News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Coconut oil  (Read 2762 times)

Luella

Coconut oil
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »
I love using coconut oil on my hair.  It has made it stronger I feel and really soft and shiny which makes me feel like a million bucks.  I put it in my hair twice a week and leave on for 30 minutes then rinse with warm water and shampoo as usual.

feather

Re: Coconut oil
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:51:07 PM »
never tried coconut oil, I do baby oil with vitamin E every coupla weeks
I'm not getting old, I'm becoming a classic

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
I love coconut oil(has to be the extra-virgin, NOT the refined stuff)for makeup remover, on my body, and for a bit of food prep.  However, I'm afraid to use it in my hair.  I've heard that it strips color and I don't want that since I still color my hair.

Luella

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
I love coconut oil(has to be the extra-virgin, NOT the refined stuff)for makeup remover, on my body, and for a bit of food prep.  However, I'm afraid to use it in my hair.  I've heard that it strips color and I don't want that since I still color my hair.
I have never heard of this.  I dye my hair from time to time but am not super gray yet so it might be something I have to look into when I get older and not do it as much.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »
I have not tried coconut oil in my hair for fear of weighing it down.  What is your hair type, please, Luella?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »
@Luella: they keep saying that about it stripping color over on MUA, where I also hang out. But I do know that coconut oil is GREAT for the hair, especially curly hair. Is yours naturally-textured in any way, as in waves and/or curls? Mine is 2c-3a and I have a lot of it even though it's not long.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:45:29 PM »
@makinalist: from previous descriptions of your hair, I wouldn't recommend oils at all. Non-oily protein and moisture treatments would work better, especially on fine hair that's also straight.

Luella

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »
@Luella: they keep saying that about it stripping color over on MUA, where I also hang out. But I do know that coconut oil is GREAT for the hair, especially curly hair. Is yours naturally-textured in any way, as in waves and/or curls? Mine is 2c-3a and I have a lot of it even though it's not long.
I love it for my hair. My hair is straight, and I have noticed that it does wonders for my hair.  It feels great, is super soft, and even my daughter uses this treatment on her hair.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
I keep forgetting to do this.  I don't whether it strips my color or not. I do need to do some hair mask at least twice a week and I do like this idea.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:01:49 AM »
The people who use it and recommend it often say that leaving it in for at least 12 hours is best to get the full benefits. It all depends on what one has time and patience for. Plus the grease factor at night if leaving on overnight - one would have to wrap one's head up really well so as not to get it all over. Coconut oil is truly one of the few oils that does penetrate the hair rather than just remaining on the surface.

Serena12

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:24:55 AM »
Coconut oil gets another vote from me. Even though it was difficult to leave it in at first (it just made me want to mess with my hair more) the results are certainly worth it. I have not had the same glow and balance with any other product that I have tried. Especially if you buy in large enough containers, it is a very affordable treatment method.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
I add grapeseed oil, too.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

bestorganic

• Loving life and loving organic skincare
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 04:06:13 AM »
oh I bet coconut oil mixed with argan oil would be superb on hair!
  • Complexion: oily and acne prone
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
I find coconut oil very difficult to rinse out. I prefer the argan oil (Pro Naturals) that I use, it is light and does not make my hair greasy.  I prefer the smell also.  It could be that I used cooking quality coconut oil, kept reminding me of a curry take away!

Found another use for my left over coconut oil - oil pulling, my Indian friends here in the UK told me to put a spoonful into my mouth and swill it around for 20 mins, apparently it is supposed to whiten my teeth, can't see any diff yet. I found it very difficult to keep swilling and kept swallowing instead of swilling!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:20:23 AM by silverstreak »
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

Awenthomas

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 08:17:52 PM »
Hi Luella,
Coconut oil is best for hair growth. I also used coconut oil to massage my hair once in a week. My hair looks shiny and stronger.
Thanks!!