News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Summer reading choices.....(incl. The Weird Sisters)  (Read 1187 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Summer reading choices.....(incl. The Weird Sisters)
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
Ok, I just noticed that my name pops up WAY too many times in the category here on TTB!  Oh well -- here I am again.  :rollseyes:

I just couldn't wait for DD's summer reading assignments for high school to show up online.  Of course, DD thinks I'm nuts.  {{Somehow she is not quite the reader that I am}}  So FINALLY this morning, there they were.  And it turns out that "The Weird Sisters" is one of the choices. :D   Had to rush over here to tell you all! 

Students can chose from a list of 16 different titles, and I have no idea which one my DD will pick; probably whichever is shortest.  :o   And then she probably will read it the weekend before school starts back up in September.
It looks like there are some great titles in the list.  I think I've only read one other book on the list: The Poinsonwood Bible.
I do know that whichever book she chooses, I'll be reading it right along with her!

She also has a summer assignment for her Advanced Geometry class, which I am not quite as excited about.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Summer reading choices.....(incl. The Weird Sisters)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »
So, what are you reading lately, Lucy?  I find that I don't have the time to read anymore but would like to know what others are reading to that I can add to my list and when I do find the time, I will pick one from the list. 

I'm not so enthuse about geometry, too.  :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:50:12 PM »
That's so cool, Lucy!  I wonder if it was included because of the references to Shakespeare?  Try reminding her that if she reads that one you will be able to discuss it with her.  Also tell her that the sisters get into all sorts of romantic trouble.  Maybe that will help.

I adored The Poisonwood Bible, but it is quite a bit longer if she doesn't like to read.

As for the geometry, she must realize that math won't go away in high school, and staying on top of it will help her so much.  Then she won't have to go in early or stay after school for study help. 
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »

Since you all enjoyed my choice of Weird Sisters, want to take a chance again? This book looks good.....

http://www.amazon.com/Whered-You-Go-Bernadette-Novel/dp/0316204269/ref=zg_bs_books_80
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
I'll take a look at that book and get back to you, chataround.  I absolutely trust you to choose another one for us!

Lucy
- what did your daughter end up reading for her summer book?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
I trust your selections Chataround so I'm game without even really looking at the book. Now to find out how many others might be interested. It is, after all, time to return to school (for the youngsters) and book club for us. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
I think you should read Where'd You Go Bernadette?  It was good!  (I read it last year)

Listy, My DD read The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green.  Seems so so sad, so I chose not to read it!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Fault-Stars-John-Green/dp/0525478817
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »
 Fault In Their Stars was a very, very good book, but you're right, it's very sad.
Tell your daughter that it was recently cast and will be a movie soon!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582846/
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
I think you should read Where'd You Go Bernadette?  It was good!  (I read it last year)

If we read this book will you still join in the discussion, ILuvLucy:pretty_please:
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart