News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Breakfasts  (Read 1137 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Breakfasts
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:02:06 AM »
Can anyone suggest breakfast combinations for cold weather (well, about 4˚C outside today) that don’t take a long time to prepare? I need a breakfast in the morning and lately, all I am having is either a bowl of porridge or Greek yoghurt with bran flakes.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Breakfasts
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
I know a lot of this also depends on what one even likes for breakfast as well as prep time. Some people don't like to eat very much at all for breakfast, others need more, also savory vs. sweeter, high-protein vs. higher-carb, etc. Here are some things I like, but what with being active I do eat higher-carb than a lot of people, as well as being mostly vegetarian, so keep that in mind:

- scrambled eggs and whole-grain toast, or omelettes filled with pre-chopped veggies and/or a bit of cheese.
- pre-cooked quinoa or steel-cut oats(cook up several days worth of this and re-heat in AM)with a bit of nut butter and fruit(berries and part of a banana are a great combo with the grain) in it. A pot of grain will keep for a few days in the refrigerator, and one can even freeze individual portions to be gotten out the night before to thaw before re-heating. Quinoa only takes 15 minutes to cook, one of the few whole grains that doesn't take much time - steel-cut oats 40 minutes so it makes sense to make some ahead for re-heating. Both grains are amazing nutritionally being unprocessed. Quinoa has a higher protein content, while steel-cut oats has all the benefits of regular oats and even more. Plus it's way more filling than oat flakes made into oatmeal.
- sprouted grain English muffin(half) toasted with some nut butter on top and some cut up seasonal fruit on the side.

Hope this helps!:) I know, when it's chilly out, a hot breakfast of some sort does hit the spot.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 01:56:18 AM »
Before I went gluten-free, my go-to breakfast on work mornings was always the same: two pieces of good bread, toasted, topped with apple butter or orange marmalade, and finally a layer of low-fat cottage cheese.  It kept me going all morning.  I could eat it standing up while packing lunch if I was in a hurry.  If I got bored, I could always change the bread or the spread.  Sometimes I sprinkled a bit of wheat germ or bran or added cinnamon.  Everything I tried was great.  Good with tea or coffee.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »
@makinalist: what are you eating now for a gluten-free breakfast? Are you celiac, or just grain-intolerant in general? Please do tell and share!:) There's a lot of info out there lately that really suggests that most people should in fact go gluten-free. Not just celiac disease sufferers, or those with grain intolerance in general, because wheat in particular is so hybridized to have a MUCH higher gluten-content than even 50 years ago, thereby ruining what was a perfectly good wholesome food. I feel guilty now for even eating sprouted wheat products!:(, let alone a slice of bread. Actually, I don't even buy loaves of bread anymore - my only wheat is my sprouted grain english muffin half in the morning, and I do alternate that sometimes with quinoa and the steel-cut oats(no more than a 3/4 cup at most serving of either though).
But back to the grain thing - Dr. Christiane Northrup said some time ago that fully 1/4 of women coming into menopause are manifesting gluten sensitivity, even if they've never had a problem whatsoever in their whole life. Some other people say that anyone post-menopause should be low-carb in general, but I don't think they were considering highly-active women. Also, my really excellent body worker who really helped me come back to life and full ability after a nasty knee injury 3 years ago and does a lot of nutritional research himself, just told me that people over the age of 40 should really not even be eating ANY grain(even gluten-free)anyway.
But back to breakfast, although this isn't specifically for cold weather, green smoothies are awesome too. However, it's not so easy to drink these first thing in the AM when it's chilly, because green smoothies are best served very cold - they really aren't that great room temperature(believe me, I know with vast green smoothie experience). But when the weather IS more temperate, they're great and one gets a whole boatload of greens, anti-oxidants, etc. in and they can be customized in so many ways with superfoods, etc. Green smoothies are NOT like the notoriously-sugar-filled commercial smoothies either.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
Thank you for your replies. I love toasted bread (I love bread, full stop) but I try not to eat too much. I have a boiled egg a couple of times a week, but it  is mostly porridge or yoghurt. Today I added some almonds and brazil nuts to the yoghurt. I also have fruit, mostly citrus, orange or grapefruit. I have never tried quinoa and I don't even know what it looks like but I am going to check it out in the health food shop.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
@milla: They will surely have it at a health shop where you are - it's in all the natural food stores here and has gotten to be quite popular in fact. Quinoa is wonderful, although there seem to be 2 camps of people - those who love it, and those who don't. I love it, while my husband most definitely does not. Just google quinoa in images and you'll see. Also it's extremely versatile - it can be used in both sweeter and more savory ways. Technically it's really a seed rather than a pure grain as such, thus the higher protein content. But one can use it in the same dishes one uses pasta or rice, or like a hot cereal.:)

Pankitty

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
My favorite and almost everyday breakfast:

1/3c (before cooking) rolled oats
1/2c NF Fage
Blueberries and raspberries (or a diced apple, microwaved for 1 minute)
Cinnamon
6-8 almonds (dry roast, unsalted)
Little bit of milk for moisture

I layer it all in a bowl together.

It's warm, filling, will last until lunchtime, balanced.