News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Nipping 10 lbs. in the bud.....  (Read 1086 times)

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
Nipping 10 lbs. in the bud.....
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »
Started on Richard Simmon's Project Hope today -  it's time to get back on track for me!
I did Move, Groove, & Lose back in 2001 and lost 20 lbs.  and have maintained till now.

You need to do exercise every day (that makes you perspire) and weigh and measure all food you take in.  Portion control is key.
I'm also quitting sugar as I like my tea in the evenings and know that whenever I start using sugar I gain.

Did Kathy Kaehler's Get Fit Class DVD this AM and went for a walk in the afternoon.
Cardio, Strength, Flexibility

Breakfast:  3/4 cup Fiber One 80 calorie
                  1/2 banana
                  1 cup skim milk

Snack:        1 cup Dannon non-fat yogurt
                   1 cup strawberries

Lunch:        Salad:  2 oz. baked chicken tender
                   1 slice light wheat toast
                    lettuce, tomato, cucumber

Dinner:        2 oz. 1/2 turkey burger baked in oven
                   1/3 cup brown rice
                    1 cup steamed green beans

8 glasses of water throughout the day and 1 Richard Simmon's Multi-Vitamin

Height:  5'1"  - I need to be 115 ideal - goal is 120 now. 
  • Complexion: Normal
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Nipping 10 lbs. in the bud.....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:38:16 PM »
Just how many calories is that? It looks like so little food.:(, kind of like the 800-1000 calorie diets that were around that my mother and aunt went on back in the 1950s, and when women didn't exercise very much at all. One had to white-knuckle one's way through such diets!:( Just curious - do you really really have to eat that little in order to lose, even with exercise? The thing is, with too-strict calorie restriction over a period of time, one's metabolism slows, and can leave one less able to eat normal amounts of food without gaining the weight back, then if one hadn't dieted in the first place. Then, maintenance really is hard! IMO, far better to cut back just enough one's eating, practicing good portion control, and get plenty of muscle-building exercise that creates a bit of a caloric deficit over time. Sure, it takes longer, but is much less stressful on the body, especially for mature women. What you have there, unless you really do have a very small appetite, would be very hard to sustain over the long haul. Eventually one caves simply because one isn't eating enough for one's needs, even though one wants the weight gone yesterday.
 I know you mentioned you're small, but still. You could easily bring your protein portions up to 3oz., bump up your starch to half-cup servings, and if anything get in more than a cup of veggies per meal, if simply prepared. This way, you'd still be eating cleanly, getting enough good nutrition in without overloading oneself in the least. Even half-cup servings of rice or pasta are quite small when one actually takes the trouble to measure them out. Not to mention that you'd feel more satisfied with what your eating. That said, best of luck - it's far better to only have to lose 10 pounds than 20 or 30 later on!:) Also, the ditching of sugar is a smart move for anyone, whether they want to lose weight or not.
Please don't take offense, these are just some thoughts!:)

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:01 PM »
This is blast off week - it's 1000 per day for a week and then it's up to 1,200.  I've done it before and since you eat small meals throughout the day - I'm never hungry.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
Just as I thought, about the 1000 calories. Good thing that level is not for more than a week. 1200, while still not very much food at all, is doable if one chooses one's food well. As in, lots of produce and lean proteins, a bit of healthy fat. and keeping one's starch servings proper. It sounds like your appetite is not large to begin with so you have an easier time than someone whose is.
Hopefully this plan will work for you as well as it did back in 2001. Sometimes, midlife women find that what they did even as little as 10 years ago does not work(as well) now, due to hormonal changes, but everyone is different. Good on the exercise too - too many midlife women still aren't getting the message that it really does take more exercise than they think to just MAINTAIN their weight let along lose any. Does this exercise plan include any weight-training as well as cardiovascular? Both are important.:) When young, a woman can "go on a diet" and drop 5 pounds just like that, but later on it really does take both diet and exercise, and lots of it. Anyhow, best of luck - you're wise to address this now!:)

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »
Thanks for the good words of wisdom Cara!

Today I did Richard's Month 1 CD Commit!  Cardio 1 - Toning 1 which you use the included weights for and challenge balance.  I also went for a 30 minute brisk walk in my neighborhood this PM.

Here was today's menu:

Breakfast:  3/4 cup Bran Buds
                  1 cup skim milk

Snack:       1 Granny Smith apple
                  1 oz. Fat-Free Mozzerella cheese

Lunch:        Chopped Spinach Salad (I mix in some basil paste from the kind that comes in a tube with some light
                   raspeberry dressing                   
                   1 cup romaine
                   1 cup spinach
                   1 bell pepper
                   3-4 cherry tomatoes
                   3 hardboiled egg whites
                   1 slice whole wheat toast

Snack:         1/2 medium banana

Dinner:         2 oz. baked haddock
                    1/3 cup frekah grain  (like a rice)
                    1 cup steamed broccoli florets
                   and Salad with same dressing as above

Snack:          1 cup SkinnyPop popcorn, no butter

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »
Me too but Im tall. I would honesty starve on that. Need more protein to keep going. Maybe if you are petite and do not move around much. *shrugs*

Just how many calories is that? It looks like so little food.:(, kind of like the 800-1000 calorie diets that were around that my mother and aunt went on back in the 1950s, and when women didn't exercise very much at all. One had to white-knuckle one's way through such diets!:( Just curious - do you really really have to eat that little in order to lose, even with exercise? The thing is, with too-strict calorie restriction over a period of time, one's metabolism slows, and can leave one less able to eat normal amounts of food without gaining the weight back, then if one hadn't dieted in the first place. Then, maintenance really is hard! IMO, far better to cut back just enough one's eating, practicing good portion control, and get plenty of muscle-building exercise that creates a bit of a caloric deficit over time. Sure, it takes longer, but is much less stressful on the body, especially for mature women. What you have there, unless you really do have a very small appetite, would be very hard to sustain over the long haul. Eventually one caves simply because one isn't eating enough for one's needs, even though one wants the weight gone yesterday.
 I know you mentioned you're small, but still. You could easily bring your protein portions up to 3oz., bump up your starch to half-cup servings, and if anything get in more than a cup of veggies per meal, if simply prepared. This way, you'd still be eating cleanly, getting enough good nutrition in without overloading oneself in the least. Even half-cup servings of rice or pasta are quite small when one actually takes the trouble to measure them out. Not to mention that you'd feel more satisfied with what your eating. That said, best of luck - it's far better to only have to lose 10 pounds than 20 or 30 later on!:) Also, the ditching of sugar is a smart move for anyone, whether they want to lose weight or not.
Please don't take offense, these are just some thoughts!:)
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
"Me too but Im tall. I would honesty starve on that. Need more protein to keep going. Maybe if you are petite and do not move around much. *shrugs*" Swest

I agree. I'm not particularly tall at all(being barely 5'5"), and I'd STILL starve on that, seriously! It seems that a lot of the calorie recommendations for middle-aged and particularly older people assume that we are inactive. Granted, most are, but there's virtually nothing out there about those of us who ARE indeed active. Even though in general we do need less food as we get older due to metabolic changes, but if we're active and keep up our muscle mass via proper training, we need more food than that, even for dropping some needed weight.
Personally, I see a diet like BeautyBarbara's as being exactly the sort that people fall off of because it's NOT sustainable, unless they really do have a teeny-tiny appetite. When people fall off of such diets, virtually all the weight is gained back and more unless one makes a concerted effort to not just binge on all the wrong stuff to compensate for basically starving oneself. Keep in mind that according to the World Health Organization, starvation is defined as daily caloric intake being below 1600 a day. So one should be active enough that close to that will be just fine for weight loss. BB is on the right track about getting in exercise though. I also agree about not enough protein there. Move more, eat some more and enjoy life! Aside from that, some people have to tweak their diets further depending on how carb-sensitive they are, or what level of fat they do well on. The QUALITY of one's diet also matters a great deal in addition to just how much one is eating. About that last, mid-life women in particular NEED some healthy fats along with the protein in their diets, for hormonal purposes.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
BeautyBarbara, you musty have iron willpower!!

I could never live on that, no, not even for one day.

On the other hand, I blame yo-yo-dieting for my weight problem. (I am fat. No numbers here, but believe me, fat.) Ok, I blame it partly for my weight problem.

In hindsight, I wish I had never tried one single diet but had just kept on eating sensibly and putting my sweet tooth in rein.

I have just decided to rtry and eat sweets etc just one day every week, also to add vegetables and fruit to my daily diet. When I was at my fattest a couple on years ago and started losing weight, the first 10 kilos (over 20 lbs)came off by making sure I ate 500 grams (over a pound) of fruit & beg every day.

Happily, I ve never gained all the weight back. I am still far too heavy.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Be careful with the fruits Ann - 2 a day is the max i.e. 1 apple - 1 orange etc.  Fruit has natural sugar  too! :-\

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Too many people have entirely the wrong idea about fruit, thinking that the sugar in it is the same as eating Twinkies LOL, so they do something ridiculous like eating just one-quarter of an apple per day for their fruit - I actually saw this on another board that has since gone by the wayside. The poster was one of these extreme Paleo-diet type of people for whom it was their way or the highway LOL. She even said that if one were eating carrots one might as well be mainlining tootsie rolls and she even said broccoli had too many carbs, can you imagine! Sure, fruit has sugar, but that sugar is also accompanied by all the co-factors that help the body use it constructively, like vitamins, minerals, the finest type of structured water, and last but not least, the fiber that slows the release of said sugar. Plus a bunch of as yet unknown factors, like many plant foods! It's the ADDED sugar/high-fructose corn syrup in processed foods that's the huge problem, also the fact that eating refined carbs turns them into the type of pure sugar that adds fat to the body and messes with one's blood sugar besides. I repeat, a reasonable amount of fruit per day, is NOT going to derail weight loss, especially if it is replacing nutrition-less high-calorie junk! Far better is to really work on ditching processed foods in general, not being afraid of fruit in moderate quantities(3-4 pieces), and eating plenty of veggies(5-9 servings per day), along with sufficient protein and healthy fat as previously mentioned. Also keeping one's starches unrefined as much as possible.
@anne - I hear you about the yo-yo dieting. I've seen this very fact in other sources that people who went on diets and yo-yo-ed had the exact same thing happen - they ended up way fatter than if they'd adopted a longer-term sensible way of eating in the first place. Yo-yo dieting really messes with one's metabolism, making it MUCH harder to maintain one's weight loss. Often, in such cases, almost the minute someone eats what should be a perfectly normal and sensible amount of food, their weight shoots back up and then some, where as if they'd stuck with more normal eating with just somewhat of a reduction and moved more in the first place this wouldn't happen. I think a big part of this is getting your metabolism back up to speed and that might take some supervision with a dietician/nutritionist who is experienced in working with mature women. Add menopause into the mix and no doubt this is challenging. Anyhow, best of luck coming out of this.:)