News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What are you reading these days?  (Read 29342 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What are you reading these days?
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2016, 02:54:35 AM »
I have just finish a book called The Seamstress. It is set in Spain and Morocco during the Spanish Civil War and beginning of WW2. Written by Maria Duenas, a gripping yarn about a young woman whose future changes when her fiancé decides to buy her a typewriter...Some great characters and lively action but the ending left me a bit unsatisfied....

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
I visit a city library weekly and borrow  10 - 20 books. I read detective stories, bioghaphies, some chick lit (Jenny Colgan is nice), well anything and everything really. Right now I am re-reading Elizabeth of York the First Tudor Queen by Alison Weir. I'd still recommend her history books ("Elizabeth, the Queen" is great!) and biographies but not her novels / fiction.
I could not survive without books.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »
You would probably like 'The Seamstress' Anne; not sure if it has been translated into Finnish. I should use the public library more often, because if you don't use them 'they' close them (does this happen in Finland?). I buy books in charity shops and when I finish with them, I give them back.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »
Close libraries? NEVER! What a horrible thought! I have been a bit worried because our new government is....hm...a bit diffenret from all the other we´ve had, ever, so the thought has crossed my mind. I visit weekly and I love it. I only buy books I know will be so good I´ll re-read them again and again. Have too many books by far, still!

Is the ending a depreassing one in Seamstress? I hate to read about abused women. It gets me so mad. I read everything in English that has been written in English anyway, so no problem there.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
No, the end is not depressing;  the plot is very exciting and the end is just … well, I am not going to tell you in case you decide to read the book. You said you read a bit of chick-lit; this is chick -lit and a spy story against the background of the Spanish Civil War, a violent, bloody  conflict that split communities and families, with repercussions that went  on for years and years. It would make a great film, imo; in fact Spanish TV made a TV series based on the book.
As for libraries closing, I am afraid that this has happened here; not the main libraries, but small ones. It is all to do with efficiency and cutting ‘unnecessary’ expenses.
At the moment I am looking for something else to read. Any suggestions?

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »
For Milla and anyone else wanting a series of books that make you in a good mood and also feel like you get to peek into life in a foreign country, may I recommens Alexander McCall Smith´s Mma Ramotswe books? I think it is No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series officially. They are set in Botswana, and they are really nice! I´ve just finished re-reading them.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2016, 04:43:11 AM »
My sister in law loves those books. I have never read any of them. I am curious...

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2016, 05:01:30 AM »
They are fairly light reading, and Mma Ramotswe mainly solves life's little problems. There is gentle humour, too. The books make me want to visit Botswana! I wonder if I'd find the warm-hesrted traditional ladies like Mma Ramotswe there? Mma Ramotswe loves tea, too.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
I have never been to Africa and I don’t want to die without going there. I would like to go to Mozambique, which is supposed to be beautiful, and to St. Tomé e Príncipe, where my great-grandmother came from.
I must read Alexander McCall Smith. My sister-in-law is quite boring in her choice of books, but they cannot be boring if you like them, Anne.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »

I am reading The Nest. I really enjoy reading about dysfunctional families. Hey, I've lived it! LOL

REVIEW:
"Every family has its problems. But even among the most troubled, the Plumb family stands out as spectacularly dysfunctional. Years of simmering tensions finally reach a breaking point on an unseasonably cold afternoon in New York City as Melody, Beatrice, and Jack Plumb gather to confront their charismatic and reckless older brother, Leo, freshly released from rehab. Months earlier, an inebriated Leo got behind the wheel of a car with a nineteen-year-old waitress as his passenger. The ensuing accident has endangered the Plumbs' joint trust fund, “The Nest,” which they are months away from finally receiving. Meant by their deceased father to be a modest mid-life supplement, the Plumb siblings have watched The Nest’s value soar along with the stock market and have been counting on the money to solve a number of self-inflicted problems.

Melody, a wife and mother in an upscale suburb, has an unwieldy mortgage and looming college tuition for her twin teenage daughters. Jack, an antiques dealer, has secretly borrowed against the beach cottage he shares with his husband, Walker, to keep his store open. And Bea, a once-promising short-story writer, just can’t seem to finish her overdue novel. Can Leo rescue his siblings and, by extension, the people they love? Or will everyone need to reimagine the futures they’ve envisioned? Brought together as never before, Leo, Melody, Jack, and Beatrice must grapple with old resentments, present-day truths, and the significant emotional and financial toll of the accident, as well as finally acknowledge the choices they have made in their own lives.

This is a story about the power of family, the possibilities of friendship, the ways we depend upon one another and the ways we let one another down. In this tender, entertaining, and deftly written debut, Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney brings a remarkable cast of characters to life to illuminate what money does to relationships, what happens to our ambitions over the course of time, and the fraught yet unbreakable ties we share with those we love".
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

jaerae

« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2016, 09:53:35 PM »
@ milla i watched and enjoyed el tiempo entre costuras/the time in between tv series based on this
further here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1864750/
when i was younger, perhaps it was '93, i visited Spain and had a day in Tangiers, Morocco

@ anne when i consistently get to feeling okay to be out and not facing persistent pop up problems all too often i will get back to volunteering at my local library. it is a lovely safe place with pleasant coworkers

otherwise ... i have scanned thru sites i am compiling a list of for neighbor on wind turbine health risks. she asked for my help due to being overwhelmed and knows i enjoy searching until i am satisfied. although i should get back to my duties oopsie

also i watch Korean and Japanese dramas and anime so i say reading subtitles counts. dramas and variety shows can be hour to hour and a half shows while anime shows usually hit between twenty minutes to half an hour. currently watching: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sad_Love_Story

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:25:32 PM by jaerae »

jaerae

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »
searched thru my watch list and found three Korean dramas that were based on books. alas i cannot find the books ... i tried. each was very popular. sure you probably are not interested in reading subtitles but you can likely find them to watch free online. i just wanted to give my two cents as i could
1st shop of coffee prince http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772685/
personal taste http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1666217/
sungkyunkwan scandal http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2745682/

silenced http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2070649/ was sad but really good movie

in Mandarin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101640/ raise the red lantern
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:09:03 AM by jaerae »

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »
Yes  I searched  in Youtube and the series was called 'El tiempo entre costuras'  which is the original Spanish title of the book. The actress who play s the main part is very beautiful; not sure about the acting but I only saw one episode.

jaerae

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2016, 03:34:09 AM »