News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Breaking News on Protein and Aging  (Read 1452 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Breaking News on Protein and Aging
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:36:17 AM »
Occassionally I listen to podcasts by The Nutrition Diva.  Today I heard some interesting news about suggested protein intake.  After hearing this, I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting enough protein!

The link is to the website where you can read about it, or listen to the podcast if you like. 
"Breaking News on Protein and Aging"
  http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/prevention/breaking-news-on-protein-and-aging-episode-280

Also:
"Despite High Protein Diet Craze, Seniors Likely to Be Deficient"
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/despite-high-protein-diet-craze-seniors-likely-to
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Breaking News on Protein and Aging
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »
Although I definitely hear the part about protein and muscle maintenance, I have to wonder if the meat industry pays for studies like this. Remember, protein can be gotten from a variety of sources, not just meat. There are many healthy older vegetarians, if they don't just end up eating starchy things all the time. Also, people do vary - some people do indeed do better on a high animal protein diet, others mixed, and still others vegetarian with more natural carbohydrates.
Personally, I've been off red meat altogether for more than 30 years, and off poultry for 6. I still do eat eggs and occasional seafood however. My body worker tells me that I should eat more meat but for me that totally doesn't work. I've TRIED to eat a little bit of chicken in the last year, but I just feel uncomfortable with more than just one little bite, so I skip it myself. It seems that I do better with only the lightest of animal protein, and much more in the way of vegetarian proteins myself. I work out plenty, and feel great!:) A heavy meat diet would just weigh me down, plus I don't like factory farming one bit.
There's yet another part of the equation - a big reason for age-related muscle loss is the fact that the very group who stands to benefit most from solid weight training, doesn't do it - that is, older women. It takes more than diet to keep that muscle up, and to build anew. Just sayin...

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
I think I’ll go with Cara… I do eat meat (beef, lamb, pork and poultry) but I eat it in smaller quantities than I did before and I try to get free range. In fact if I could not get free range  I’d rather go without meat altogether and get my protein from pulses and dark green vegetables. I have been  on a protein- only diet for a very short period and I did not like it one bit. I need my veg and my fruit. However,  I have given up pasta completely and I only have small portions of rice. As for bread ( my biggest weakness) I eat it sparingly and I go for wholemeal rather than white bread. Cakes, pastries and biscuits…very rarely, less than once a month. No sweets at all, but I’ll have some dark chocolate occasionally.
It is a cliché but you do have to listen to your body, as you get older, and mine tells me that large chunks of meat, pasta, cake,  mess up my digestive system big time. On the other hand, salads, raw vegetables, fruit, nuts, oily fish, small portions of meat and plain, live yoghurt make me feel great.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »
@milla: So glad to hear someone else who agrees!:) I don't like drinking milk either, although I will eat some cheese. Drinking milk just feels AWFUL to me and it was NO problem whatsoever to give it up. The only dairy I eat is a bit of cheese - I'm totally not a fan of yogurt, sour cream or any cream in fact. I don't even do soy or almond milk, that's how much I dislike milky things in general. But eggs, seafood, beans, dark greens, fruits, beans, nuts and seeds make me feel great. I have lessened my starch intake but not given it up entirely. With working out, one does need SOME, preferably unrefined, like sprouted grain products, whole grains, potatoes, root veggies, squashes. I do eat some rice sometimes and I enjoy it!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
There are some good points in the article though. It is true that some older people don’t have a good diet, not just because they don’t have enough money or have an impaired sense of taste and smell but  also because they are on their own , so they don’t bother to cook for one. I find this very sad. Eating on your own is not the same as eating in company…

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
I am one of those who, left to her own devices and on my own, would have to force herself to eat well. I completely burned out on cooking as a single mother. Both of my kids went through picky eating stages, one much longer than the other. I grew weary of trying to find food they would both eat that was interesting to me as well. Now I am spoiled as DH loves to do the grocery shopping and cooking. He prepares well-balanced meals for the most part with plenty of greens and protein. I'm not a huge meat eater but I'll have a bit of steak or poultry and I enjoy eggs, fish, and seafood if they are prepared properly. I also have always loved and tolerated dairy products well. Yogurt has been a staple for me recently and I like as much milk as coffee in my cup in the morning.

Since I've been more off my diet than on it for the past several months (I have only gained back a few pounds during that time), some additional carbs in the form of rice and rice noodles have slipped into our diet on a weekly basis (we love pad thai with rice noodles and curry dishes over rice) but I've been gearing up to go back on my diet. It has been hard to stick to my diet with frequent trips away from home as we go through the house search and other events but soon that should settle down and I intend to get fully back on my diet before we move. I am firmly committed to reaching and staying at my goal weight by November 15th of this year. That will require me to drop about 5 lbs. per month and I think that is reasonable for me, especially once I can join a gym and get in regular workouts.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:26:45 AM »
I think the article interested me because I never really gave protein much thought.  I know it's important to have some protein in one's diet, but that's about all I know.
One thing that surprised me is the protein chart, & the different amounts of protein of the food items.  I didn't realize chicken had much more protein than an egg.  (feeling dumb!  :o)
I'll probably be a little more conscious of protein in my diet now.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 02:02:54 AM »
ILLucy,  did not know that either,  so that makes two of us  :wink:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 03:32:03 PM »
This is why it's important to eat more than one egg at a meal - at least 2 anyway. Yes, meats in general are way up there for protein. As mentioned before, the very most I can handle without feeling uncomfortably full right now is a bite or maybe 2 of chicken or turkey, and if I would really work at it(really hard for me!:() I COULD conceivably work up to eating a whole 3-oz. of that chicken or turkey. I tried before, a couple of years ago, and it didn't go well, but I might have tried to go too fast. I thought I was going slow enough with transitioning back, but evidently not. However, some seafood, eggs, tofu, quinoa, some cheese, beans, dark greens, and some raw nuts and seeds are all great and I have NO trouble eating these!:) Everybody's needs are different anyway. Some people totally THRIVE on very high-protein diets, while others don't, and vice versa. One diet does NOT fit all. But I will agree about bumping the protein up a bit with aging, along with resistance exercise to counteract otherwise very real muscle-loss. That muscle-loss over time is how people lose their ability to do daily activities and live independently for as long as they can.

Pankitty

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
I eat a lot less meat than I used to - but more salmon. I just love it. I also agree that getting proteins from a variety of sources seems to work for me. Beans & rice, yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, greens...it's all good.

Interesting I find I don't feel as good if I have a beef meal and I've lost the taste for poultry.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
Like I say, I've been off red meat for more than 30 years(it got to be that it didn't agree with me, so I WON'T be adding it back in), but in the last few months, I have gradually added some poultry back into my diet after 6 years without. It took some time though, as at first just a bite or two would make me feel uncomfortable. But after awhile, my digestion got accustomed to it again, so now I can eat a 3-oz. serving twice a week or so. The rest of my diet is the same though. Yes, we do need some more protein(from whatever sources)as we age, to keep from losing too much muscle tissue. That loss WILL happen if we're not getting sufficient protein for our needs now, and also if we're not doing any strength-training, so both are necessary. Still, one doesn't have to OD on protein - just bump it up somewhat from where one was before and go from there.