News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Current knitting projects  (Read 728 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Current knitting projects
« on: June 06, 2014, 06:37:37 AM »
Knitting is my way of restoring my sanity and meditating. A day without knitting is a disaster (usually).

I've become fascinated with complex lace shawls and have a couple of projects that I want to tackle as soon as my life is a little calmer. Meanwhile I've been working on simpler, easy shawls, towels and face cloths, dish cloths (I never knew that knitted cotton dish cloths are excellent workhorses!), and scarves of all kinds.

I'm good at finishing a project all the way, including weaving in ends, but always fall short at blocking so I don't have any good pictures to show. Perhaps today would be a good day to do some blocking. I have the mats and pins with wires on the way so I have no excuse.

I also have 29 skeins of nonreturnable Christmas red DK weight yarn for which I need to find a purpose. Originally I was going to knit 4 capelets and 6 scarves for my DS' wedding party for pictures to be taken outside. With wedding colors of black, gray, and white and since there's no guarantee of snow in December, my DS' GF thought the red would add a nice pop of color and I agreed. However, with the wedding now very much in doubt, I'm not tackling that whole project since I don't foresee the capelets being of use otherwise. I'm kind of thinking that if I start with 6 scarves and the wedding somehow stays on, then all I'd have left would be the capelets to knit. If the wedding is indefinitely postponed or cancelled then I can just make more scarves and mitts and either donate the whole lot or leave them around the city with a note saying to take them if they are needed.

What about other knitters and crocheters? Are your needles and hooks hard at work?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Current knitting projects
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »
 I am knitting a receiving blanket. It started as a lacy blanket but the pattern was quite difficult to follow and there are too many stitches. I kept making mistakes and, in the end, I decided to turn it into an easier blanket with a lacy edging. Can't wait to finish this because I want to do something else.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
The last time I picked up my needles was over Christmas - haven't been back to them since. I love knitting though but I have so many other things I'm interested in that I don't always get to it. I have to be relaxed enough to even do it too and usually I'm not chilled-out enough. But I used to do it a lot, in the decades when it was still uncool to knit.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
It's been a while since I picked up my knitting needles, as well. Something or another finds my attention and divert to a different project.  I do enjoy knitting. It relaxes me and I'm not sure why I don't do it more often. *sigh*

I do enjoy hearing about projects that you ladies are working on, though.  :)  One of these days, it will inspire me to pick up the needles again.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:49 AM »
How's the blanket, milla? I presume it's for Rowan but with his early arrival perhaps it's not quite finished?

I'm a very active member on ravelry.com - the most amazing site for people who knit or crochet. I have yet to come across a pattern elsewhere that isn't referenced in their searchable database. And the yarn reviews are excellent.

One of the groups I belong to has a forum topic labeled "Squirrel!" Squirrels in this context are new patterns and/or yarns that grab our attention away from what we are currently working on. As a result, a number of members have many works in process waiting to be completed. I fight the urge mightily so I only have about 3 projects going at once. I generally have at least 2 at a time intentionally - one larger, more time-consuming project and one that goes fairly quickly so I can get some immediate gratification when I need it.

Right now I'm working on a diagonal lace wrap in navy linen. I also have a hand towel in green cotton on needles and a shawl in the most luxurious yarn from Madelinetosh in a light brown shade with a beaded lace edge. The shawl is hibernating for the summer though - it's merino wool and a bit heavy for working this time of year. I expect it will take me a couple of weeks to finish it in the fall since all I have left is the lace edge.

I completely understand how knitting can be put on the back burner for other pursuits. It's a very time-consuming pursuit and there are lots of other ways to spend that time. Even I am about to be side-tracked by a bargello (a form of needlepoint) project. I found the most charming kits and, among others, they had themes of Beach and Sand. Since we live on a lake I couldn't pass those kits up!

So, happy summer to everyone, doing whatever it is that you do! :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
I thought I would be able to finish the blanket on time for his arrival (he was not due until 22nd June and first babies are always late aren't they?). But it is nearly finished!