News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 62750 times)

SilverCrown

• Administrator
Introduce yourself!
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »
Just say hi and share only that which you are comfortable sharing publicly.

I have a number of screen names on a number of sites pertaining to beauty but I prefer not to spell out what they are. The reason for my reluctance is that I still enjoy those sites and I have no desire to stand out as the owner of a competing site.

I have enough MU to last me well into the next century and find myself spending less and less on new acquisitions as I learn how best to use that which I have.

Of course skin care products disappear like water. I had built up quite a store of different brands of skin care products and this past year have made a point of using them up or tossing them. I will definitely be looking for recommendations sometime in the next few months as my moisturizer supply dwindles.

How about you?
-SilverCrown

Canie

• Administrator
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »
Current MUA member who is very happy to find someone who's willing to focus on over 40 needs and wants.

I know SilverCrown well and hope that she is successful with this forum! I look forward to learning about lots of things since I'm kind of lost about makeup these days.
-Canie

daisymae

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:20:51 PM »
daisymae, feeling traitorous for coming here from MUA but I hope it succeeds. 54 years young, passionate about makeup and skin care, and looking forward to a community of my peers.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »
I am makinalist, so to speak, and also came here from MUA.   I am 58, with silvery hair and blue eyes.  I have cool-toned, light skin(NW20), with a little redness on the cheeks and around the nose.  I'm seeing just a bit of hyper-pigmentation but very few lines and no wrinkles.  (The women in my family are blessed with fine English complexions.)  I am excited to finally have a chance to share ideas with others of my age group.  I am interested in what works with my changing appearance and how to maintain what is left of it!  I think colors are hard to choose now that my hair is so light.

At the same time, I am also excited to make new online friends (and keep the old) with whom I'm sure I will have a lot in common.  Hi, y'all!  (Yes, I'm a little bit southern.)
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

daisymae

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
I should have added more details. Oops.

54, blue/grey eyes, fair (NW15-20), with hair in a multitude of weird shades at this stage in my life. It was white blonde as a young person, then in my 40's it began to get darker, and now it has grey slowly but surely creeping in.

I have far more makeup than I know what to do with and have drastically cut back on spending on it, not so much because of the economy (although that has played a role) but because I realized I only need so many different colors and shades.

My mantra: Do I need it or do I want it? An honest answer to that has prevented me from spending thousands the past 2 years. I got carried away about 3 years ago, forgetting my long-standing method of looking at my makeup like I (should) look at my wardrobe. Basically, just because a color is so beautiful I can't stand it doesn't mean it's a color I need or can use. If I can't wear gold (think autumn gold) clothing, what makes me think I can wear gold e/s? Yet I have several in gold! I can sometimes use a little bit but that's seldom and such a tiny amount that one gold e/s is more than sufficient.

Collecting was attractive for a while. Then I realized that for the cost of the ~60 MAC Pigments that I have, I could have a gorgeous leather arm chair for my den. I do love looking at the pigment display but I'd rather have an arm chair. :)

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »
Hello.  It is fun to see all the similarity here, I feel at home already.  I have frequented MUA but am in a much different position now (as are you) to the majority of posters there. 

DH & I recently moved from MN to FL, leaving my now empty nest where we lived for 17 years, to a whole new life as a couple again in a new townhouse in perpetual summer.

Now 52, my hair is changing color along with my skin (yes I wear sun screen, but have a tan now for the first time).  My thin lips are getting even thinner... but I refuse to fade away!

I too have deep blue/gray eyes, was born strawberry blond which morphed into dishwater blond that got darker as the years went on, pale oily skin.

I was lucky enough to be able to choose to be a stay at home mom.  I had a big garden, canned tomatoes and froze beans, stored onions.  I love to cook, bake, sew, paint and decorate.  Always had a healthy interest in hair and makeup.  I did not collect that much, though, I was more interested in finding the 'right' products and colors. 

Glad to have found a place to chat with my peers.  See you on the boards.   :-*
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

deem

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:01:54 PM »
I am also glad to have found this board.  I have been a member of MUA for a number of years, but my visits have become less frequent recently.  One, the economy (it is sometimes hard to visit MUA without getting lemmings).  And two, I find it difficult there to find information about makeup and skincare products and other advice that I feel are really helpful to me at this stage of my life.

I live in FL (am actually a native), have blonde hair, and green eyes.  My skin is fair, but not porcelain, with redness on cheeks and nose.  Hence, my interest in foundations.

Looking forward to getting to know everybody here.

Jicci

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Ladies, Hi there :  I like your style!         ;)

bellen

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
Hi all! Another MUAer over here....
Looking forward to learning lots from you guys.  am currently looking at 50 and dealing with hormonal skin issues as well as thinner skin.  I  would love it if we could talk about dealing with the gray hair also,  there's so little out there! 

Nepthys

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
Hi everyone! I am an MUAer too, just turned 42 and so excited to see this forum. I truly believe that aging is not what it was a few decades ago, and we are redefining what it means to age as we go along. To me, that means a committment to feeling and looking good, and the boldness to live the way I want to - not the way society says "an older woman" should live.

I have blondish-brown hair that seems to be getting darker, green eyes and fair/medium Caucasian skin that annoyingly is as oily as ever, while getting drier and thinner around my eyes. No wrinkles yet, knock on wood. I was a big sun worshipper as a teenager and have been fighting sun damage every since! I love makeup but at this point I think I possess pretty much everything I would ever want or need... Not that I don't still pop into Sephora twice a week, but I'm at a point in my life where I need to be investing my money more than spending it.  ;)

I hope this site really takes off.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 08:25:28 AM »
Just want to smile big and say 'Hi' to all the newbies.   :D

I love the themes coming up here:
- aging is not what it used to be
- we are just as concerned about health, fitness and beauty as ever
- we have lots to offer and chat about

??? but, don't you think it's rather unfair of Mother Nature to gradually darken our hair over the decades just to allow the grays to show up more?   ???
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
Ladies, Hi there :  I like your style!         ;)

Welcome, Jicci! It's good to have you here!
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

castell

• Platinum Member
  • castell
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 02:51:42 AM »
Also here from MUA----same name! And see some familiar names here!
There are good days and there are bad days and this is one of them.

texannie

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 09:17:43 AM »
Another MUA'er here too! I was excited to get the PM.
I am Annie (obviously from TX LOL). I am 51 years old. Brown hair (naturally about 70% gray), green eyes. I am medium fair, with rosacea, a little sun damage and fine lines (lovely!).
I am forever on the quest for the perfect foundation and haircut!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
♪♫ I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it! ♪♫

So glad y'all are here with us!  Is it just me. or does Texas have a high percentage of beautiful women?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce