News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Which Jarrow probiotics and what dose per day?  (Read 671 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Which Jarrow probiotics and what dose per day?
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »
Someone here mentioned that they took Jarrow probiotics and found that they lost 5 pounds without even trying - which sounds great, in addition to the known benefits of probiotics in general. I was looking at the Jarrow at Vitamin Shoppe, but wasn't sure which one to get. Also, just how much does one start with per day? I'm pretty sensitive to supplements and if I'm not careful with introduction, I can easily get an upset tummy or loose stools, so I need help here. Who was it that mentioned the Jarrow brand? Also, which other brands are good? My experience with probiotics has been limited to liquid acidophilus after antibiotics, but I know that other strains that are included in a good formula are important too. Any help appreciated here - thanks!:)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Which Jarrow probiotics and what dose per day?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
I can't remember anyone here saying that about Jarrow, although we have discussed probiotics in general.  I actually change brands often, figuring the more strains I get the better.  I do look for 8-10 strains listed on the back of the bottle. Fresher is better, so I store them in the fridge whether or not the directions tell me to.  I hesitate to recommend any one brand, since there are so many out there.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Which Jarrow probiotics and what dose per day?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »
@makinalist: Thanks for the input - after some research I'm inclined to believe similarly about getting that range of strains. After all, our intestines have tons, likely a whole bunch that no one has discovered yet or what they do. Whatever, the good guys are absolutely essential for our health, and get disrupted by any taking of antibiotics(that get rid of the bad guys, and the good ones along with those), poor food, illnesses that upset intestinal balance, etc. In the meantime I looked up Ultimate 10 probiotics by Vitamin Shoppe(I have one right near me) and that gets good reviews. My body work practitioner who also does a lot of nutritional research recommended that I get onto a probiotic. The one he recommended is kind of expensive, so I didn't go with that one, the Primal Defense by Garden of Life. It does get good reviews though.