News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Fall Reading Selection?  (Read 630 times)

Esthy

• Bronze Member
Fall Reading Selection?
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »
Hello all, Fall is upon us. Days are getting a bit nippy, overcast skies, wind rustling through fallen leaves! I am one of those oddballs who loves a rainy day (even over a really sunny day). I like the feeling of rain in the air, the scent of damp earth and leaves. Anyway, my reading and Netflix queue usually ends up changing to reflect the seasons (by accident really). I end up reading/watching looking for cozy, rainy night type mysteries. Just started 'Shadow of the Wind' by Ruiz Zafon. Highly recommend if you love things with a Borges twist. Just finished watching Season 1 of the 'The Fall' (huge Gillian Anderson fan, very scary, couldn't stop watching, fascinating, but have mixed emotions about it overall). Currently watching the British version of Wallander. Braunaugh's great! What's on everyone's autumn reading list?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:23:52 PM by Esthy »
  • Complexion: very fair, NW10ish
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: blond, straight, sad
I gave my beauty and my youth to men. I am going to give my wisdom and experience to animals.
Brigitte Bardot

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Fall Reading Selection?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »
We loved Wallender and have seen every episode.  Now we are anticipating some new ones coming in 2014.  Other favorite British mysteries are the new Sherlock (also supposed to be returning next year), Waking the Dead (cold cases), Foyle's War (WWII, but saw the new Cold Wars-era installment last night on PBS), and Midsomer Murders.  We are starting to recognize every working British actor!

Do you like science fiction at all?  If so, I highly recommend Fringe.

We only got through one episode of The Fall.  We loved her in X-Files, but this one just didn't do it for us.  Should we give it another chance?

Like you, I also love rainy days.  I think I was meant to live in England!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Esthy

• Bronze Member
Re: Fall Reading Selection?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
Will definitely check out Fringe, ty for the suggestion! As to The Fall, like I said, I have mixed feelings about it, so IDK if you want to continue. The focus is of course a serial killer who is killing (as they always do) beautiful women. I end up watching because I get fascinated. Who does these things and why? But at the heart of this genre is a deep element of misogyny. We have tuned in to watch a murder (or series of murders) get solved, but we have also tuned in to see beautiful women. Getting killed. There is a certain sickness to this genre, the mainstreaming of which I trace back to Hitchcock's Psycho. I was similarly drawn into the Danish mini series The Killing. I wanted to know who done it. But then again we can't get away from the subject matter: Killing. Of a woman. And as a culture, it seems we can't take our eyes off it. It is disturbing. To bring this back to thread around to books, I had somewhat the same feeling about Bolano's 2666. I wanted a literary slant on the femicide Ciudad Juarez, and very loosely this is what I got. Yet I also got many graphic crime scene descriptions. Mostly of murdered women. The writer was a genius, the book was what I classify as a genius novel... but I wanted to take a shower after reading it.
  • Complexion: very fair, NW10ish
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: blond, straight, sad
I gave my beauty and my youth to men. I am going to give my wisdom and experience to animals.
Brigitte Bardot