News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What are you reading these days?  (Read 31269 times)

SusanG

• Platinum Member
Re: What are you reading these days?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
SusanG - Tell us more!  Are you a fan of King's books?  Did Danny grow up the way you expected he would?  Are his powers still strong?  Did you like the book??

Yep, I'm a Stephen King fan, going back to his very early stuff. I did enjoy Doctor Sleep. Danny still has his shining, but he meets a young girl who makes his power seem like nothing! A great read -- I'd recommend it! (I reread The Shining immediately afterwards. If you saw the movie, as I did long ago, you realize just how many changes Stanley Kubrick made.)
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »
So am I!  Most movies based on his novels were disappointments to me.  From what I have read, he feels the same.  Now I need to read Doctor Sleep!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

CathyEarnshaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
I just finished "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly".....wow! It's a must read! The guy who wrote it was the editor in chief of French Elle magazine. He had a massive stroke in his 40s that left him "locked in". He wasn't able to speak or move ANYTHING except to blink his left eye.

He wrote this entire book by blinking that eye to an assistant. He died 2 days after the book was published! Incredible book!
  • Complexion: Fair, Combination
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: grey, straight, average thickness, dry

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »
I just finished "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly".....wow! It's a must read! The guy who wrote it was the editor in chief of French Elle magazine. He had a massive stroke in his 40s that left him "locked in". He wasn't able to speak or move ANYTHING except to blink his left eye.

He wrote this entire book by blinking that eye to an assistant. He died 2 days after the book was published! Incredible book!

What a story -- and that's without reading the book! I'll be on the lookout for that one. Thanks, Cathy!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

MJ  :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
Ah - I read that one.  It's more of a science fiction novel than his usual horror stuff, isn't it?  There was a miniseries done a few years back, but I think they changed the story quite a bit.  Seems I heard there will be a new one coming soon, though.  Why do people think they can improve on Stephen King anyway?

bogsc

• Bronze Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
Defending Jacob.  Almost finished and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
This one sounds as if it could be almost difficult to read, especially for those of us with sons.  Is that why you aren't sure about it, bogsc?

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
Ah - I read that one.  It's more of a science fiction novel than his usual horror stuff, isn't it?  There was a miniseries done a few years back, but I think they changed the story quite a bit.  Seems I heard there will be a new one coming soon, though.  Why do people think they can improve on Stephen King anyway?

Yes. The Tommyknockers is a bit different from his other books, but he sure can write!!  He has the ability to capture and hold your attention.

I don't know why they change things either. Like in the version of The Shining with Jack Nicholson. Yes it was based on a haunted hotel but they left a lot of the book out of it. I saw a 2 part mini series of it with Rebecca De Mornay and that one was truer to the book.

Have you read Under the Dome??  I have and to me the tv series just doesn't cut it. I kinda annoyed my husband and daughter who watched it with me. I kept getting disgusted and was yelling out "THIS WASN'T IN THE BOOK!!!"  :lol:  I gave my daughter the book to read so she can see the differences as well, but since the book is over 1,000 pages, it may take her awhile.

MJ :)
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
Not reading much but saw something on the MUA board that caught my interest:

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
by Jim DeFede

Oh and there was another one I cannot remember the title but it was about a mafia hit man hiding out in
either Sweden or Norway (?).
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »
The last thing I read was Helen Fielding's 'Mad about the Boy' a sequel to the Bridget Jones' Edge of Reason. No doubt will be made into a film... For those who have read the two previous novels and /or saw the films: don't ask me what happens to Mark Darcy, it is very sad!

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 05:31:28 AM »

Cathy, I've seen the film and recommend it highly.
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
 :eek: Wow!  You ladies are reading grown up books. I have so much communication with grown up during the day that I want to get lost in fantasy books.  Magic and elves and fairies and witches and things like that.  But, I am keeping a close eye on this subject.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
:eek: Wow!  You ladies are reading grown up books.

Haha, SusieQ! I was just thinking the same thing.  Don't think anyone would want to hear my latest reads. LOL.  :lol:
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »
:eek: Wow!  You ladies are reading grown up books.

Haha, SusieQ! I was just thinking the same thing.  Don't think anyone would want to hear my latest reads. LOL.  :lol:
I do! I do!! :happyinthesun:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves