News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Date pudding  (Read 793 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Date pudding
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:18:13 AM »
(I figured this was a more appropriate place for my response from another topic.)

milla - Only one of the date pudding recipes I found calls for anything like steaming and that one just says to put the pan with pudding into a larger pan with water in it while it cooks for a little less than an hour.

Could this pudding be known by another name in your country? I've found date pudding and sticky date pudding, usually with a caramel or toffee sauce to accompany it and a recommendation to serve warm with ice cream.

The ones I found sound delicious but if I'm going to try it I'd like it to be authentic. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

LemonMyrtle

• Platinum Member
  • Hello Possums!
Re: Date pudding
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »
I only know sticky date pudding with sauce, Styyna, which is a family favourite in Australia. I can highly recommend it even if it isn't the authentic date pudding. Oh, I am SO hungry right now!
  • Eyes: Hazel
  • Hair: Grey
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
I haven't had breakfast yet and so I'm feeling the pull to go into the kitchen and whip something decadent up. :)

I'll resist, though, since I don't think we have any dates.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
I haven't made a date pudding in years. My MIL taught me to do it, but I have never written down the recipe. I am sure that my SIL has got one, and I can ask her. What used to put me off, more than the steaming, was the suet which you are supposed to use for the pastry, but now there's vegetable suet; a much healthier alternative. My MIL didn't even use a pudding basin, she just rolled it in ball, wrapped it in greaseproof paper (baking parchment) and in a muslin cloth,  tied at the top. You don't have to steam it for very long. It is not like a meat pudding that has to be steamed for hours.
I'll ask my SIL for the recipe.