News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Does anyone else NOT wear nail polish?  (Read 2890 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Does anyone else NOT wear nail polish?
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
Just wondering, as it seems that virtually everyone is doing nail polish these days. Does anyone, other than milla who posted recently about just moisturizing her nails, just keep things really simple and go with the natural beauty of their nails, if well-kept(trimmed, moisturized)? Also, more and more space at the drugstore is being devoted to nail polishes. Granted, there are all kinds of pretty colors which I appreciate since I'm a painter, but it's a totally different matter to have this toxic, fume-filled stuff stuck to one's nails. But I'm highly-sensitive to scents in general - every time I go by our neighborhood nail salon, I can smell the stuff from OUTSIDE, so I can't imagine what it's like for the poor young women who are working in these kinds of places.  If one gets into this habit at home, where in the world is one putting all of this extra stuff? I've seen posts on MUA by people who say they have hundreds of nail polishes. My manicures and pedicures(if you can call them that) are strictly DIY, ultra-simple, as in just cutting and filing my nails - done!:) Well, OK, for feet, I do have to soak them first. My cuticles have always been smooth and even - no care required in that respect. I know not everyone is into this mode, but was just wondering if anyone else here was.:) My husband keeps suggesting that I should treat myself to a professional pedicure, but I told him I'd save that for when I'm too old and feeble to cut my own nails. Hopefully that's a very very long time off yet!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Does anyone else NOT wear nail polish?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
Nails and brows seem to be the 'in' thing these days. While I don't care much for over-worked eyebrows (by this I mean the 'stencilled' kind of eyebrow, favoured by some women), I do like to see an elegant,  well-cared hand. So I moisturise my hands, and I would wear bright nail polish... if it suited me. I have experimented with different colours, but I ended up given them away, because my hands look a lot nicer if I stick to clear or very natural polish. As  for pedicures, I go to a chiropodist every 6 months and he sorts out my heels and the dry skin. I moisturise my feet in between visits. Looking after your feet in your 60s is not a luxury, but an essential part of looking after yourself, just like looking after your teeth....If your husband is willing to pay for your pedicures, just take it and say thanks very much! if not, giving your feet a soak at the end of the day, and applying moisturiser before going to sleep should not take long and believe me, you will see a change...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
@milla - my feet don't seem to need very much in the way of care - they're in very good shape actually, from NOT wearing uncomfortable shoes, and getting plenty of exercise. I hardly ever moisturize them - just the daily shower at the gym is enough. The only time I do is when I do my foot soak once a month and trim and file nails. I have no bunions, or other orthopedic problems, for which I really thankful. Another reason I won't go and have pedicures unless there's no other way is that I'm TERRIFIED of anyone coming at my feet with sharp instruments!:( I know people LOVE pedicures and all, but I simply don't think I'd be one of them and am honestly way too scared to even try. The one time my husband and I went to a salon that his ex swore by, and he loved the pedicure and it fixed a couple of nail situations for him but I chickened out and just waited until he was done.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »
Lucky you. I have terrible feet, it is genetic. I have a bunion, just like my mother's.  :cry: :cry: but my legs are still in good shape (Thank God for that!)

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »
Im lucky if I remember on the weekends to groom. I really do not have the money or time to do regular 'mani/pedis' not that I am not interested I do feel weird letting a stranger cut back my nails etc. I can handle haircuts,color but nails seems too personal if that makes sense.

Right now wearing nothing. It is a good day if my nails are perfectly filed down and I had some time to put clear coat or sheer pink flesh shade on them. I need 45 min to completely dry even with some kind of topcoat and thats why I do not bother much. If I have time I will do my toes though I rarely wear sandals. I  agree about the smell from nail salons. Cannot Stand Them. I know a woman whose voice was ruined from just breathing in all the fumes from hair spray over the years as a hairdresser. So I pretty much stay home and do my nails.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:39:54 AM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Ya-ay Swest!:) Someone who feels much the same as I do about this!:)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
I have never been interested in professional manicures or pedicures.  I only like a very natural look on my hands, but prefer some sort of finish on my nails. Usually I go for something sheer that is close to my skin tone -- still searching for that perfect one!

On toes for sandal weather, I do use some color. Right now I have on a new mauve cream Zoya polish called Brigitte from the Naturel Collection.  Zoya is a nontoxic (Big 5 Free) brand that I feel safe using. No noxious odor, for one thing.

As always, however, I say to each his own!!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »
As always, however, I say to each his own!!
I believe this, as well.  There are many things that we put on our face/body that can be quite as deadly if used in an abusive way.  I like to think that at this stage in our lives, we can ascertain what is too much. A well cared nails with or without polish are quite beautiful.  Many nail polishs have less harmful chemicals and you have to be just smart when using any products.

I have days when I want to have polish on my nails and some days, I have a clear gloss.  But, no matter what I have on my nails, I like to keep nice and healthy looking.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
@SusieQ: but my nails ARE healthy-looking, if older LOL! Precisely because I DON'T apply harsh stuff to them. My DIY manicures always look neat and I keep my nails short. I don't care what the trends are, because I regard both my hands and feet as functional appendages and value them highly since I both paint and dance.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 08:59:23 PM »
@SusieQ: but my nails ARE healthy-looking, if older LOL! Precisely because I DON'T apply harsh stuff to them. My DIY manicures always look neat and I keep my nails short. I don't care what the trends are, because I regard both my hands and feet as functional appendages and value them highly since I both paint and dance.
Good for you, cara!  I'm lucky that I have healthy nails and still can put on polish. Without or with nails, people always think I have fake nails on.  But, I do enjoy nails with colors.  To each her own, as Listy said.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »
Well I finally broke my no nail polish at work. Spent some time at my sisters house sitting her pets etc and sort of raided her stash. Did my toes hot pink and a light pinky coral on the fingertips. Its already chipping and peeling. Now just have to do something about the rough  :-[skin on my feet. Need pampering now.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
Well I finally broke my no nail polish at work. Spent some time at my sisters house sitting her pets etc and sort of raided her stash. Did my toes hot pink and a light pinky coral on the fingertips. Its already chipping and peeling. Now just have to do something about the rough  :-[skin on my feet. Need pampering now.
I hate it when it chips after a day or two.  :(  I have pink and purple on the fingernails this week.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:35:04 PM »

I take that back Not really a Waitress seems much warmer. Does OPI still make it? I could have sworn it was more on the hot pink/violet side. Anyway went to CVS and got Nicole (opi) ''Stolen Kisses" Hot pink shimmer.  Major nail purchase for me. Plenty of cheap colors but decided quality over quantity.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:57:39 AM by Swest »

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »
PS I did my first real manicure after maybe 6 mos of not really bothering with my toes or nails. Usually I just cut them back and file down when I think of it: :P Went out and bought  a cheap mini
manicure set (I know I had one long ago but lost it). How did I ever get by with out a metal file? Next resolution  :
                             Will keep my hands and cuticles conditioned

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
PS I did my first real manicure after maybe 6 mos of not really bothering with my toes or nails. Usually I just cut them back and file down when I think of it: :P Went out and bought  a cheap mini
manicure set (I know I had one long ago but lost it). How did I ever get by with out a metal file? Next resolution  :

Once you're back in the habit of manicures, try a glass nail file. (Sephora has them.) They leave nail edges so smoooooth. I'll never use a metal file again!

Good luck with your resolution!   :nail:
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut