News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: How to get back on my feet  (Read 2112 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
How to get back on my feet
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »
I have been very poorly (ill before the end of term, did not take time off, managed Christmas, pneumonia followed on 29th Dec.). I am ok now and thanks to my DH , a man for whom 'in sickness and in health' are not just empty words. But I feel really low, just like a little old invalid and this is getting on my nerves! Other than plenty of fluids and good wholesome food, is there anything I could try?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: How to get back on my feet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:34:20 AM »
First, warm, caring hugs for you, milla. :hug: :hug:

What a time you've had! I'm so sorry you don't feel very well yet. Your poor body and immune system are probably struggling to get back to normal still.

The one thought I had is that perhaps some probiotics would help. I assume you were on some antibiotics for the pneumonia so your good bacteria were probably affected in the process of eliminating the bad.

Beyond that, I know that you are being sensible about rest and fluids and diet so some tincture of time is all I can add. Well, besides sending lots and lots of healing wishes your way!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:06:08 PM »
This is from Dr. Mark Hyman regarding boosting the immune system.
-Drink plenty of fluids, especially warmer fluids. With the dryer air inside and out, winter can be a particularly challenging time to stay hydrated! Consuming adequate fluids supports all of your bodies’ functions including the immune system. Make soups and broths (from scratch with fresh vegetables is always best) and have them throughout the week. Drink herbal teas like ginger and echinacea daily. Keep a bottle of filtered water with you at all times. Avoid concentrated fruit juices and sweetened beverages, as the sugar content is harmful for the immune system. If you do drink juice, dilute it with 2/3 water!
-Try a daily saline flush. Along with staying hydrated, flushing your sinuses with mild salt water helps to keep mucous membranes moist which protects you from microbes. You can use a neti pot, or easy to carry plastic bottles that come with saline packets to take with you when traveling or even at the office! Be sure to rinse them well with warm water and soap and air dry between uses. Studies have also indicated that flushing one to two times daily is appropriate and you should not go over this.
-Avoid simple sugars as much as possible! This includes those sweet treats and desserts but also the white flour and refined grain products that turn into sugar quickly. Studies have shown that refined sugars can suppress your immune system for hours after ingested.
-Have protein with each meal. Proteins are the building blocks of the body. This includes your immune and detoxification systems. Organic, clean, and lean animal protein as well as plant-based (legumes, nuts/seeds) proteins are important to get with each meal and snack.
-Add garlic, onions, ginger, and lots of spices (oregano, turmeric) to your meals! Add these to your soups and vegetable dishes, as well as bean dips and sauces. Garlic and onions offer wide spectrum antimicrobial properties.
-Eat multiple servings of colorful fruits and vegetables high in vitamins C, A, and phytonutrients that support the immune system. Choose more leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower), peppers, sweet potatoes, and squashes. Aim for three to four servings of fruits and four or more servings of vegetables daily!
-Get sufficient sleep! We all know sleep restores and heals the body. Without adequate sleep, optimal immune function is next to impossible! Get in a better rhythm and head to bed earlier on those dark winter nights. Aim for seven to eight hours of sleep a night. Incorporating various relaxation and breathing techniques throughout the day to help with stress and allow the mind to rest is also very helpful!
-Get regular exercise. Mild to moderate exercise (for approximately 30-45 minutes) helps boost the immune system. Avoid overexertion such as training for endurance events when you are feeling run down. This will lower your immune defenses.

Supplements for Adult Immune Support

Here is an overview of the vitamins, minerals, and herbs you need and why they are important.

-Multivitamin/Mineral: This is the foundation for any health support regimen. It’s a good way to cover the basic vitamins and minerals your body needs for day-to-day function. If you aren’t on a good mulitivitamin you should get and stay on one. Look for a high-quality, broad-spectrum multivitamin and mineral.
-Vitamin D3: Adequate vitamin D status is critical for optimal immune function and this cannot be achieved without supplementation during the winter months. It is best to get your levels of 25 OH vitamin D checked for accurate dosing. Blood levels should be above 30 ng/dl. However, optimal levels are probably closer to 50 ng/dl for most. Many need 5,000 IU or more of vitamin D3 a day in the winter. Start with 2,000 IU for adults, 1,000 IU for children.
-Buffered Vitamin C: The role of vitamin C in supporting the immune system has long been known. Take 500-1,000 mg throughout the day with meals and snacks.
-Zinc citrate: You can take an additional supplement or consume more foods high in this powerful immune supporting nutrient. Seafood—especially oysters—red meat, and pumpkin seeds are the best food sources. Take 30 mg per day.
-Probiotics: A healthy gut flora supports a healthy gut, a major barrier against pathogens and integral to the immune system. Look for brands that offer several species of good bacteria and contain at least 5-10 billion organisms per capsule.
-Fish Oil (Artic Cod Liver Oil): This old time remedy for good health and robust immunity still stands true! In addition to the good fats, cod liver oil contains additional vitamin A and D for added immune protection.
-1-3, 1-6 Beta Glucans: Research has shown that these compounds up-regulate the function of the innate immune system. This part of your immune system is the first line of defense against viruses and bacteria. It helps your white blood cells bind to and kill viruses and bacteria.
Note: Patients with autoimmune diseases should not take this.

-Natural Anti-Viral/Anti-Bacterial Herbs: Many herbs have broad-spectrum antimicrobial or immune-enhancing effects. Formulas contain different immune boosters such as astragalus, echinacea, green tea extract, elderberry, andrographis, goldenseal, monolaurin, various immune-enhancing mushrooms, and beta 1-3 glucan.
Cordyceps and Mushrooms Extracts: These provide immune supporting properties. Cooking with medicinal mushrooms like shitake is also helpful.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:07:22 PM »
Just a hug first, milla!  :hug:

Sue has some great ideas!  I know that I get be really bad when it comes to eating fruits and vegetable high on Vit C. What I recently tried is Nutribullet.  I found this to the easiest way to get all the vegetables and fruit without feeling like I have to eat a big HUGE salad.

I feel that I have more energy. I've also been taking VitB-12 when I feel that I need it. I have those B-12 dots. I read this a while back about the value of VitB12:

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/health-benefits-of-vitamin/2011/03/01/id/387945

As always, consult with your doctor before taking anything additional with your daily supplements. I hope you feel better soon!!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:13:50 AM »
Thank you for your kind words and advice.
This really caught me by surprise, because I am not usually this ill (the last time I had to take antibiotics was in 2007) and I have  never had a chest infection. It damaged my health and my confidence-am I to end up like all the old people in these islands, ‘chesty’, racked by cough and out of breath ? And I am not even a smoker.
Also I have always enjoyed my food and I have positively lost my appetite. I suppose that several months of lack of sleep have told on my immune system. Fortunately I seem to be sleeping a bit better (I slept quite well last night), so I am cautiously optimistic. I am also having soup and fruit and my sense of taste is coming back.
I have never been a fan of taking supplements but I have changed my mind. Cod liver oil is a must, there is no way you can get enough through diet these days, even though I eat more fish than most. Vitamin B as well. As for the sleep problem, I have to see my doctor in a week or so and I have to discuss this.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
@milla: did you have pneumonia, or flu? Pneumonia can be a complication of the flu and it's certainly no joke, as I had it happen once when young with flu. I've been away for awhile so I might have missed an earlier post of your about illness, or is this the first time you've surfaced since you became ill? Chest stuff can take awhile to clear up, even with good treatment. Yes, antibiotics, while doing their work of getting rid of the bad bugs also destroy good ones that help one's immune system, so the recommendation to take probiotics is spot on to restore good gut flora. SuePhilly's suggestions that she quoted are right on too. About supplements, in a perfect world, we'd all be getting everything we need from food. However, with the changing quality of the food supply, and individual needs, this is not always possible. Even good produce in general is less nutritious than it was 50 years ago, because of the declining quality of the soil it's grown in, for one thing. And don't get me started on factory farming of all sorts of stuff, and the like! So a few good supplements are in order in my book anyway.
But back to you - it's a good sign that your appetite is starting to return. Just keep it simple with good nourishing home-made soups, simple healthy meals that you like. Have someone else prepare some food for you if you're still not able. It's OK to lean on people for this when one is in need. Sometime back, I was indeed concerned that you were only getting a few hours of sleep on a nightly basis - this can't do a body good at all. One's immune system goes down the drain after awhile, for one thing, leaving one open. Very very very important that everyone get enough sleep on a regular basis, and triply so if one has been ill. Often, one won't start recovering until one starts having a decent night's sleep after being illness has kept one awake for a time. Anyhow, take care, and take all the time you need to get well - we're rootin' for ya here on this side of the pond!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
Thank you very much for your encouragement, Cara. I did not have flu. According to the doctor , who actually came to my house 9it is not often that we get home visits these days of NHS cuts) I had pneumonia and it really shook me because I have never been 'chesty'. I was running a temperature of 41 Celsius ( that's 105  Fahrenheit), Not nice at all.
I still feel a bit light-headed and I am still coughing but I am back on my feet.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »
@milla: I had a strong sense that it was pneumonia. Wow - about that fever! Very important for you to be well-hydrated, as even a slight fever can dehydrate one somewhat, never mind a really high one that you had. Hence the lots of fluids, especially warm ones as these are good for the lungs in general. Do take care, and let yourself heal completely before doing too much, especially any exercise unless it is extremely gentle. When you're feeling up to it, maybe some restorative yoga to ease back into something, even before heading outside to walk, but not until. As long as you're still coughing, there's still stuff in your lungs and they're still healing. It does take time - any kind of chest ailment does take it out of one. One can feel depleted and fatigued for 2-3 weeks afterward too. I know from personal experience from chronic bronchitis as a child, and the one episode of pneumonia as a flu complication when in my early 20s and travelling overseas. Again, do take care, and don't be afraid to lean on your loved ones for help. You're fortunate to have a good husband!:) All the best - you know we're rooting for your full recovery when you'll be right as rain!:)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
Dear Milla, that is fairly frightening. Pneumonia is a serious disease, and people do die from it.

As boring as this is going to sound, give yourself time. Do not try and start exercising yet. There isn´t an on/off button, meaning you are not sick one day, healthy the next. What happened to the idea of convalescence btw?

I´d say yes to probiotics and Vitamin C.

Take it easy, read, give yourself time.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
Hi Anne,

I am getting a lot better, still coughing but nothing like it was before. I was quite nasty. I have been taking it easy and today my husband said that I am beginning to look like me again.
What about you? how are your eyes? been thinking about you lately.
x

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »
I'm so glad you are feeling a bit better, dear!  Many of SuePhilly's tips are things I do routinely because I have some autoimmune conditions.  She has a lot of good ones there.

Please don't feel that a bout with pneumonia means you will not be healthy in the future.  You work with young people and are probably exposed to germs constantly.  I had pneumonia once 15 years ago, but never since have I been even close.  You will get back to normal, I'm sure!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 04:32:14 AM »
Dear Listy, thank youso much  for your message. I have been feeling like an invalid lately. At times some very dark thoughts crossed my mind ( health, age, relatives who passed away.... ). All to do with being ill, but probably exacerbated by the fear of changes and how to cope in the transition between full-time work and retirement.
As for food supplements, I was talking with my SIL yesterday  and she is of the opinion that you get everything you need from what you eat;  this is what I used to say, but it really depends on what you eat. My diet is better than most, but I still don't eat enough oily fish, for example. My husband had some tests recently, which show that he is in pretty good health, however, he is low in calcium and it may well be why he has pains in his knees despite loosing all the extra weight.
I have been out briefly yesterday and I will most certainly go back to work on Monday. I just have to try and not to panic about everything that needs to de done before Easter and keep taking the vitamins...

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »
Milla, I am sorry to hear you´ve been down!

You are not old by any means, but I know what you mean. A sickness can remind us of our fragility and, yes, mortality, too. You WILL get back on your feet, this is just temporary!

You just need to give yourself time and to pamper yourself in every way.

BTW there is an inoculation / vaccine against pneumonia; DH has had pneumonia several times and had the jab last winter. That may have something to consider once you´re completely healthy again.

wishing you health and happiness, your cyber-friend over the ocean, Anne
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
Thanks Anne. Next winter I will definitely have the vaccine.

CathyEarnshaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
Milla,

Big hug to you and hope you recover quickly. Pneumonia really knocks you for a loop. I had it once and had to be hospitalized for it for 9 days. It was months before I felt better.

Please, please take your time and rest. Take time to pamper yourself. Sleep, read, eat well. Watch some good movies!

Hope you recover quickly.
  • Complexion: Fair, Combination
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: grey, straight, average thickness, dry