News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Need to find a new moisturizer  (Read 2351 times)

sashamy

Need to find a new moisturizer
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »
I have totally given up on Avon and just threw out the jar of Anew Platinum. The smell made me physically ill. The other Anew moisturizer I used previously has been discontinued/ reformulated and I don't like that either.

I am not looking for a " miracle" moisturizer, just one that is lightweight and hydrating. So I am basically looking for one that contains hyaluronic acid. I have been doing some intense research on the internet (battling another sinus infection ugh!) and most of the current moisturizers have all the bells and whistles that I don't need or want. I have been thinking about ordering some ofvthe Paula' Choice samples to see how I like those. Plus I don't want to break the bank on this either. Any recommendations?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Need to find a new moisturizer
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
Try the CeraVe AM or PM lotions. Very moisturizing, but not greasy. At first I thought the PM lotion was too light to do anything much, but it's surprisingly good! The AM lotion is slightly heavier, and has SPF 30 in it. Both have hyaluronic acid and niacinamide, and are NOT gimmicky in the least. Fragrance-free too. Last but not least, available at any drugstore.
I know, a lot of creams and lotions now have entirely too much going on, including often really awful fragrances too.:(
Hope this helps!:)

sashamy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »
I saw this at CVS, and hyaluronic acid was not one of the firt 5 ingredients so was not sure how hydrating it is. I have also been resrching the Aveeno line. Would be nice to get samples so I could try it before i buy it.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »
Trust me, since I'm older(and likely a bit drier although not completely dry for someone my age), both of these are very hydrating. That hyaluronic acid doesn't necessarily have to be at the top of the list to do good - it's the combo of the rest of the main ingredients that also matter. A cosmetic chemist could tell you a lot more though. Even Aveeno is too gimmicky for me personally - but that's just me. I think you can get sample of all the products from the CeraVe website - I did quie awhile ago and settled on the hydrating cleanser, and the AM and PM lotions out of their line-up. But I'm sure the plain cream is good, and I hear good things about their SA Lotion and Cream as well. SA stands for salicylic acid and is good for exfoliating and people with KP on their bodies. The KP people usually need SA to exfoliate hair follicles and pores, so that moisturizers will work better. I know, I went slightly off track here, but the CeraVe products do really get high marks for being effective and gentle. Perfect for people who need extra hydration without extra stuff, are sensitive, or are on medications that dry their skin out(like Rx retinoids, etc.) No, I don't work for CeraVe, just a happy customer that has settled into a few of their products. So reasonably-priced for what you get too - a plus for us budget-minded folks:)

christinedenice

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »
I second cara's rec for CeraVe, Lara. I LOVE the PM lotion. I prefer it to the AM one which is not as hydrating on me, and I'm not crazy about the whitish consistency (I know that's the sunscreen part). I use the PM lotion as my daily moisturizer and on alternate nights with Renova.
  • Complexion: NW30-35, thin dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue-gray/aqua-gold
  • Hair: Dark blonde with light highlights, fine, thin
"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely." -- Roald Dahl

sashamy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:28:20 AM »
You ladies are so convincing that I will try the CeraVe.

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »
I started experimenting with facial oils and serums about 6 months ago.  I love them.  They are more moisturizing and less clogging for me than moisturizer creams were, once I figured out what my skin liked best.  If you are interested, Garden of Wisdom offers oil sample sets -- you decide what type of skin condition you have (they have extensive info/descriptions of symptoms/characteristics to help with this) and then you choose 3 oils from a drop-down menu of like 20+ oils.  I think they also have several hyaluronic acid serums that could be combined with the oil(s).  GOW also has a forum to ask questions, get suggestions, or you could contact Markey or Jen directly from their home page. 

• Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
If anyone is as noticing of whitish-whitening aspects of anything with sunblocks in it, I am LOL! It's something I positively hate, even though my skintone is only NC25-30. That aspect tends to be really noticeable on those of us with any warmth and any depth beyond being really fair with our skin tones. Anyhow, I found the CeraVe AM SPF to blend in far better than a lot of sunblocks I've tried, such that there's no whitening effect whatsoever. There are a lot of sunblocks out there that might be good products, but leave one looking like Caspar the Friendly Ghost. Mixing foundation in with them doesn't necessarily fix it for me either - it still looks "off". Believe me, I tried! One of the WORST offenders in this regard was the commonly recommended Eucerin Daily Protection SPF30(I think that's the name of it, and it came in a pink and white bottle) - OMG! So whitening, and pore-clogging to boot!:(
There are newer CeraVe sunblocks out, including one for the face(not to be confused with the CeraVe AM lotion), that people do say is rather whitening. I was going to try this until I heard that. And one does have to wear a separate moisturizer underneath that newer sunblock, as it's not moisturizing like the AM lotion is. But even with the AM lotion, I do wear a bit of Cetaphil Cream underneath to boost it.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »
I started experimenting with facial oils and serums about 6 months ago.  I love them.  They are more moisturizing and less clogging for me than moisturizer creams were, once I figured out what my skin liked best.  If you are interested, Garden of Wisdom offers oil sample sets -- you decide what type of skin condition you have (they have extensive info/descriptions of symptoms/characteristics to help with this) and then you choose 3 oils from a drop-down menu of like 20+ oils.  I think they also have several hyaluronic acid serums that could be combined with the oil(s).  GOW also has a forum to ask questions, get suggestions, or you could contact Markey or Jen directly from their home page.
I think this is going to be the next trend in the beauty world.  I've been using facial oils along with my regular moisturizer day and night and I really can't say enough about it. 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
The idea of an oil sounds nice and all, but wouldn't they be awfully GREASY under one's moisturizer and makeup? Just curious! I tried using just a little bit of my shea butter and coconut oil a couple of times under moisturizing sunblock and it ruined my makeup and made me a greasy mess, frankly. But shea butter or something rich worn WITHOUT makeup is fab - good for night-time maybe, depending on one's skin. Maybe if one's skin completely lacks oil(which truly dry skin types tend to do)then an oil is beneficial. But if a skin needs water as well, then a hydrating agent. Sealing in existing water helps both when skin is damp, and the skin still has some of its natural water intact, like in younger skin. But we do tend to lose body water overall as we age, and this is reflected in our skin, even if we had slightly oily to very oily skin types. So it seems that the right balance of oil and humectants is necessary, particularly as we naturally dry out to some degree or another. I have to wonder about the people who have naturally dry skin types from the get go, like in their late teens. What are they going to do when they're middle-aged? Again, just curious!

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
In my experience, no, they are not greasy under sunscreen or makeup -- the oils absorb well into my skin.  I don't use a moisturizer on top of the oils; the oils are in place of a moisturizer for me.  I find that different oils have different "finishes".  For example, rose hip seed oil has a dry finish (feels almost lighly powdery) but argan takes a bit longer to absorb on my skin.  I add a drop of argan to some of the thicker oil blends or serums I've used to help with spreadability. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
I've been using oils for my face, neck and eyes for over a year and they are not greasy at all. Per Marci65, they absorb quickly.  I use my facial oil day and night underneath my other daily routine.  If anything, my skin has gone from combo to normal. 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
Paula's Choice does have some nice creams, a few of which are simple, fragrance-free, and not full of actives.  Have a look at her HydraLight or Earth Sourced Natural moisturizers. Today is the last day for her free shipping offer if you want samples, but there will be a new offer tomorrow. :)

I agree that CeraVe is a good option and probably the least expensive, plus fragrance-free and has niacinamide.

One other brand to consider is Olay, especially the Total Effects or Regenerist ones.  I've lost track of which is which, but some are fragrance-free.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

sashamy

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
In doing my online research I came across this facial moisturizer called DML Facial Moisturizer. It is sold through online through drugstore.com. I think I will compare its ingredients to CeraVe. I think the two are comparable in price.

My biggest problem is that my face gets really dry in the winter because of inside heat despite having a whole house humidifier and walking outside in the cold several times a day with the dog. My cheeks and under eye area are the driest parts of my face and I really need hydration more than I need antiaging stuff.

I really like what I am reading about oils, but don't know if they will help keep my skin hydrated.

Why is this harder than finding a new foundation?

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
I have been using oils also, for a couple of years now.  My skin is slightly dry.  Oils never make my skin look or feel greasy.  They are a great way to amp up your regular moisturizer when you need it.  I use and love both argan and rosehip seed oils. 

The trick is to use a tiny amount and pat it lightly all over or on dry areas only.  I may use a little more at night, but even for day they work fine under makeup.  Give the oil a couple of minutes to sink in, and if you happen to get too much you can always blot the excess.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce