News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Are there really differences in inexpensive vs. pricey shampoo?  (Read 3012 times)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Are there really differences in inexpensive vs. pricey shampoo?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
"My" hairdresser said the difference is not a question of the quality but a professional will choose the most suitable products for you. Why would she admit d/s products are as good as her salon ones, were that not true?  ???
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

denisiel

• Gold Member

flyingvisa

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 05:49:49 AM »
The more expensive brands have higher quality fragrances and a higher surfactant to water ratio (lower priced ones are essentially watered down). Also, many have silicones to make hair shiny and silicones are expensive relative to other shampoo ingredients.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
I don't think there is much difference between cheap or expensive products at all.  If something is harsh, you can dilute it 10 to 1.  I have heard that the latest version of Suave shampoos, I think it's called Salon, is really good.  I buy something really inexpensive at the drugstore and always dilute it.   I used Dr. Bronner's for years, and other very mild shampoos from health food stores, and agree with the poster here who said that a surfactant is a surfactant is a surfactant.  The pricier brands are not selling more effective or gentler surfactants.

Hard water is another problem and like various people here have said, to remedy it you need to install a softener.  Water filters remove impurities but do nothing to soften water.  And softeners are another set of issues and not cheap, but definitely worth it for many.   If your area has hard water I'd ask other people in the community how they remedy it, and if there is a good local softener installer they recommend.  There are new magnetic softeners which may or may not work ... it's hard to get a realistic appraisal but if you look on amazon or google around you'll see them.   In France they sell magnetic softeners which attach to the faucet or shower-head, and I've used these and think they do a good job though a softener would be better.   

angela001

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 12:11:07 PM »
I think that the more expensive brands have access to some irrelevant ingridiants, but they have the same basic formula like the inexpensive ones.. It's all about the brand..