News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Are there any hair stying challenges you are dealing with right now?  (Read 3712 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Are there any hair stying challenges you are dealing with right now?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »
Anne, since the hair that's already on our heads doesn't suddenly change once it's there except through the use of heat and products, the only thing I can think is that perhaps you have product build up on your hair. You could try an apple cider vinegar rinse to see if that helps. Here's a site that has some sensible information about that:

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/shampoo-hair/make-your-own-natural-vinegar-hair-rinse

Or you could try a clarifying shampoo instead but ACV is inexpensive and effective.

I've used ACV rinses in the past and been very pleased with the results. My hair is very short right now and I just let it air dry with little to no product so I haven't used ACV rinses in a while. But when it was longer and I used heat protectant and other products I found that ACV would perk it right up.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 12:11:28 AM »
Styyna, what a great idea! Actually I have an appointment with my hairdresser next Wednesday, I´ll ask her to use a clarifying shampoo as I do not own it myself (neither vinegar at the moment). That could solve the problem!  :)
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
I agree with Styyna about clarifying - it makes a HUGE difference, especially if one is using ANY styling products, or using conditioners with silicones for that matter. Silicones, while beneficial to some people and not to others, do build up in the hair after a little while too. Do you have any drugstore clarifying shampoos in Finland? If so, go get one as they're usually not expensive. I've tried ACV rinses in the past, but was not particularly impressed really. There are people who say baking soda added to one's shampoo does the job - I tried that just ONCE and it was a big mistake, even with adding just a little, and conditioning my hair really well afterward - it was far too harsh and drying. There's no need to spend a lot on a clarifying shampoo - a cheap one does the job just fine. I use Suave Daily Clarifying, and I see that Pantene has a new one called Detoxifying something or other that is clear. Don't confuse it with either the Ice Shine line or volumizing line which also have clear shampoos. I usually do my clarifying once or twice a month, one of those times usually before I color, and MAYBE one other time depending on how my hair is. But I don't wash my hair daily - only every few days. You'll find if you do the clarifying, followed by a protein treatment, and then a deep moisturizing conditioner, you curls should spring back to life and that gunky feeling will be gone. ALL of this goes double about clarifying if you have hard water in your area. Even without using any styling products, one still gets build-up of minerals which also dull and make one's hair feeling dry, but coated and gunky at the same time. Hope all this helps!:)

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
I don't know if you have access to Neutrogena, Anne, but their Anti-Residue Shampoo is effective and not very expensive.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusanJenkinson

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
Styyna, what a great idea! Actually I have an appointment with my hairdresser next Wednesday, I´ll ask her to use a clarifying shampoo as I do not own it myself (neither vinegar at the moment). That could solve the problem!  :)

Hi,

I'm wondering about the results. Could you please share? :)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 04:23:34 AM »
My hair was extremely floppy after the clarifying shampoo. It just lied down! It looked like my natural curl was gone, too. So, no instant. same-day results. Not sure if my hair behaves better now though.

I think a clarifying shampoo every now and then is a good idea in any case as I use hair styling gel and hair spray.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
@anne: you have to use deep treatments after clarifying. First a protein treatment, followed by a deep moisturizing one. Your curls will come back to life, seriously!:) Clarifying shampoos are drying and do take all the gunk out of the hair, so that conditioning IS necessary.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 11:56:46 AM »
Anne, I sympathize & don't know if this will help, but here's my 2 cents:

I travel a lot and find that my hair's bounceability, shine, curl level, greasiness vs. healthy degree of moisture are greatly influenced by the kind of water in the pipes of wherever I am.  In certain parts of the world water is very hard, in others its soft ... my hair responds.  I am always having to change shampoo or my shampooing schedule to keep the hair decent.  So I'm just wondering if there's been a change to your water supply recently?

Sorry, no tricks from me on products but I hope you find something that works,

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
@gilberte: I agree 100% about water quality as well. Very hard water does a number on hair, and one has to clarify much more often, along with the post-clarifying treatments. I also found that co-washing and no-sulfate shampoos didn't work too well with hard water either. But I know everyone's hair is different!:) Mine is all over the place as far as different textures - the classic 2c-3a that will throw hissy-fits unless doing exactly the right things sometimes.