News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Do Have a Cheap Secret?  (Read 2050 times)

Esthy

• Bronze Member
Do Have a Cheap Secret?
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:00:02 AM »
So, my regular, signature perfume of 14 years (Filigree, by the Thymes Ltd) is a fragrance for all occasions. It's priced middle-range. It can be soft, comforting and homey. It can be warm, elegant and feminine. It wears as well on flannel PJs as it does a cashmere wrap. Anyhow, so that's a lady that can and should be taken out. You can sleep with her and take her out to a chic restaurant or gathering of snooty in-laws. She is never clingy, cloying or screechy. But do you have a mistress fragrance, a secret, dirt cheap thrill that no matter how you dress her up, you still can't take her out? I do! I always keep a few naughties on the side.  At the moment it is VS Coconut Passion (more vanilla and sugar, with a comforting dry-down that hints at coconut). The coconut made me think it would be a summary, sunscreen, coconut scent alla Bobbi Brown Beach. But newp, it's quite warm and intimidate feeling in a wintery snug sort of way. She's the kind of girl that keeps a cute little apartment and favors teddies and and fuzzy slippers. I think she still sleeps with lots of stuffed animals. Can't quite picture her fully dressed, let alone dressed stylishly (I imagine her jeans are a bit too tight for comfort, she may favor horrific faux designer handbags, and her jackets always look a like the manufacture skimped on fabric because they are just too short to be practical). Poor girl, she probably never looks properly dressed when out and about! But this is why we only mingle at home. The scent? It's a bit like the BBW frags such as Fresh Sugar (DCed) and Warm Vanilla Sugar, however unlike all frags BBW, it does not make me ill. It also reminds me how much I like Jessica Simpson Fancy. So do you have a fragrance Other Woman who is absolutely lovely and charming but who you just know won't cut it in polite society? 
  • Complexion: very fair, NW10ish
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: blond, straight, sad
I gave my beauty and my youth to men. I am going to give my wisdom and experience to animals.
Brigitte Bardot

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Do Have a Cheap Secret?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »
Mine would have to be the past-her-prime woman I used to be comfortable taking anywhere but now am a bit embarrassed to be seen with.  I keep her around for old time's sake, but those who know me would be surprised, if not shocked, to see us together.  She's a little like a Sophia Loren or Elizabeth Taylor - oozing sex appeal in that earthy, sensual, and especially unashamed way.  Meanwhile I am too respectable to hang out with such a floozy. :grin: 

The name of this woman (can't quite call her a girl!) is Tabu.  You must understand that she was deliberately created to be the fragrance of a whore, full of amber, resins, and spice.  At my age, one should only wear such a fragrance for intimate occasions...not for the whole world to know!   :perfume:
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Esthy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »
Makinalist, ahhh Tabu! I like this fragrance too and it makes me nostalgic for a beloved great aunt who passed away. She stayed glamorous until the end, and I remember how other women in her assisted living community used to come over to her apartment to borrow things from her fabulous closet. I think if I told her it was a perfume for a puta, she would have said something like "And so what? I must be one nice smelling puta!" I used to wear  French Vanilla, also by Dana, years ago. I tried it again recently and found it smelled like some kind of synthetic rose air freshner with random hints of plastic vannilla, a real scrubber. And I used to really like it! But I still think Tabu is nice. And oh hell, I'd take her out any night just because it seems like a good time would be had by all :-* I miss my aunt, so I can never think anything bad about Tabu! Funny how smell is so deeply connected to memory. *Spritzes you with Tabu*
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:09:42 PM by Esthy »
  • Complexion: very fair, NW10ish
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: blond, straight, sad
I gave my beauty and my youth to men. I am going to give my wisdom and experience to animals.
Brigitte Bardot

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »
What a nice memory!  I wore Tabu when I was much younger and didn't mind calling attention to myself.  Now I would feel a bit self-conscious about it.  I do use the perfumed dusting powder often, however!  A cheap thrill, to be sure, and nice for fall. :)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Marta

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
Mostly I use pure essential oils,  lately I have used a drop of patchouli with a drop of lavendar,  everyone calls it my happy scent.  Essential oils mixed with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil makes for a very nice smelling glossing oil for the hair also, and for us olders the oil helps keep the hair soft and shiny and not so coarse and fly away.

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »
I use all the scents by Caudalie.  Women often remark, "Mmmmm, you smell nice.  Fresh."  Too bad I'm not gay right now.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
I use all the scents by Caudalie.  Women often remark, "Mmmmm, you smell nice.  Fresh."  Too bad I'm not gay right now.
Sue!!! :rofl:  Pardon me while I clean my monitor.  :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 06:43:24 PM »
What a nice memory!  I wore Tabu when I was much younger and didn't mind calling attention to myself.  Now I would feel a bit self-conscious about it.  I do use the perfumed dusting powder often, however!  A cheap thrill, to be sure, and nice for fall. :)

Listy, we Have another fragrance in common!! Tabu was my favorite in my late teens. I smelled it recently and thought....Whoa! wwwaaayyy too strong.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »
Musk oil (synthetic) that can be found in any drugstore.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown