News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: a word of caution...  (Read 2129 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: a word of caution...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Sugar(the ADDED sugar, not sugar found naturally in fruits) itself doesn't have all that many calories(some 16 per teaspoon), but its action on the body definitely IS fattening, eaten in any but a very small amount. This is why anyone who is serious about losing weight has to pretty much nix commercial baked goods and desserts and other processed food from their diet. Also even AFTER one has lost the weight, to keep the new good habits going. Fruit however stays. A lot of people got the whole fruit phobia thing "all that sugar!" but it does NOT act in the same way in the body as processed sweets do. Right now, whether one wants to lose weight or not, just for one's health, the very worst form of sweetener that is out there right now on this side of the pond anyway is high-fructose corn syrup that is cheap, and in a whole ton of processed foods, including things one wouldn't even think it would be in but there it is. It also puts weight on people even more and faster than regular old sugar does! All the more reason to eat foods that don't need a label, like fresh foods for example. If one must have something baked, strictly DIY with good ingredients for one's treat. At least one knows what went into it, and since one didn't just pick it up at the store and had to go to the trouble of making it, therefore much less of an impulse item.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I think I have a vague idea of what meringues are but that's it. Is there a lot of sugar in them?

Even if there is, maybe that's OK. I will allow myself occasional sweet treats when I'm done dieting but they will be consumed thoughtfully. I think sweets, like everything else, are OK in strict moderation. I also think that it's important to be aware of hidden sugars in prepared foods like catsup. I feel that by being mindful about my sugar (including HFCS) intake and avoiding it when possible that an occasional treat is not only OK but good for the soul.

Another thing I have done in the past when I've had a sweet craving is to hold off until I'm near a shop with exquisite handmade chocolates and then I get myself one large truffle. A third of one of those is intensely rich enough to satisfy me for a long time and I share the rest. In other words, I'm not about to waste calories on cheaply made candy bars. I save up for one piece of the truly decadent stuff!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »
@stynna: Sounds like a sensible approach!:)

sashamy

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »
I. I save up for one piece of the truly decadent stuff!

I love the way you think!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
Indeed, about saving one calories for the good stuff from time to time. Why waste time on the kind of junk I mentioned earlier above(the stuff that's too too sweet and with the HFCS and all). It's well-known that a single piece or two of extra-dark chocolate satisfies far more, and with a lot less caloric and sugar-damage than a whole package of ultra-sweet(although often billed as "low-fat" or "fat-free" thereby leading many to think they're doing the right thing by eating these)cookies etc. Plus, compared to a lot of desserts out there, that ultra-dark chocolate has a lot less sugar although it has some.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 04:26:42 AM »
This is what we call meringues here, I am sure you have them in the US:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2445/ultimate-meringue

You can use them as a base for other desserts, I just love the plain ones, but as I said, I am a good girl and I don’t go anywhere near…
I agree with Cara, I would never give up on fruit, especially citrus, apples and berries.  Luckily I prefer dark, bitter chocolate. I have a square or two with a coffee every now and then.
Having said that I am a good girl, I have to confess that yesterday I took my SIL out to tea. Not at Fortnum and Mason, but somewhere a little more modest but very pleasant:

http://www.thefanmuseum.org.uk/

If any of you ever comes to London we must go there!

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
Speaking of meringue and far too much sugar, an Australian summer wouldn't be complete without a pavlova - meringue topped with fruit and cream. Here's one I made earlier this year. It's inexpertly but lovingly made and is a bit heavy on the sifted icing sugar. I also make a pavlova roll which is like a swiss roll but it's rolled meringue with a fruit and cream filling.

I must be the least healthy and conscientious person on this thread! Not really. I make sweet things as a treat for get-togethers only and I do enjoy it. This evening I ate chicken, brussel sprouts, parsnip, turnip, celery, carrot, leek, onion and parsley. Promise!
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »
That looks wonderful, and I wouldn't call it inexpertly made! I just love meringues, even without the cream, but as I said, I am staying away because I know that one would not be enough for me!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »
LemonMyrtle - that doesn't look inexpertly made at all! It looks and sounds delicious!

Milla - Yes, we have meringues here in the US. I just wasn't sure they were the same as what you were talking about. And they are basically egg whites and sugar. Still, an occasional treat shouldn't hurt but I hear you about how hard it would be to stop at one. :)

The link to The Fan Museum was fascinating. I learned what a monture is and enjoyed reading the brief history. The Orangery looks to be a wonderful place for tea and I liked the menu. I wish we had such places around here!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
That looks exactly like a cake my great-aunt used to bake.  We called it Auntie's Never-Fail Cake and I still have the recipe.  She used to tie her mixer to her kitchen stool since the batter had to go for 20 minutes.  It was a wonderful cake, with a glaze, icing, or just plain.  Everybody loved it!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
I so enjoyed baking and the end results that I fear I couldn't stop at once a month! Fortunately, both DH and I are now on a mission to lose weight so, other than for special occasions, I won't be baking in the near future.

I must say, though, that the recipes for date pudding with toffee sauce do have me drooling... :drool2:
We are, too, Styyna.  Of course, DH already lost 23 lbs.  He jogs and his work has a full gym that he can use for free.  He will be joining the gym I belong to shortly so that we can workout together. Luckily, the gym has a babysitting area.  :)

Milla, that's looks simply delish!! :knife & fork:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
SusieQ - how lucky you will be to be able to workout together with your DH! If we had a gym in our area you can bet my DH and I would join. The most fit I've ever been was when a friend and I went to the gym together. It was so much more fun knowing someone at the gym and having someone to talk to while waiting for a machine or working on a treadmill. While I paid attention to form I was still able to converse about other interesting things and the time flew by.

You go girl!  :cheer: :sallesport: :muscu07: :cardio: