News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: bathroom blues...  (Read 1599 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
bathroom blues...
« on: April 12, 2014, 03:57:51 AM »
Here's my bathroom at the moment....
We also have a toilet downstairs, and for the daily ablutions I've invested in a very nice,  lime green plastic bowl. My friend lives down the road and I can go there for a shower.
Unfortunately, I chose some tiles that were not in stock, so now I've got to wait until next week for the plasterer and the tiler. And with Easter coming up, it could be another 2 weeks. Still, it will look nice when it's done.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: bathroom blues...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
Ahhh...remodeling is always fun and something or another always seems to come up that delays things.  We can't wait to see the final finish, milla!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »
It's not going to be fun next week when the plasterer comes...there will be dust everywhere. I think it will look nice;  it needed doing anyway. Unfortunately we had to get rid of the bath tub because it is a very small bathroom and the tub was quite inadequate (my husband has long legs!) . We're having a shower instead. I keep telling myself that it is ecologically sounder and easier to use than a bath tub. There is no room for an extension, and I'd rather not sacrifice a bedroom, as that would definitely lower the value of the property. When it's all done, I'll post the pictures!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
When we had our bathroom remodeled we went on a trip to London and left the guy to do whatever he needed to do.

It went so well I recommended it to my mom, too - their apartment complex had extensive pipe repairs done + mom´s bathroom completely remodeled. She spent four lovely weeks in Greece. It cost the same or less than renting a bed-sit in the town. (She lives in another city, it wasn´t the same guy.)

Highly recommended!

Of course, it would be a horrible disappointment to return and find the tiles have not arrived + the bathroom is still in progress.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:29:26 AM »
I could have done that, the person who is in charge of the project is very reliable and we have known him for years; it is just not convenient for us to go away at this time of the year and it is more expensive, because it is the Easter holiday! I am retired now but DH is still working part time.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:49 AM »
Oh my goodness, Milla! But I bet it will be wonderful when it's all done & hope to see the "after" photos.
By the way - I love your window.  Are they all that style?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »
You should have seen the window we had in the bathroom before,It had stained glass! It almost makes me cry that we had to get rid of it, but the wood was rotten and it costs an awful lot of money to replace it with something similar.
I am getting slightly fed up. I got up at 6:30am today because the plasterer was supposed to come  early today, and they phoned at 8:00 saying that they couldn't come because...they got tied up in another job, someone had let him down blah blah blah.And it is my birthday :cry:and I had to go down the road for a shower :cry:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
this was the original window....

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 08:13:24 PM »
First, happy, happy birthday!  I hope your day improved after the disappointing morning.
SO frustrating about the plasterer. I hope this was just one slip-up & he will prove to be more reliable.
Lastly - that window is beautiful! I don't blame you for being sad to lose it.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
Oh, milla - at least your lime green plastic bowl is a very nice one!  I would hate if you were stuck with some ordinary, cheap one. :cry:  I hope your bathroom is soon up and running (so to speak)!
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:57 AM »
Milla, I hope you saved the window!

You know, I bought one (in bad condition) and hanged it between my real double-glazed window. It looks really good there!

Aww I had not realized it was your birthday......I wish it got much better later on!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 03:08:53 AM »
Still using the lovely lime green bowl. They had to send back a faulty toilet pan, which was leaking (!!), but the walls have been plastered  ready to be tiled and the electrics are more or less in place, and the units have been assembled. Fortunately both myself and DH are 50s babies and we started our lives in houses without bathrooms, with  outside toilets and a zinc tub in the front room, plus wash stands in the bedrooms. We are fairly adaptable. It is amazing, though, how doing up a small bathroom creates such a lot of mess. The hall and stairs are covered with dust sheets the front door is open and the back bedroom is full of tools and bathroom furniture. We've also had a steady stream of people coming round touting for all sorts of jobs, and offering to collect the bits and pieces in the front garden, but we have arranged it already with a firm recommended by the builders.
As for the builders, they are very nice people and we have known the plumber for ages. they have never let us down. They drink  nothing during the day except  tea, unlike a man we had a while ago to paint the front of the house, who absolutely lived on beer and cigarettes. Nice, friendly man, but I was so scared for his safety that I offered to walk him home one day after he finished the work.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
You have my complete sympathies regarding remodeling, of any kind. In our home we have remodeled both bathrooms, added a huge room, removed the old roof (which was 5 layers deep in shingles!) and replaced it and the gutters, replaced most of the windows, and removed and replaced all of the siding. Oh, and we replaced carpet throughout the whole main floor with hardwood and tile. Of the nearly 10 years we've lived in this house it feels like about half of that time was spent in some stage of construction.

The finished product, though, is oh-so-wonderful if it's done right. And even though we ended up with some real bozos working on our home, somehow it almost all came out right.

Your bathroom sounds like it will be a true oasis in your home and you will be very happy you had the work done. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
It's nearly finished! We will be able to use the shower tomorrow evening (we have to let the mastic dry for 24 hours). We still have to choose the floor, but everything else is nearly done; the electrician is up there now  sorting out the lights. It is a small bathroom, but it is looking good. I don't 'mourn'  the loss of the  tub, because it was small. I am quite happy with the shower. Ours is a small house, but it is perfect for the two of us and for our children when they come to stay.
I must say that I have always wanted to live in a big, rambling house (I have seen some beautiful places this afternoon in another part of London), but the trouble with big old houses is that they require a lot of maintenance and they cost a lot to keep warm in winter. If we sold this house we could buy something a lot bigger outside London. But I'd never move out of London...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 11:46:16 AM »
So, what's the final verdict? Is the bathroom complete and wonderful?

Regarding losing the tub, when we remodeled our bathroom we had a nice soaking tub put in but I have since learned that I am not the type to take leisurely baths. I tried it a few times but it's just not my thing. I found myself thinking of all the other things I could have been doing instead. :lol:
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart