News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Gel polish  (Read 2622 times)

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
Gel polish
« on: July 20, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »
As a recovering nail biter I must get weekly manicures and keep my nails perfect or I start picking like there is no tomorrow.  Toes too... If they aren't short and perfect.

I was encouraged to try gel manis but didn't do it because of the chemicals but... Vanity won out. I have now had 4 or 5 gel manis and my nails are always perfect.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

Thanna

• Gold Member
Re: Gel polish
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:48:40 AM »
I've done a gel mani at home but I've never tried one from the salon.  Are you getting great wear time?
  • Complexion: Lighter than NC15, fair, dry
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown, straight, dry

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
Wear time 2-3 weeks
Age is a state of mind.

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
wow!  that's impressive!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »
I am in awe! :bowdown:
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »
Thanna, how long is your wear time on your home gel mani? I've never gone beyond two weeks because I get tired of the color.  :grin: 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:20:25 PM »
I love gel polish!!!!!!  I've had a few done in salon but I actually feel like my application is better, even on my "wrong" hand.  I'm so anal.   :lol:  So I've been doing them myself at home for close to two years. 

I usually get 1.5-2wks, but given that regular nail polish doesn't last 24 hours on my hands, I'm very happy with the wear time.  Also, my nails are actually GROWING OUT, which is a friggin' miracle.  I have always had thin, peely, weak, breaking nails.  And I work in a hospital and wash my hands a bazillion times a day, which doesn't help.  The gel polish protects my nails.  I have nice nails for the first time in my life.

So, yeah, I'm all about the gel polish.  :)
  • Complexion: Fair w/ yellow undertones & some redness
  • Eyes: Blue (usually)
  • Hair: Black & gray, thick, wavy/curly
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 06:02:01 AM »
Is gel polish the kind that has to be soaked in acetone for 10 minutes to remove? I need to learn more about this kind of polish and the process. Any tips are welcome!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
Is gel polish the kind that has to be soaked in acetone for 10 minutes to remove? I need to learn more about this kind of polish and the process. Any tips are welcome!

Yes, exactly.  The soaking off is the only party I don't like.  But it's a small price to pay for the rest of the benefits. 

I have a decent collection of polishes built up over the couple of years I've been doing the gel manicures at home, from OPI, Gellish, CND Shellac & Le Chat Perfect Match (comes w/ a regular polish to use on toes or touchups).  I started out using the base/top coats from Shellac but now use the OPI gel color base/top coats (seems to work about the same but is cheaper and comes in a bigger bottle).  The lamp I use is a generic UV manicure light I found on Amazon, and it works really well.

I like that if I use a light neutral color for the gel polish, I can use a regular nail polish over it to change up the color if I get bored before two weeks is up.  I've also heard that you can make a "gel sandwich" by using a regular nail polish between gel base and top coats, cured with the UV or LED light.  But I haven't tried that.

I've learned a lot by trial and error.  And the nail care forum on the Purse Forum is really good for color swatches and info:  http://forum.purseblog.com/nail-care/.

Happy to share my experience.  :)  Any specific questions?
"It's like an explosion on top of your head."  - My son, on why he likes my curly hair & his

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
Thanks, FooDog, for the great information. It cleared up a lot for me and piqued my interest in gel polishes even more.

I do have a couple of questions:

Is the acetone soak for removal terribly drying for the nails and surrounding skin?

Do you go without any polish in between applications to allow your nails to "breathe" or is that not an issue for you? Even with regular nail polish, my nails seem to do better if I remove all polish and leave them bare for at least a few days every couple of weeks.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Thanna

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
I've done the gel sandwich and it works well.  I don't do it often because I like a ridiculous amount of top coat!  It's a technique I use when I need a mani to last through a vacation.  Got 10 days of wear time out of my last holiday manicure.

FooDog

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reply! 

I don't find the soak off terribly drying.  I mean, I have dry hands and nails anyway, and the acetone doesn't make them worse than they already were.  I use the acetone-soaked-cotton ball in tin foil wrap method, as opposed to the acetone in bowl method.  And I always rub a nail oil into my cuticles and use a good hand moisturizer when I'm done doing my nails.

And I don't generally give my nails a break in between.  Because if I do, they all break off -- sometimes painfully low on the nail bed -- and I have to start all over again growing them out.  Again, my nails have always been weak like that, so not caused by the gel polish habit.  The gel polish actually protects them and allows them to grow.  I do know that giving your nails an occasional break is the recommended thing to do, but it doesn't work out well for me.

Thanks, FooDog, for the great information. It cleared up a lot for me and piqued my interest in gel polishes even more.

I do have a couple of questions:

Is the acetone soak for removal terribly drying for the nails and surrounding skin?

Do you go without any polish in between applications to allow your nails to "breathe" or is that not an issue for you? Even with regular nail polish, my nails seem to do better if I remove all polish and leave them bare for at least a few days every couple of weeks.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »
Thanks, FooDog. And no need to apologize for taking a while to reply. It's not like I've been breathlessly waiting to embark on a whole new nail routine. :)

Your answers, however, do cause me to give gel polish serious consideration!

I had never heard of soaking a cotton ball with acetone and holding it in place with a foil wrap. I assume you find that as effective as a soak in a dish of acetone. Silly question but do you use small or large cotton balls for that purpose?

No rush to reply either. I'm just getting in the habit of doing my nails regularly right now so it will be a while before I try gel polish. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »

I had never heard of soaking a cotton ball with acetone and holding it in place with a foil wrap. I assume you find that as effective as a soak in a dish of acetone. Silly question but do you use small or large cotton balls for that purpose?
When I had my first gel mani from a salon, I came back two weeks later and this is the process used to take off the gel.  The instructions from the home gel kit I purchased also recommend taking off the gel this way, too.  I've often use this technique to take off glitter polish.

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »

When I had my first gel mani from a salon, I came back two weeks later and this is the process used to take off the gel.  The instructions from the home gel kit I purchased also recommend taking off the gel this way, too.  I've often use this technique to take off glitter polish.

This is how they take off my gel polish at my salon.
Age is a state of mind.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »
I've not tried the gel sandwich but I've tried the process where I go thru the gel mani process without adding the polish like FD so that I can use different nail polish without doing too much harm to my actual nails. I'll have to try the sandwich when I find a design I really like and want to keep it longer than a week. 

Luella

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »
I love gel nails.  I think that they look great and really do last a lot longer.  I have been getting mine done for about a year now.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
I do love the gel but I just hate taking them off... :wornout: