News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Magic NutriBullet  (Read 1142 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Magic NutriBullet
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
Does anyone have one of these babies?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/magicbullet-nutribullet-12-piece-set/1040081076?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_&gclid=COur28_x6rsCFcSBfgodM3YA-A

They sell them everywhere. Anyway, purchased mine maybe two months ago[?].  Why I never used it? I don't know. Maybe I thought that it would be another waste of my time.  Well, I took a few days off during the holidays and waited the day in December to try.  I have to say that, while it only been less than a week, I can feel the difference. I have more energy and my bones are not complaining as much!

I wished that I had tried this sooner!  But, better than never.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Magic NutriBullet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 12:07:52 AM »
I'm dying to know...what are you putting in it?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
 :grin:

So far, I've tried spinach, kale, cucumber, kiwi, oranges, bananas, blueberries and grapes. Tonight I am going to try spinach, cucumber, celery, apply and kiwi. YUM!

This coming weekend, I may try some arugula, collard greens, iceberg and mustard greens.

I pour the mixture over ice and add a small spoonful of Chia and Flax seeds.  YUM!!

I may try some smoothies during the summer months.

Forgot to add that we use coconut water instead of plain water.  :)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:20:34 PM by SusieQ »

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »
Super nutrients!  No wonder you already notice a difference!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
Having a decent blender makes it a no-brainer to get in lots of good stuff. For myself, I have the high-speed one by Blend-tec, Vita-Mix's main competitor. I went with the Blend-tec after my old Santa Fe practitioner informed me that out of all the blenders he tried, he was a fan of the Blend-tec. I got to try one out in 2009 while at a lodgings swap in Hawaii, and I instantly fell in love, as I'd been trying to do my green smoothies in my old Osterizer(they were OK, but I was determined to get this habit up and going so I kept at it, even with grainy texture and all). I could literally FEEL the difference, as the drinks were smooth, and more nutrition going in. Without batting an eye, my normally very frugal, very careful husband told me to order one after we got back, which I did and it's been in use ever since then.
People love to slam smoothies these days as having "too much sugar" because they're only thinking of the commercial ones that usually are, unless it's some very health-conscious small juice bar that is indeed using fresh veggies, fruits, and sugar-free superfoods. Personally I wouldn't go near one of the former, the commercial ones. Making one's OWN powerful smoothies, especially green ones, is both cost-conscious AND superbly health-conscious when combining things right. I do about 50-50 of greens and fruits, and then my super-food add-ins(hemp protein powder, chia seeds, bee pollen). It makes a large and filling enough smoothie that I have half or so, and save the rest for later in the day like after a workout. Many people, even if they don't do anything else about their diets, if they have a good green smoothie as one of their meals, get benefits. A favorite greens combo of mine along with some fruit, is kale and chard, and I rotate that with a spinach and parsley combo. One should rotate one's greens. Often when people start up with green smoothies, they start with milder greens like romaine and then work up. When one gets up to kale and chard, now that's hard-core LOL!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »
Yes, I've heard great reviews about Blend-tec.  Nice! 

I purchased Chard today. I'll try in tomorrow. I had a mix greens today - baby kale, broccoli, red chard, red cabbage and carrots. I added half a banana, one kiwi, cucumber and celery with Chia and Flax. It was rather tasty.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:39:51 PM »
Often, once people try a green smoothie, they're quite surprised they like it, because often the flavor is much better than they expect with this  substantial green drink. On the other hand, there are some people who won't go near one no matter how much one says how great they are, due to texture issues. Even with a smoothly-blended one made in a high-speed blender. My husband is one of these - he has yet to try a green smoothie and I've been doing them for close to 6 years now, on and off. His sister won't go near them either, as I found out when we were visiting over the holidays(I brought my blender along and had several smoothies in the 10 days that we were there.)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
DH doesn't like it much so he just jugs it.  He knows that it's good for him.  I love it the green smoothies! :)

bettina

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:54 AM »
I just wanted to add that I recently bought a Nutribullet and I love it! I noticed a difference right away in my energy level.

My "base" ingredients for most every smoothie are kale, bananas, and parsley. Then I might add in some carrots, berries, or and/or celery. I just read cara4art's post about rotating greens, so I suppose I'll buy something different next time I go to the grocery store.
Oh, and I also just started adding flax seed and chia.

For the liquid, I use half almond milk and half water.

I have not yet made a smoothie that I couldn't drink, although I did notice that too much parsley can make it slightly bitter. Also, I definitely prefer kale to collard greens.

The only downside is that I'm spending a lot more time washing fresh veggies and fruits, since I'm eating so much more of them. :)
  • Complexion: Light-medium (NC25-30), normal-combination
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: dark brown/black, fine, curly
I'm 49.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
"The only downside is that I'm spending a lot more time washing fresh veggies and fruits, since I'm eating so much more of them" - bettina

IMO, no downside to that! I keep telling my husband that it's a choice between spending more time in the kitchen preparing healthy food, or waiting the doctor's waiting room because a lifetime of bad habits is catching up with one. I'd go with the kitchen time and aiming to stay OUT of the doctor's office myself. Unless of course there was a true need to be seen that is.
Like you, I've almost never had a green smoothie I had to chuck - they've all been good.
A few tips:
 - Having frozen banana chunks on hand is great - I throw several of those in to the mix and that adds creaminess. Plus one has the frozen bananas for making amazing, guilt-free raw "ice-cream" in one's food processor!:)
- Berries in general freeze well, as well as peaches and nectarines. Those are a way out yet though for the season but strawberries are starting to appear here in CA.
- To make one's pineapple go further - save the cores, cut them up into chunks to freeze. Great add-ins for smoothies, as they're of course way too fibrous to be chewing. The cores have concentrated natural anti-inflammatories in them. I was having these every day in my smoothies while recovering from a knee injury a few years ago.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
I had no earthly idea that pineapple cores are edible!  And here I've been tossing them. :P  Never again -- thanks, cara4art!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
@makinalist: The pineapple cores are only edible if one blends them - I sure wouldn't want to be trying to CHEW them LOL! They do blend better if the blender is powerful, like what I have(Blendtec - popular competitor to Vita-Mix).

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 02:00:32 PM »
I'll remember that!