News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: UV light exposure merits sunscreen  (Read 806 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
UV light exposure merits sunscreen
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »
I never thought about this but when I go for my next mani where I put my hands under the UV light I'll be applying sunscreen. Apparently the risk of skin cancer from nail UV lights is small but photo-aging is a real possibility according to this article. Also, I am concerned about the people who work in nail salons. Their UV exposure is greater and it can affect their eyes as well.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/05/01/308365116/love-that-gel-nail-polish-but-know-it-doesnt-come-risk-free
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: UV light exposure merits sunscreen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
That's something I had never thought about, thanks for posting the link. I have not had any manicures for ages. I found that my nails could not cope with it and were getting increasingly damaged. Recently I have found a product that is really amazing. I have used it a couple of friends have used it and it works like a dream! I tend to be a bit sceptical about these things but this stuff is good:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/leighton-denny-renovate-nail-repair-therapy-10ml/p/p22182985

Don't know if they ship to the US...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »
Actually, they offer free shipping to the US with a minimum purchase of £30 and promo code USDELIVERY.

I did, however, find the product available from at least one seller in the US. That makes four things for me to learn about today!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
I still love this product. It has made a difference to my nails which were in a terrible state. I am using it sparingly and I think I'll re-purchase...