News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: TTB access issue this morning  (Read 899 times)

SilverCrown

• Administrator
TTB access issue this morning
« on: August 02, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »
Beauties,

It seems that our host thinks it's OK to do major system maintenance without advance notice. We have been down this morning for at least a short while and, according to technical support, it might not be over for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours. It's now about 8:30 am CDT, just for reference.

Hopefully they have completed all maintenance and we won't experience further outages but if we do we at least have some time frame of when to expect full restoration.

Also, just in case something goes terribly amiss in their process, I do daily backups of all the data (posts, user information, etc.) that has been generated over the years TTB has been in existence. It might take a day or so but I can restore without losing more than part of one day's data. :)

Keep your fingers crossed this morning!
-SilverCrown

SilverCrown

• Administrator
Re: TTB access issue this morning
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »
And the problems continue. Here's their latest update, about an hour ago:

The resolution towards fixing the data center network issues continues. You'll continue to see sites working and then not working (as well as not work at all depending on your connection and location) until the data center has this resolved. We'll keep you updated.
-SilverCrown

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:09:08 PM »
It appears that our host, Hostgator, has been under DDOS (direct denial of service) attacks since about 6 am this morning. They are being continually attacked so, while they are working nonstop to prevent the attacks from succeeding, they are still experiencing intermittent outages.

It's not clear whether yesterday's outages were of the same nature or not. Their parent company hasn't even acknowledged the DDOS attacks, simply stating they are having network problems. Hostgator, however, posted the following:

Our Provo data center experienced a large scale inbound attack this morning August 3rd starting around 6:05 AM CDT. Our DC was able to block the traffic at the edge however some sites and server connectivity were affected before they were able to fully mitigate this attack.

That was followed a little after noon by this:

We're currently seeing ongoing attacks toward multiple targets within the data center. Our data center is working the attacks as they occur but you may notice site disruptions and limited connectivity as they occur.

As you might imagine, many angry Hostgator customers are in search of a new provider. I will wait to see how things run after the dust settles before making any such determination. Overall, since no company can provide guaranteed 100% uptime, I have had very few issues with Hostgator. Their customer service personnel were very responsive when I detected a problem stemming from their end of things and they have no control over currently being targeted for a DDOS attack. Perhaps they could harden their systems so they aren't quite so vulnerable and that's one thing I will be looking for them to address.

All that we can do here at TTB is remain patient. I'm encouraged by the number of people that I saw logged in just now when I was finally able to get through to post this.

Thanks for hanging in there in spite of the inconvenience!
-SilverCrown

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »
All this shall pass :-)
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »
George Harrison?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:15 AM »
Hmmm ... not sure ... brain froze :-)
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »
Looking at my time stamp, I see I was posting in my sleep!

All Things Must Pass was the album George released after the Beatles broke up in 1970.  Not that anyone could have been expected to know what I was talking about at two a.m. :rollseyes: :rollseyes:
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce