News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: I Caved and Got a Gel Mani!  (Read 816 times)

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
I Caved and Got a Gel Mani!
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
So last Thursday I went and finally got a gel mani - a first for me!

Here's a picture of the Nail Bar Spa.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/lux-nails-bar-wayland?select=qE6JkSpBz9c-3U8d-1XLzA#Kjn9_fi4BBALrgcdF56fCg

I tried Knockout Nails Home Gel Kit and that was fine for a while but they didn't last as long as they should and also Sensationail just doesn't cut it.  I had been admiring the nails of the gal who's the VP at my bank and she said that they were gel mani's. 

So I am really thrilled.  I picked a color at home which was like a lilac pink from Julep Maven and when I looked at the name it was "Helen" which was my mother's name.  The closest they came to it was a light pink from Essie. 
They also give you a five minute neck and shoulder massage and karate chop  :o while the remover is working.
Here's a pic -
They charge $30 for a gel mani.
  • Complexion: Normal
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Brown

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: I Caved and Got a Gel Mani!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
That's a pretty color!  I do love gel mani.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:31:31 AM »
At the moment I am trying to look after my nails with lots of moisturising cream, because they look terrible. Strictly no nail polish until I see an improvement (when will that be?)
That colour is absolutely lovely.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:58:14 PM »
Please report back as the manicure wears.  I have never had any kind of professional manicure, but I am interested in the gel type if it lasts a good long time.  Maybe for a vacation or special occasion.  I also would like to hear about the removal process when it's time.  Some people say the gel is difficult to get off.

It does look quite elegant and suits you very well, I think.  I hope it holds up well for you!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »
I think your mani is lovely. The color is pretty and looks like it would play well with lots of colors, attire-wise.

I want to do a gel mani but there's no one in town to maintain it for me. Maybe this summer when I hope to visit my sons in the Twin Cities more often I can get one in and maintain it.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart