News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Amazon Prime Price Increase  (Read 790 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Amazon Prime Price Increase
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
I hated to read this, but I have a couple of months to decide what to do.  The price is increasing from $79 to $99 for the annual rate.  We do shop Amazon a lot, plus we watch their streaming video about as much as we use our Netflix.

Anyone thinking about dropping it?  Why or why not?  Also, does anyone know how well the Amazon Mom program works for new parents?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Amazon Prime Price Increase
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
Oh no, Listy! I didn't know this.  :(
I don't know when my year is up, but I'll definitely drop it.  Even at $79 I was going to discontinue it, as right now Prime is a luxury for us.  I really do like it though!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:39:17 PM »
Well, that really bites.  I'll have to think about the renewal, too.  :-\
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:08:15 AM »
We have until April 17, if any of you need to renew before then.  After that, you will be charged the new price when your renewal date comes up.  I also saw that ShopRunner has jumped in to offer a free one-year membership to all Amazon Prime members.  (Their service is normally $79/year.)  You can read about it here.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
I just found this too:
http://lifehacker.com/get-another-year-of-amazon-prime-for-79-even-as-a-cur-1543360940
It tells how to get another year for $79.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
We get every pennies' worth out of Amazon Prime, even at the increased price. I was up in the Minneapolis/St. Paul (Twin Cities) area this past weekend and learned that some of my relatives up there even use Amazon like I do. I thought it was mostly people in rural areas that were heavy users but I guess I was wrong.

Not only is Amazon convenient but I have handy access to reviews and they offer a broad range of products from multiple suppliers. I almost always go with Amazon Prime eligible purchases but have been made aware of other non-Prime options that were better. I've also noticed that a lot of non-Prime vendors are offering free shipping.

I haven't heard about Amazon Mom but most of Amazon's undertakings seem to work well or they are gone in a flash so I guess time and experience will tell for those who use it.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:37:23 PM »
My Prime membership renewed in February. I will prob still renew at $99 next year. I wish they'd offer 2 tiers. A cheaper one for the shipping benefit alone and another for the shipping plus streaming (which we don't use. At all.).
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »
We actually use the streaming video a lot these days.  I was tempted by the free first month and then went for the full subscription.  I was already a regular Amazon user but always had to meet the minimum purchase to get the free shipping.  Now I can make smaller orders without worrying about minimums.  They are so quick and reliable.  The few times I have had a problem they have made it good immediately and to my advantage.

marci65 - Your idea is a good one.  Have you suggested it to them?

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
I guess I should.  I just figured it was such a simple idea that surely they would have considered that already.
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

linc2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
I assume you all know that one can invite up to 4 additional family members on one Amazon Prime account? Go to manage my prime and you'll see a link to "invite family members." It makes the annual rate of $79 (or even $99) pretty reasonable. I invited husband, DS, DD, DDIL and we've all been using it a lot!

Just thought I'd mention in case anyone missed this major perk.
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
Linc2! So good to see you again. :) How are you? Is life treating you kindly?

Your post is very valuable. I had forgotten about adding family members. I added my DH to my account years ago. I should add my DSs.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »

I guess I should.  I just figured it was such a simple idea that surely they would have considered that already.

Ooh I did not know this!  Is it necessary to give the others your password though? I'd rather not supply my DD and DS with it -- too tempting to shop on my credit card.  :wink:

linc2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 07:03:37 PM »
To add family members to your Amazon Prime, you don't give them your password. You simply need to know some specific info about them and vice versa to verify that they are indeed family (such as birthday). Then Amazon sends them an invite and the Amazon Prime is added to their account.

I figured this was a nice little gift to our kids that would "keep on giving."
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 06:18:26 AM »
To add family members to your Amazon Prime, you don't give them your password. You simply need to know some specific info about them and vice versa to verify that they are indeed family (such as birthday). Then Amazon sends them an invite and the Amazon Prime is added to their account.

I figured this was a nice little gift to our kids that would "keep on giving."

Thanks!