News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Baking for the first time in ages  (Read 1228 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Baking for the first time in ages
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »
My son and his girlfriend are having a housewarming party tomorrow and asked me to bring dessert.

Yesterday and this morning I made two batches of batter for Madeleines and refrigerated them. Madeleines are best served the same day they are baked so I'll bake them tomorrow morning before head to their home which is a couple hours away. Once up there I'm going to pick up some ice cream to have ice cream and cookies and I'm taking some homemade raspberry sauce for ice cream topping as well.

My brother, when he heard I was bringing dessert, put in a plea for a banana cream pie that I've made in the past and he, obviously, loves. Since his birthday is this month I decided to do that, too. Right now the crust is cooling and soon I'll start making the banana cream pudding from scratch for the filling. Then, instead of meringue, I pile whipped cream on top. Oh, and I use vanilla wafers to make the crust and line the side of the pie pan, with a few tucked into the whipped cream for decoration.

I had forgotten how many steps baking can require but I have found it unexpectedly energizing. :)

Anyone else cooking up something that they are excited about?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
Re: Baking for the first time in ages
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 04:53:29 AM »
That sounds like a fun, celebratory pie, Styyna!

I'm lazily putting off making a lemon tea cake for a get-together tomorrow.

Attached is a photo I took from when I made it some time ago - not a very good picture as it isn't even cut into, but it's all I have. It's basically a crumble with lemon filling in between - the crumble is pressed into the baking tin as a base, the lemon mixture poured in, then more crumble sprinkled on top. Super simple, lovely and lemony. Good as a warmed dessert with cream or other preferred topping.

Given the time difference between us, I'm not sure if you've been to the housewarming or not. If not, enjoy! If so, I'm sure your banana cream pie is now non-existent! Your other culinary efforts sound very impressive too.

• Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »
Okay, ladies, my mouth is watering. Styyna, I'm sure you wowed the housewarming guests with your Madeleines and banana cream pie. The whipped cream on top would make it extra luscious!

LemonMyrtle, the lemon crumble looks and sounds fabulous. I so love lemony desserts. Here is a link to a lemon ricotta cake that is wonderful, especially for breakfast. I reduce the sugar to one cup and add a half teaspoon if salt when making it. It uses almond meal in place of flour, so it is a lower carb recipe:

http://cakeletsanddoilies.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/lemon-ricotta-and-almond-flourless-cake.html?m=1
  • Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

sashamy

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
The only thing I baked this summer was a sour cream peach pie. I thought I would make another one before DD goes back to college, but that is not happening. Not enough time unfortunately.

I think I will wait for cooler weather to get more ambitious about baking. Your post made my mouth water!!!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:17:53 AM »
I haven't baked for ages, but my DD asked me to bake a cake for a friend's birthday next week. Not sure if I will make my own, standard Victoria sponge or try something more adventurous. Your cakes look scrumptious and I am being a good girl! even though I am on holidays and have plenty of time, I have stayed away from the oven and the mixing bowls.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
Y'all are killin' me!

Everything sounds and looks superb.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »
Oh my, I really started something that's both great and not-so-great! All the cakes and desserts look and sound truly delicious but I'm still on a diet! I went off the wagon this weekend to eat a few Madeleines but avoided the ice cream. I decided there wouldn't be enough banana cream pie to go around so I just gave that to my brother who was in a world of delight and bragged to people about receiving the pie. When I left their home yesterday morning, though, it had yet to be tested and it's been a long time since I made one so I hope it was good.

I love anything lemony or with almonds so those have great appeal to me. I have to ask, milla, what is Victoria sponge? Probably something just as decadent (by my current standards, decadent is any sweet that's not on my diet which is most sweets) as everything else but I still want to know. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
Here's a link to the lemon tea cake recipe - SO easy, SO delish.

The measurements are metric but easily imperialised, I'm sure!

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/lemon-tea-cake-L2340.html

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:57:32 AM »
I get really confused with cups, especially as Australian cup and American cups are not the same (are they?) . I have to convert it all to imperial, otherwise I am lost.

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 02:31:12 AM »
Milla, an Australian cup holds 250 mls, an American 240 mls and the UK 225 mls, but for dry ingredients it's difficult to find a conversion.

You're betwixt and between with the use of metric measurements in the UK still, I believe. I remember the conversion period in Australia. It took a while, but I can't imagine returning to imperial measurements for cooking now. Height is another matter - 168 centimetres just doesn't provide me with the instant understanding of 5 ' 6 " !

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
Thanks for the conversions. I find it really confusing!For weighing  I prefer imperial, for measuring I go with metric. I have an Australian book of cakes that look fantastic but I am scared of using the recipes in case I mess it up.