News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: How many pairs of shoes do you need?  (Read 6549 times)

newdawn

Re: How many pairs of shoes do you need?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 08:19:04 AM »
I find it so difficult to buy shoes and from your posts I guess I am not alone... I don't want to look frumpy but I cannot wear heels or narrow fitting shoes for a whole day so I keep a pair of smart shoes at work and I walk to & from work in my trainers. IAt the moment I have two or three pairs which I never use and I'm going to donate to a charity shop. In order to stop making silly purchases I tried to compile a list of essential shoes.
Here goes:
1 pair ankle boots
1 pair ballerina shoes (not completely flat!)
1 pair knee high boots
1 pair of trainers
1 pair smart shoes
1 pair sandals
1pair lace ups

7 pairs! What are your views on this momentous question? and where do you find smart and comfortable shoes?  :cry:

I would add one extra pair of trainers if you're goign to work out in them. Might be good to air one pair out!  :lol:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
Since my first post, I have added to my collection: I bought a pair of suede ankle boots (taupe) and a pair of brogues. Both Clarks, both sales bargains!

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
For the last month I've had exactly one pair of shoes -- pale yellow Converse.  They go with everything and look good with my one dress, jeans and leggings.  They're also good at the gym and for hikes.  I love living minimally! 

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:50 PM »
Even though I have my really few pairs of shoes to begin with, only two of those pairs are worn daily - my house moccasins, and my street shoes(black Nike cross-trainers that I wear with everything). But since I so rarely ever dress up, my shoe needs are really simple, not to mention comfortable which is hugely important to me. I will NOT go near heels ever any more(haven't for nearly 30 years and even back then it was only for dressier occasions), not even when I want to look a little nicer.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 10:00:30 AM »
I'm so glad we live in a time where foot comfort is valued and allowed.  Remember when it was a scandal that women wore sports shoes (whatever they were called then ... tennis shoes, trainers, running shoes) to commute to work?  All the newspapers did lots of photos of this and there was lots of noise about how ugly it was.  They carried fashionable heels or whatever with them and then changed at work.

In my mind Steve Jobs did a big thing for everyone when he publicized wearing one outfit (jeans, a black t-neck, and running shoes) for his work outfit year after year.  Because he had clout, he helped make it OK.  I remember going to France in the early 90s and wearing athletic shoes on the streets and being scolded and ridiculed by my French friends and relatives, because it was not done!!!  But now in Paris like everywhere else it is totally OK. 

I go barefoot at home or wear socks in winter, and also love Danskos (scandinavian style clogs), Clarks, Keens, many of the newer comfortable brands.   I know geography still plays a part in this, and in the area where Cara and I live (SF and closeby) these brands are seen much more than heels or platform sandals, which I take it are in the majority in New York.   Occasionally I'll see a heel or pointed toe flat which I think is pretty in a photo, but I know it wouldn't be practical for someone who walks as much as I do.   If I were just standing or sitting still for a photo -- sure!   

I also remember that I loved the album Tapestry by Carole King in about 1970, where she is in jeans, a simple sweater and barefoot on the cover.  I guess we are always influenced by our adolescent heroines.  :-)  Really glad I grew up in those late 60s values of simplicity, peace-love & flowers, and healthy basics. 

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
"Really glad I grew up in those late 60s values of simplicity, peace-love & flowers, and healthy basics."

@gilberte: once again you nail it with that last sentence - I'm so with you on that too!:)
About what people here wear on their feet, there's a real division it seems. Most of the people in the flow arts/yoga/dance communities that I'm on the edge of wouldn't go NEAR 6" stillettos, as we/they value our/their feet too much to do so, but I see them all the time on more mainstream young women who are going out for the evening. I don't know about downtown workers as I'm not in that circuit. But you're right in general that up here in SF and northern California in general, health-conscious style and beauty are more valued than looking like a runway model dressed to the NINES. Meanwhile, the younger one can call us old hippies all they want LOL! Yet at the same time I do see a subset of younger women who aren't mainstream who are more creative, etc.:)
I love the various comfortable-looking brands you mention - it's just that my budget doesn't allow for those and I have to settle for all-purpose black NIKE cross trainers for my one pair of everyday shoes. Often I go barefoot in the house, especially at night, and wear black moccasins and fun socks(which I wear anyway) in the house when not barefoot.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
Cara, i can't afford new Danskos, Keens, etc. either, waaaaaa.  But I have found that Danskos last forever; I have a pair that I got second hand 20 years ago and they are still good & barely look scuffed.  Keens & rubber-soled shoes don't last much more than a year I find before the cushioning in the soles deflates enough to make them less comfortable for me.  I keep looking at thrift stores and found my nearly-new Converse for $4 that way.  Maybe some day I'll have more money and will buy new clothing but for now thrift stores and garage sales have made me happy and I don't miss the shopping experience.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »
@gilberte: I'm with you on the thrift/second-hand store and garage sale route too. I never really was a "department store" person save for a very couple of items.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
Milla, Clarks is one of my favorite brands.  They always seem comfy and attractive to my eyes and nerve endings. 

Aracelyst

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 01:16:33 AM »
How many days are there in one year?

Awenthomas

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 05:10:52 AM »
Hi,
I have a 8 pair of shoes
1 ankle boot
2 pair of sandals
3 pair of pretty flats
2 pair of high heels
Thanks!!