News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Anyone have a dog that occasionally vomits yellow bile?  (Read 482 times)

sashamy

Anyone have a dog that occasionally vomits yellow bile?
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
Sorry for the yucky description, but my dog has been vomiting on and off for the past 3 days. It started Tuesday right after her mornng walk. She vomitted a frothy yellow fluid  - bile. I fed her plain white rice a couple of hours later and she was fine wth that. I fed her rice again around noon and she was fine. So in the evning I scrambled an egg for her and she was fine. The next morning she was fine and so I gave her rice and a few kibble. Everything was fine.At noontime I gave her rice and some more kibble. Then around 5:30 pm found that  she threw up on my bed and I could see remnants of rice, but no kibble. DH took her out for a walk around 8 pm, she came in and drank some water, sat on DH's  lap and half and hour later threw up on him with that yellow bile.

I did not give her anything else for the rest of the evening and this morning right after we came n after our walk she threw up again ( empty stomach). Gave her a teaspoon of cooked rice an hour ago and she is fine. Don't want to call the vet yet, since I have been through this with her before. It usually means too much stomache acid or she ate somethng that did not agree with her.

Just wondering if any of you with a dog ever experienced this and what did you do? I did not mention that this happens once month or every 2 months and the vet does not think it is serious so tells me I don't have to bring her in, just feed the bland diet until it clears up. She is acting fine, but I worry nonetheless.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Anyone have a dog that occasionally vomits yellow bile?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »
I understand worrying about our furry family members. But I also think you can probably trust your vet on this one. Over the years and many, many cats and dogs I've seen them vomit just about every color of the rainbow, including yellow. One dog vomited yellow (bile) fairly often for several weeks and then it just went away. All we could figure was he was finding something in the yard that he thought was tasty but his system didn't like so it triggered excessive vomiting.

Some critters are just more sensitive than others. A good friend currently has a wonderful dog who vomits if he drinks his water too fast. One of my cats can't keep his food down if he doesn't chew it properly - this is usually only a problem with dental treats so we've discontinued them.

You could keep track of when you dog vomits and what she's eaten so that if it doesn't get better or you notice a weight loss you can show the vet exactly what's happening and when.

Give your dog a hug from me and tell her that Auntie Styyna said she's to stick to healthy foods and give her tummy (and you) a rest. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

sashamy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
Auntie Styyna, Sashie is giving you a great big lick! And woof woof!

Sometimes, I think I am so silly worrying about her all the time. She will be 6 later this month and is such a joy. I have always had cats growing up, but this is my first dog and DH's first pet ever. We just adore her and she us.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
I also think you can trust your vet on this.  Some dogs just have sensitive digestive systems and it doesn't take much to set them off.  I'm used to indestructible Golden Retrievers, but my son's dog has had some tummy troubles.  They get him the best food they can afford with natural ingredients, and it seems to help.  He has a gorgeous, glossy coat, too!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce