News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: when is the best time to exercise?  (Read 1466 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
when is the best time to exercise?
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
I try to do a few stretches every morning but I have lapsed lately because I get up very early and most days I don't feel like it. I do yoga once a week, Tuesdays 6.15pm to 7.30pm.and I know that I need to exercise during the week but I am not sure when. would be grateful for your advise.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: when is the best time to exercise?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »
@milla, and anyone else who struggles with "what time" and all:
What counts is the time of day when one feels one's strongest, most flexible, most alert, etc., as well as a time slot that one can carve out depending on one's schedule.  Since people often run on different body clocks, this differs between people. I can say for myself, that I am NOT a morning exerciser. I've tried too, and even 10 minutes is a real struggle. My most recent attempt to train myself this way was doing yoga Sun Salutations(5 rounds of A+B in Ashtanga style)in the morning soon after getting up. I persisted for 2 whole months really trying to give it a chance but it remained a struggle. Mind you, from my other posts here most of you know that I'm no stranger to working out and all. It's just that I personally do better with concerted physical activity in the afternoon and early evening. Then I feel great and on top of it. People do say that one can train oneself to be a "morning exerciser" but I'm not so sure about that. I'm also one of those people who has to have something to eat soon after getting up, whereas I know people(including my husband) who can wait 2-3 hours before having a single bite. Not this puppy LOL!
But back to you, milla - if you feel best doing it during the evening hours, by all means do so, and don't worry about the morning stretches. Actually, it's better to do something else before stretching anyway. Even a walk to warm up, if one is up for it would help. Don't worry about what other people say about "morning is the best time to exercise" - for them it is, but certainly not for everyone. As we all know there are "larks" and "owls" as far as when people are alert and all. Again, what counts is finding one's own groove that one can stay with. Hope this helps!:)

sashamy

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
The best time to exercise is to have a schedule and stick to it. I walk on the treadmill late in the afternoon 3 to 4 times a week. I always perform yoga most days of the week either before I eat lunch or several hours afterwards ( on an empty stomach) since I once regurgitated a bit while doing the plank and have learned my lesson.

I actually try to plan my appointments around my exercise schedule because exercise is something that I just have to stick with.

When there are days I am very tired I may skip the treadmill ( mind you, I walk a couple miles a day with the dog and only walk/ run on the treadmill to get my heart rate up). But I will do yoga even if I am tired. I may only do easy poses then and always always end with a savasana.

@cara, I used to get up at 5:30 am and jog for an hour before getting ready for work. When I had my daughter I would run before my husband left for work. Now there is no way I could work out in the morning anymore. Don't know why, but later in the morning or afternoon I just seem more motivated and have a bit more energy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:56:20 PM by Lara »

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »
@Lara: I totally agree about having an exercise schedule - I was hinting at that in my other reply but maybe I didn't make that entirely clear. I feel the same way about scheduling other things AROUND my workout time(late afternoon early evening) - extremely little gets in the way of that. You did well to do that getting up at 5:30 during those years but likely that was the ONLY time you had to exercise, which position many people find themselves in, as in, a time slot that doesn't exactly synch up with their bodily/energy preferences. I'd say don't worry these days about not being motivated to work out in the mornings - it sounds like the afternoons are best for you now - just go with that.
About eating and exercise - I hear you about not eating well well before anything like yoga, or Pilates for that matter. Even a regular gym workout, save for a small snack. Other people can eat a sandwich and then go work out, but I dare them to take Pilates class right after LOL!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:44:27 AM »
I agree with Cara and Lara, milla. You have to find the time that works for you.  I've just recently returned to working out again and found that aerobics and weight are best for me. I also recently decided to bite the bullet and join a gym.  Do I have time? Nope but I will find the time and have found the time. The only time that I can work out is after work, which is after 5pm M-F and on Saturday and Sunday it will be earlier - before 10am.  :muscu07:

I believe that it's better to do some form ofr exercise when you can rather than no exercise at all.  It took a month to see what schedule works best for me and family. Let us know how things are working for you. 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
Cara, I am definitely not a morning exerciser. I wake up very early and I just go around in a daze for a while. I need to have a shower, have breakfast, have a little walk in the garden... So in the morning I just walk to work. It is about a mile, and I try to walk at a brisk pace. I don't take the bus unless the weather is truly horrible. I think I prefer to exercise between 5 and 7 but I find it difficult to stick to a routine. During the Summer holidays it's easier. Roll on retirement, when I'll put all my good  intentions into practice!(I hope...)

Bettany

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »
I can totally relate to milla, I also force myself to do some exercises in the morning but I never really feel like it, but I think it's a good way to start the day since I fell really good afterwards and I guess it's a good wake up method :D
Beauty from inside

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »
The best time is whatever time that works for you given your schedule, energy levels at various times of day, etc.  Speaking from my own experience.  I used to try to exercise when I got home from work, but I was mentally and physically exhausted and I just wanted to sit and veg to recharge on some level.  Years ago, when I exercised in the morning before work, it was great for me because I knocked that out before the day started to take away chunks of my time or energy -- and I could stick with it. 

Remember that exercise doesn't have to be an isolated event in and of itself.  Parking the car further from the door when going to the store, taking stairs instead of elevator, walking the dog, etc. all contribute to physical well-being. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:53:44 AM by marci65 »
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
Since my last post, I've joined a gym and been hitting the gym Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. This schedule works best for me.  Tues and Thurs I usually hit the gym at 7pm. Wednesday is my rest day. Monday and Friday, workout at home - concentrate on the tummy.  :lol:

I think you just have to set your mind that this is your schedule similar to my work schedule. I have to be out of bed at 430am M-F and I do it so why not a workout schedule?  I don't have much of a social life but I'm feeling much better, eating better, no pains anywhere and people have noticed that I am losing some weight. I went because of my knee pain and that's gone but I find that I am more energize even with 4hours of sleep on some days.

I agree with Marci about parking further, taking stairs, walking the dog or your DH works, too.  :lol:

I enjoy just walking around the neighborhood.  Walking two or four or six blocks is better than nothing at all.   :wink:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
     Yes indeed, more physical activity as part of one's day can make a big difference!
     In fact, there's a whole thing now about NEAT(non-exercise-activity-thermogenesis)meaning that what one does(or doesn't do)outside of a formal exercise program DOES add up. One can end up burning more calories than one's formal exercise program all day simply because of being more active in general like what Marci says. Which the majority of people don't do these days due to lifestyle. Also, to counteract the increasingly deadly effects of sitting for too long, one really does have to do 5 minutes of something standing, exercising, whatever, per hour of sitting. So that means that say, if one sits for 8 hours a day(and many sit for more than that)one has to get in 40 minutes of activity, BESIDES one's exercise program. Since in many workplaces, a person only gets a couple of breaks plus lunch break if they're lucky, that's too much uninterrupted sitting. Add to this suburbs that don't even have sidewalks, and locations where one has to drive to even get a container of juice, and you see where this is going. Also the fact that many people have so many things crammed into their day that they have no TIME with such a schedule for even basic self-care in this regard. Sitting for long periods of time has also been found to shut OFF one's natural fat-burning mechanisms too, as well as increased risks of heart disease, diabetes etc. As mentioned, that casual activity doesn't have to be all at once. Simply finding ways of getting more steps in for the day is very helpful, and not relying on so-called "labor-saving" devices for every single little thing. They say it takes 10,000 steps per day to stay healthy(and even lose a bit of weight for some). In a culture where physical activity was the norm(and still is in many parts of the world who haven't yet caught up to Western lifestyles).
     For my own part, I know I'm extremely fortunate in that I'm at home, and can get up at will to do something, plus all my exercise, and the fact that I'm on foot most of the time when I'm out, being in a very walkable city. I do know that back in March when I had to show up a couple of days at the courthouse for jury duty, the effects of sitting in those hard seats all day were killer! Even the couple of breaks weren't enough for me! But at home, after a while of sitting at my computer, or art table(they're in an L-shape together), I'll get up and do something in the kitchen, a simple cleaning chore, or pick up my hoop for a song. Twice a day I'm out in the hall to do my stair drills. Outside, I only take the bus if I have a long distance to go, and both my husband and I have been known to walk a good distance back from something on a whim. He uses the car much less since we moved back here 7 years ago. We pretty much only get it out if we have a cross-town shopping trip that involves several stops in different locations, or for a day ride. But for general transport, no. This of course has cut my husband's gas bill WAY down LOL! People living in walkable cities tend to be slimmer than their suburban or non-pedestrian-friendly city counterparts. People remark that when they come to San Francisco how much slimmer people are in general in public than where they came from(in the US that is). Not to say that there aren't overweight/obese people here - there are, but in general much less so. We do have numerous fitness opportunities, pretty easy access to outdoor activities,and it is very walkable here in many neighborhoods. Plus if one lives in a neighborhood with hills, one has added good challenge.
     Sorry this turned out to be so long, and I hope it didn't come across as judgmental in any way, but this does illustrate the importance of finding ways to be generally more active throughout the day. Finding active hobbies is helpful too.

stephenw

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »
I try to do a few stretches every morning but I have lapsed lately because I get up very early and most days I don't feel like it. I do yoga once a week, Tuesdays 6.15pm to 7.30pm.and I know that I need to exercise during the week but I am not sure when. would be grateful for your advise.

I sometimes feel that way, but I always bear in mind that health is wealth and we should exercise to maintain a healthy body. I do exercise at least twice or thrice a week.

Pankitty

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »
For me, the best time to exercise is when it routinely fits into my schedule. The way I dependably integrate exercise into my life is by establishing a routine. That being said, that time has varied at different times of my life.

When I was in my 30s, stopping at the gym after work on my way home was golden! I'd pack my gym bag the night before, take it with me in the morning, hit the gym on my way home and eat a light dinner. My boyfriend (who became my husband) would meet me at the gym. We maintained that routine for years.

Now that we are older and retired we find that going in the morning after breakfast a just a couple chores around the house is the best time. We get the gym in before lunch. If we wait we just never seem to get there.

The point is, not as important what time of the day it fits into your life as long as you set up a consistent routine and then dependably manage around it. Because that sets us up to do it!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »
First, welcome Pankitty!  :welcomepicture:

Your comments about the best time to exercise are well taken. I'm still trying to find the best time for me to exercise but, since my DH and I are about to retire, I think that morning will probably turn out to be the best time for individual workouts. I meet an acquaintance at the gym for a cardio workout (I have yet to work with weights) three times a week when she gets off work. Meeting someone at the gym is the surest way for me to get there so that's set.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart