News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Are there any hair stying challenges you are dealing with right now?  (Read 3548 times)

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
I had my hair cut beginning of April so it's been about 8 weeks.  I feel that I already need a haircut again so scheduled one for Friday.  My issues are with my hair holding up after I've styled it with a Calista Tools curling iron brush.    Even hairspray does not keep it from going flat. :-[  I don't use conditioner either because it's too heavy for my hair.  So I'm hoping that the haircut will help.  Even tried using the Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo which has worked in the past and that didn't seem to do anything either.  LOL!    Anyone with similar issues?
  • Complexion: Normal
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Are there any hair stying challenges you are dealing with right now?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »
Not really - since I have mixed-texture, very heavy, color-treated hair and a lot of it, I need conditioners up the wazoo LOL. I've never had oily hair a day in my life. I just use cheap gel as my styler, just scrunching it in and it works fine.  I never use heat of any sort on my hair - haven't done so for decades. You might be overdue for a haircut - a big sign of that is when hair absolutely refuses to behave one bit with one's usual routine for styling.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
Not since this past Thursday. :)

I had my shoulder length hair cut to chin length and then had it permed. I have natural curl in the back and underside but the top and front just couldn't hold their wave, no matter the length of my hair. Since I'm all thumbs with hair appliances, I just had a perm to even the curl all over my hair and I couldn't be happier. I have had perms in the past and loved them so I'm not sure why I didn't go this route a lot sooner this time around. Especially since perm strategies have changed since my last one in the 80s or 90s. My curl looks much more natural, even before it relaxes. I'm looking forward to how it looks in a couple of weeks. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
Not since this past Thursday. :)

I had my shoulder length hair cut to chin length and then had it permed. I have natural curl in the back and underside but the top and front just couldn't hold their wave, no matter the length of my hair. Since I'm all thumbs with hair appliances, I just had a perm to even the curl all over my hair and I couldn't be happier. I have had perms in the past and loved them so I'm not sure why I didn't go this route a lot sooner this time around. Especially since perm strategies have changed since my last one in the 80s or 90s. My curl looks much more natural, even before it relaxes. I'm looking forward to how it looks in a couple of weeks. :)

And we're looking forward to seeing photos, Styyna!  :combhair: :blowdryer:
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
I´d like to be able to put my hair up but I cannot. I can only do a ponytail. When my hair was all one length I used to make French braids, too. Now I have absolutely no idea.

My hair is fine, layered, shoulder-length, and fairly thin.

Also, my hairdresser is on sick leave & holiday and cancelled my appointment for today, and my next appointment will be in the beginning of August. I usually go every 6 - 7 weeks or so. So, fairly desperate to find ways to live with my hair, especially as in two weeks my summer holiday will be over and I´ll return to work! Need to look neat, I would not mind looking polished, even! Any tips, considering my not-so-good hair type?
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »
I wish I had great advice for you, Anne, but I am at a total loss about how to work with hair, hence my perm.

Hopefully some of our members will have just the right ideas for you to help you get through until August!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »
Much like Styyna, my hair met with a pair of scissors about three weeks ago. I went from hair down to my waist to shoulder.  When I have the long hair, I googled easy hair style for long hair. You'll be surprised how many YT are doing just hair. I even found one for a mom that does her daughter's hair and some were a bit girly but some were quite nice and easy to do.

Good luck, Anne!

A product that I love is the Caviar CC cream. LOVE IT! Hot and Flashy started it all for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu2CVAaj5o

Been using the Altera Caviar since and I will always have two backups. I purchase mine from QVC. I't s a bit expensive but Hot and Flashy is right.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
Thanks for turning me onto Hot and Flashy!  I subscribed to her channel.  I don't know what the Alterna Caviar CC will do for my curly hair, but I want to try it eventually!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 11:07:05 PM »
@Styyna: I did that a few times back in the 70s and 80s but since I have color in my hair(since the later '80s), I can't do the perm thing to tighten up those looser layers. I have mixed-texture hair too. But since I have mine in an inverted bob for a good while now, the mixed texture works, and I still do my cheap gel, LA Looks Sports Gel that I've been using for a few years now. Before that, it was their turquoise Curl Look gel which sadly got discontinued so I moved up in strength to the Sport version(stronger hold). Just bought another bottle of it today at Bed Bath and Beyond for all of $2.59 in fact.:) I can't use expensive products, no matter how tempting, because with my hair density, I'd go through a $20-tube of styling product in 2 weeks, no kidding, since the standard nickel-sized blob that's usually advised to apply, just addresses one SECTION of my hair, even at this length. It takes tablespoons of conditioner too. Drugstore and Sally Beauty Supply all the way for me!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
Alas, my perm isn't holding well this time around. The hair that resists natural wave is resisting the perm as well. Which means that I have a really mixed bag on top of my head. Fortunately the worst part is right smack in front where I have a shot at doing something with a curling iron to remedy it. If it were on the back of my head I'd just have to resign myself to it since I can't do a thing with appliances on the back of my head.

I have a question for you, cara4art. How do you dry your hair? Do you use a microfiber towel? I've read that terrycloth towels cause frizz so I've avoided them this time and used a microfiber towel I received as a gift with purchase some years ago. I'm tempted to throw caution to the winds, though, and just ruffle up my permed hair with a terrycloth towel like I used to and see if I get frizz after all. I never used to but perhaps my hair texture is different now.

I tried plopping, too, without any noticeable improvement. I let my hair air dry like I always did in the past so no heat, except I'll start using a curling iron on the front strand after it's dry as of today. That strand, BTW, became strange after surgery left a scar just inside my hairline. All the hair in front of the scar is curl resistant and a slightly different shade from the rest of my hair. So I'm not surprised that it's a pain in the a$$.

A few last bits of info - I'm using a shampoo designed for perms with matching conditioner. L'Oreal perhaps? Cheap and sulfate-free and my hair feels soft and manageable after using them. I tried just washing with conditioner but that really dragged the curls down. Also, I only shampoo once every 5-7 days.

Any thoughts?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »
@styyna: Here's what I do, like many people with mixed texture hair - I first remove excess water from my hair with wringing sections out and a light wrap in a terry towel, but no rubbing, until I get to my bathroom(I always wash my hair in the kitchen sink, since I take virtually all my showers after my workout at the gym). Then, I apply my gel, head-down, scrunching from the nape of the neck up to the front, working it through my hair. Then I use a microfiber towel, using that to scrunch. This removes a lot of water, and excess product. Those of us with mixed-texture often really do benefit from styling products and scrunching - otherwise we often have a poofy, undefined mess!  I don't plop either - I think that really only works for long hair.
About the shampoo vs. conditioner-washing and all, I did the co-wash, curly-girl thing for 4 years and was OK with it, until my hair didn't seem to respond so well. So I've gone back and forth between using sulfate-free shampoos, and back and forth between silicone and non-silicone conditioners. No matter what though, I do do deep moisturizing treatments, and protein treatments too, since I color. Do you color? If so, you do need both. Actually, even WITHOUT coloring, with hair that is greying, or all white, one needs extra care because the hair at this stage is often dryer, and sometimes in need of protein. There's always that fine balance between just how much of each. I know what you mean about the co-washing weighing one's hair down after awhile, or even sooner, depending on what kind of waves and curls one has. I think co-washing works best for people who really do have a tighter curl pattern which is often accompanied by the hair being even drier by nature. I think since you only shampoo every 5 days or so(much like me) you're good. Basically it takes a little experimenting. As for myself, I never use heat on my hair, ever. I think this is why, as my hair cutter says, that my hair is in pretty good shape even with coloring. He says I'm "nice to my hair" meaning that I don't do lots to it, and that I condition lots!:)
As far as the gel, the LA Looks ones are available at any drugstore or Walmart - whatever is on your shopping route when you do get into town, as I know you live way out rurally. Best of luck!:) If I think of anything else I'll pipe up again!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:00:43 PM »
Thanks, cara4art! I'll take some of your ideas to heart and see what happens!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 04:23:35 PM »
@Styyna: Glad to be of help!:) Today, I did do a co-wash, as I haven't done that in awhile, followed by a rich conditioner and my hair feels great! I had colored a few days ago and had clarified my hair just prior so I would be starting from scratch. The clarifying shampoo that I use(just once a month, before clarifying) is Suave Everyday Clarifying which is technically for oily hair regular use, but a decent cheap clarifier for the rest of us. Just use a deep moisturizing conditioner afterward, as clarifiers do leave the hair drier as a result of getting any build-up out of the hair.
Sometimes it's good to change things up. In my last message here I had said that the co-wash thing with shampooing sometimes wasn't working that well with my hair, but I've re-thought that one - I'm back to doing that. When I do co-wash, I use the ultra-cheap but good Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner - one can get a big bottle for just $2. There are all kinds of expensive "cleansing conditioners" out there like Wen, which some people swear by, but too pricey for me. I think at Sally Beauty Supply there's a line of Wen knock-offs, plus the As I AM cleansing conditioner is supposed to be quite good. That's only about $7-8 for a big jar of it - still reasonable!:) I might try that one myself - that's pretty popular over on the Naturally Curly website. There's a very active discussion forum over there too that I check in with from time to time.:)Another product that I use for my shampoo is a sulfate-free one by Renpure Originals, the Argan Oil one in the turquoise bottle. Some Walgreens have this, also the health and beauty department at certain Bed Bath & Beyond stores.
Again, I hope that any of this helps!:)

easternhair

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 06:01:08 AM »
you can buy clip in or flip in hair extension (looking for only 100% natural remy hair) and then make curls like you want :)
the best for hair extension is russian hair (the hair is glossy and soft)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 12:13:37 AM »
My hair won´t take a curl any more when I style it with my air curler. Same curler, same styling staff. Hair looks fairly straight and frizzy and / or the curl flops even though I use hairspray, too.

Could anyone recommend good styling stuff that won´t make my hair oily and that would make my hair take a big, bouncy, lasting curls please?

Why wake up 15 mins earlier in the Morning if the result is depressing, I really don´t know!
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »
Anne, since the hair that's already on our heads doesn't suddenly change once it's there except through the use of heat and products, the only thing I can think is that perhaps you have product build up on your hair. You could try an apple cider vinegar rinse to see if that helps. Here's a site that has some sensible information about that:

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/shampoo-hair/make-your-own-natural-vinegar-hair-rinse

Or you could try a clarifying shampoo instead but ACV is inexpensive and effective.

I've used ACV rinses in the past and been very pleased with the results. My hair is very short right now and I just let it air dry with little to no product so I haven't used ACV rinses in a while. But when it was longer and I used heat protectant and other products I found that ACV would perk it right up.

Hope this helps. :)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 12:11:28 AM »
Styyna, what a great idea! Actually I have an appointment with my hairdresser next Wednesday, I´ll ask her to use a clarifying shampoo as I do not own it myself (neither vinegar at the moment). That could solve the problem!  :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
I agree with Styyna about clarifying - it makes a HUGE difference, especially if one is using ANY styling products, or using conditioners with silicones for that matter. Silicones, while beneficial to some people and not to others, do build up in the hair after a little while too. Do you have any drugstore clarifying shampoos in Finland? If so, go get one as they're usually not expensive. I've tried ACV rinses in the past, but was not particularly impressed really. There are people who say baking soda added to one's shampoo does the job - I tried that just ONCE and it was a big mistake, even with adding just a little, and conditioning my hair really well afterward - it was far too harsh and drying. There's no need to spend a lot on a clarifying shampoo - a cheap one does the job just fine. I use Suave Daily Clarifying, and I see that Pantene has a new one called Detoxifying something or other that is clear. Don't confuse it with either the Ice Shine line or volumizing line which also have clear shampoos. I usually do my clarifying once or twice a month, one of those times usually before I color, and MAYBE one other time depending on how my hair is. But I don't wash my hair daily - only every few days. You'll find if you do the clarifying, followed by a protein treatment, and then a deep moisturizing conditioner, you curls should spring back to life and that gunky feeling will be gone. ALL of this goes double about clarifying if you have hard water in your area. Even without using any styling products, one still gets build-up of minerals which also dull and make one's hair feeling dry, but coated and gunky at the same time. Hope all this helps!:)

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
I don't know if you have access to Neutrogena, Anne, but their Anti-Residue Shampoo is effective and not very expensive.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusanJenkinson

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
Styyna, what a great idea! Actually I have an appointment with my hairdresser next Wednesday, I´ll ask her to use a clarifying shampoo as I do not own it myself (neither vinegar at the moment). That could solve the problem!  :)

Hi,

I'm wondering about the results. Could you please share? :)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 04:23:34 AM »
My hair was extremely floppy after the clarifying shampoo. It just lied down! It looked like my natural curl was gone, too. So, no instant. same-day results. Not sure if my hair behaves better now though.

I think a clarifying shampoo every now and then is a good idea in any case as I use hair styling gel and hair spray.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
@anne: you have to use deep treatments after clarifying. First a protein treatment, followed by a deep moisturizing one. Your curls will come back to life, seriously!:) Clarifying shampoos are drying and do take all the gunk out of the hair, so that conditioning IS necessary.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »
Anne, I sympathize & don't know if this will help, but here's my 2 cents:

I travel a lot and find that my hair's bounceability, shine, curl level, greasiness vs. healthy degree of moisture are greatly influenced by the kind of water in the pipes of wherever I am.  In certain parts of the world water is very hard, in others its soft ... my hair responds.  I am always having to change shampoo or my shampooing schedule to keep the hair decent.  So I'm just wondering if there's been a change to your water supply recently?

Sorry, no tricks from me on products but I hope you find something that works,

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
@gilberte: I agree 100% about water quality as well. Very hard water does a number on hair, and one has to clarify much more often, along with the post-clarifying treatments. I also found that co-washing and no-sulfate shampoos didn't work too well with hard water either. But I know everyone's hair is different!:) Mine is all over the place as far as different textures - the classic 2c-3a that will throw hissy-fits unless doing exactly the right things sometimes.