the eyes of Thomas Cromwell the king's advisor. Brilliantly written and very well -researched and so clever that it makes you feel like you're reading about something that has just happening 'now', if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:59:04 AM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
Currently, I'm reading a memoir by Anna Quindlen called Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.  I'm only on page 28, but so far, I'm really enjoying it, and highly reccommend it. 
http://annaquindlen.net/lots-of-candles/
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:21:52 AM »
I´ve read much lighter literature than usual - chick lit, even (the shame!), old Agatha Christie and P.G. Wodehouse re-reads.  I have needed a pick-me-up, also haven´t been able to concentrate as well as usual.

BTW I far prefer Alison Weir´s history books to her historical novels, go figure!

I also read "Bring out the bodies", it was interesting enough for me to want to read Wolf Hall, too. As you may remember I am very interested in the Tudor period (and Elizabeth I especially).
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »
Another yes to yoga, Veuve. I am a most amateur practitioner of modest moves, but therein lies my sanity! I am noting "May I Be Happy" in the list of books I'd like to read.

My current books are:
Kindle - Ben in the World by Doris Lessing (a follow-up to The Fifth Child - "We Need to Talk About Kevin"-ish)
Book book - Making the Cat Laugh by Lynne Truss (a collection of her somewhat amusing columns from various publications)
Book book - Deep South: Stories from Tasmania (historical short story collection about the place I love)
Audiobook - A Conspiracy of Friends - Alexander McCall Smith (third in the Corduroy Mansions series)
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
LemonMyrtle! :hi: 

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 01:47:58 AM »
Liiiiiiisteeeeeeee !!  :hi:
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »
Just finished reading Doctor Sleep, Stephen King's newest about the little boy from The Shining all grown up.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 12:12:54 AM »
SusanG - Tell us more!  Are you a fan of King's books?  Did Danny grow up the way you expected he would?  Are his powers still strong?  Did you like the book??