News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 55898 times)

linc2

• Platinum Member
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
Hi, y'all. I'm from MUA too, same screen name. Really impressed with what I've seen so far. Love the features! Thanks to you geniuses who put this together -- wow --icons and spellcheck and fonts!!

Bio stuff. Name is Linda, 61 y.o., lived in Virginia for 30 years, hubby, 1 son (32, who is engaged) and 1 daughter (30). I am blessed to still have my mom and mom-in-law. I'm a professor, altho I prefer not giving too many details on that....could be identified by my students, and some modicum of privacy is nice. As for hobbies -- other than work, my family is my #1 love and priority, cooking, walking, reading. Someday, I'll get back to knitting, try jewelry-making, take classes, volunteer work -- after I retire.

As for the nitty gritty on coloring. I'm dark brunette, both originally and chemically ::), fair-medium skin tone(NC25), green eyes, some fine lines and some not so fine, not too many wrinkles. With age, some unevenness to my complexion, so I like a good foundation.

Have a past history of wasting money on "trial and error" MU products, but have settled comfortably these days into buying and using what truly looks best.

I'm definitely into healthy eating, regular exercise (wish it could be more of a priority -- time constraints), taking good care of my skin, and using quality make-up. Like to look like "I tried." ;D

Very interested in the opinions and experiences of others in my demographic. Love to learn new tricks! I'm excited to be here, sharing with y'all, and mostly staying connected with my friends from MUA.

Take care, y'all. Have a great weekend, and we'll talk soon.
Linda
  • Complexion: NC25, dry
  • Eyes: Green
  • Hair: Dark brown, thick, wavy

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »
Hi everyone!
I am happy to have been messaged about this board too.  I'm keeping my same MUA user name. though, I rarely post there.  I'll probably continue to visit both there and here for information and fun diversion from everyday life  ;)

I'm 48, with fine, blond (highlighted) hair and blue eyes.  I've no idea what my NC # is!!??
I probably have lots of sun damage from all those summers with baby oil & iodine and Coppertone Butter{{sigh}}.  So, I'm always looking for relatively inexpensive anti-aging 'potions' that work.  

I don't wear lots of make up, but find it fun!  (I wore lots in my 20's)  Definitely don't go anywhere without at least mascara and lip gloss. :)    And I love Sephora.  
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

coalcracker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »
Baaa-aaa!  Following the others from MUA, and looking forward to getting to know everyone better & hearing their great advice.  Have met some really great gals already & feel a real affinity with you!
Down in TX also.  I have lots of interests.  Turning 50 on the last day of this year, with grey eyes & blonde/grey hair that stays pretty light b/c of the sun (spent two weeks at the beach in Aug. which really bleached it out).  Medium-toned dry skin with (evidently!) quite a few lines.  I was not aware of this until the other day, when I saw a close-up up photo of myself, smiling.  :o Wrinkles everywhere.  I don't smile when I look in the bathroom mirror, and snapshots don't show 'em, so I had no idea!  LOL.  No biggie, I just want to look & feel my best, like always.  And I'll always be nuts about makeup, lotions, potions, "schmelly" stuff, sparkles, Hello Kitty, rainbows & ponies... ya know, all the girlie stuff.   ;)    
From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.
~Raymond Chandler~

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »
*waves excitedly*  Welcome!  Hello!

A lot of us came from MUA, and still love it.  I really like to check out products and colors there before thinking about buying.  But I did not post there either.   

;D  Unfortunately for you, I cannot seem to shut up here.   ;D

We mature beauties have a lot of offer, and have a lot of experiences that the young'ins cannot relate to.  Here we can talk to each other.  I'm looking forward to chatting with you all.
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

ontariogirl

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 05:23:40 PM »
Hi there!  I am also from MUA but was fairly new there. I am so happy to have found this board ( thanks again Tupelo! )  I am 38  but soooo close to 40 that I feel I fit right in here.  I have 4 children ( who range in age from 2 to 16 ) and Oh my God I have another one  on the way as well.  So not just dealing with aging but I am aging pregnant mom!!!  Anyway I  am from Canada am a stay at home mom ( of course! ) who nursed for many years.  I have long brown hair....which I just grew out at age 35 after a lifetime of shorthair.  It seems I start a lot of things late in life.  I am also fairly new to my love of makeup.  I always wore some MU....but its just been the last few years that I have grown to really love MU and of course good skin care.  I am so glad to meet everyone here and thankyou silvercrown for starting this site!!!   I look forward to chatting and learning from you all!!!   

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
I’m thrilled about this board.  I came from MUA and still visit, but usually nobody will talk to me anymore.

I picked “Cougar” as my handle here … cuz I wish I wuz a cougar but I ain’t!!!  Acutally, I simply picked it because all the cougar hoopla lately is hilarious to me and I laugh easily.

I’m almost 56.  I have adored makeup since I was 14.  My cousin introduced me to makeup; she kept hers in a fishing tackle box and I think of that today when I open up my “backup trunk”.  I have light olive skin; when I was younger, I tanned super darkly but I’m paying for it now with so many teensy broken capillaries (that I get zapped with laser when I can afford it).  My skin is fairly wrinkle free; I have super greasy skin and you can see actual rivulets of oil where some have “marionette lines”.  It ain’t pretty but long ago I learned to embrace my oiliness.  It simply boils down to discovering what works.  My iris color is so dark brown, they’re almost black; hence, I have to be careful when doing a smokey eye or I simply end up with 2 black holes for eyes.  My dark dark brown hair (that’s how it’s listed on my early citizenship papers) now has grey; I color my hair to avoid the skunk stripe down the middle!  My hairdresser colors my roots a dark brown but then puts in teensy caramel hilites all over my entire head, which gives the impression of a lighter brown, but it’s not dyed all one color.  My lips are still full so I take advantage of that; my eyes are disappearing as the upper lids are lowering (drat them!) and the lids are crêpey.  But all and all, when I look at my buds around the same age, we all look purdy good if you ask me!  There’s so many teenagers on fashion covers and ads, people don’t really know what mature women look like … or CAN look like when we take the time to polish up.

I love makeup, collect it, and can play with it or talk about it all day.

Thank you mods for creating a board where I feel free to play again.

. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

clancygirl

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 11:44:33 AM »
 ;D Hi all Im from the UK (the only one so far I think) and Im a 41 year old married mum of two teenage boys.I love makeup and skincare and I know I have way too much and that I'll never use it up but its my only guilty pleasure and I have no other vices  lol
I'm so pleased to see a site for us older ladies and I hope to make some new friends,I've made a few on MUA thru swapping and they're great girls  :) Looking forward to watching this site grow and develop.

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
Oh, welcome frmo the UK ... we're global now!!!

. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

;D Hi all Im from the UK (the only one so far I think) and Im a 41 year old married mum of two teenage boys.I love makeup and skincare and I know I have way too much and that I'll never use it up but its my only guilty pleasure and I have no other vices  lol
I'm so pleased to see a site for us older ladies and I hope to make some new friends,I've made a few on MUA thru swapping and they're great girls  :) Looking forward to watching this site grow and develop.
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

mimi13

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 01:24:20 PM »
Hello, all!  mimi13 here, also over from MUA with all of my girls!!  I just turned 52, have blonde hair (no gray at all, thanks again to genetics ~ my Dad had only 25% gray when he passed away at 75) and green eyes.  My skin is super dry due to genetics and my hysterectomy in 1998!   :'( I used to have a super oily face, though, so no wrinkles so far **knocks wood**!!  I find myself being a true makeup tramp in that I'm not loyal to any one brand.  Maybe it's a form of ADHD, but as soon as I see something new and interesting, I find myself straying....! ::)  I have a med/light complexion, with some redness in my chin area and around my nose, but what I hate most of all is my dark circles >:(  I have naturally deep-set eyes, and high cheekbones (thanks, Dad!) so I also have shadows cast from the cheekbones which doesn't help!  I've used sunscreen religiously for quite a few years now, and living in the NW, we don't see alot of sun! :(  I have 3 kiddos; my son turns 32 today (happy birthday, baby!), and two beautiful daughters that are 28 and 23.  The 28 y/o has two baby girls, age 7 and 2, and the youngest has a 4mo. old!!  No babies yet from my son and his wife, though, but I keep hoping!!  My daughters and I look so much alike, that, when people are feeling especially generous, they say we look like sisters! ;)  Looking forward to my new home here with all of you!!  (Sorry for the life story, but you DID say 'introduce yourself'! :-[)
"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.  That's deep enough.  What do you want ~ an adorable pancreas?"

kblack

• Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
I was delighted to get an invite from MUA. Lessee, I am 52, my real hair color seems to be getting lighter and lighter grey/white but I'm making it light blond with some brownish low-lights, brown eyes, oily skin. I'm about 1 year into menopause, take no hormones, seem to be doing okay.

I've spent 30 years in the social work field; went back to school in 2007 to get my MSW so I could bail on my gumment job if I wanted to and still be able to work. I graduate (fingers crossed) May 2010.

I've been married this time for 19 years and this is the "happily ever after" guy for me. I am not quite an empty nester--we have a rebounder 23 y.o. son living with us. We also have a daughter, 30, with a husband and five kids, another son, who would have been 34 this week, who passed last spring due to post-transplant complications, which was in turn due to Cystic Fibrosis, and a wonderful daughter-in-law.

(One kid I birthed, two I raised from early teenagehood, so we drop the "step" prefix most of the time).

I hoard collect partially because I'm ADD and love shiny, pretty new things, and also as a distraction or reward. Although I still am on the lookout for HG stuff, I'm pretty satisfied with what I have (although if a neutral e/s has a name I've never heard of and a glowing description, I'll probably get it).

We have a tiny dog, a bigger cat, live in a log house lined with bookcases, in rural NC (foothills area).
My newest toy is a kindle--love my portable bookcase!

I'm still wading through my eldest son's music recommendations (thanks to the internet I can pull up all of his old blogs and sites, and he LOVED telling people what we should be listening to) and am currently listening to Arctic Monkeys, Magnetic Fields, Fountains of Wayne, and other similar bands.

I'm also a recovering BPAL addict--my daughter-in-law enabled me into their perfume oils, which also led to dabbling in LUSH. Now I tend to stick to Etsy sellers of bath and body goodies.

Kathryn
(waiting on that de-stashing part of life to hurry up and get here!)
Rules for Success in Life:
Show up
Listen
Tell the truth
Let go of the outcome

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »
Kathryn, welcome to the fray!  You've been through quite a lot but you sure do maintain a good sense of humor.

P.S. De-stashing ain't all that  ;D

. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

mimi13

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »
Kathryn, so sorry to hear about your eldest son.  It sounds like you keep his memory alive, which is a very good thing.  I look forward to having you here with all of us!
"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.  That's deep enough.  What do you want ~ an adorable pancreas?"

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »
Anybody that loves shiny things is welcome around here!
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

castell

• Platinum Member
  • castell
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »
Welcome Kathryn!
You've been through so much and seem to be handling with grace, not an easy path.

You like BPal?  Have you tried Possets [no affiliation, just an addict]?
And I, too, have discovered the wonderland of etsy!

There are good days and there are bad days and this is one of them.

Kelly

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
I came from MUA, but I had only discovered it this past summer, so I don't feel bad for defecting.

I am 47, married-no-kids, with (natural light brown) auburn hair that I dye with henna. Henna was a recent experiment this past summer because I wanted to stop using toxins on my head, and I LOVE the results.

I have cool-toned, light skin (NW 15-20) with some redness on cheeks and chin from mild rosacea. Otherwise, my skin looks very good for my biological age, though my neck doesn't quite match that. :(  Very few lines on my face and zero wrinkles yet. I am surprised because my mother was quite wrinkly in her 30s, but I now suspect it was because she had a hysterectomy at 32 and had no HRT.  My dad has oily skin, so he gave me the good skin genes.

I've been battling bizarre hormonal issues, and the most noticeable one was losing about a third of my overall hair volume. It is slowly growing back, but that was some scary stuff. I want my bob back.

At this stage in my life, I am interested in learning what looks good now. I finally realized I can't get away with the same look I had in my 20s. I want to look refined and vibrant and still have a little fun without looking like I am trying too hard.

I am so excited about this forum! I can't wait to get to know you all and share ideas and learn some tips from like-minded, similarly-aged women.