News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My first Zumba class  (Read 1981 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
My first Zumba class
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
Having said that I would never join a Zumba class, I went to my first one today and I loved it! It is in a hall in our local library (away from the reading/study area, of course).Very well attended and the average age of the participants is probably 50 something, although I saw some young faces too. A very good mix.The teacher is great, very down to earth, not at all like those 80s goddesses in Lycra. It was a riot! It somehow reminded me of one of these typical British movies, Calender Girls, The Full Monty, Billy Elliot...not sure why, perhaps the people, their sense of humour, the slightly shabby hall...
Of course I got the steps all wrong (well, perhaps not all) but I made up with my stamina and enthusiasm. The session ended with people dancing the merengue with each other. There were a couple of chaps there, but mainly ladies and one of the chaps is definitely one of the girls ;) He appointed himself my personal guide as I am a novice, and we had such a laugh! I'm going back next week, Watch this space...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: My first Zumba class
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »
So glad you found a class you like! I think it really depends on the teacher, and the energy of the other folks in the class! You're on your way!:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
Oh, how fun for you, milla!!   :dancing2:  It doesn't matter if you have the steps wrong as long as you are having fun!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 03:03:37 AM »
Well, you know me, I'm nothing if not a perfectionist, therefore I am going to practise at home until I get it right :grin:

denverly

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:24:18 AM »
I'm happy for you and hopefully you'll enjoy it more and more because you will surely have health benefits from it. The class you were seems to be really friendly and filled with approachable members. We will be glad to hear new stories about your experiences over your zumba class.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
That's wonderful, Milla. Sounds like the perfect first-time Zumba class! I've never been to one, but would love to try. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »
Give it a go. I was not expecting to like it but I did enjoy it and it is very energetic. Fortunately for me, this class it is not very expensive either, which helps, as I am already paying for a yoga class once a week. Yoga is completely different of course, but I find there is room in my life to try different types of exercise. Yoga and Zumba  are both very relaxing, in different ways.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »
Cheers for going to Zumba! I haven't been to one yet because I think I still need more cardio work before I can keep up the pace. The local gym offers both Zumba and yoga (no membership required) and the Zumba is very inexpensive, half the cost of the yoga classes. However, I see a place for both in my regimen eventually.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Pankitty

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 05:57:04 PM »
I've been looking at the Zumba class when I'm at the gym wondering if I would like it or not. I used to love to dance (I took dance class until my early 30s) and I enjoy yoga.

Has anyone who has started Zumba stuck with it over the long haul? Do you still like it?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »
I don’t go to Zumba any more. I had a very good instructor when I started, but she left and the lady who replaced her was just not my style at all. I am sure that the problem was with me, not with her, because lots of other people liked it. I just came to the conclusion that my kind of exercise is not Zumba, but yoga . Luckily my yoga teacher is excellent. The only problem now is booking the classes, if I  don’t do it quickly there are no spaces left, she is so popular!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
I'm so glad to hear that you are happy with yoga, Milla. Have you started back to going to your yoga classes? I seem to recall you were hoping to return a week or two ago but time slips by so perhaps it was longer.

My gym just started offering a weekly yoga class at no additional charge. A while back I tried the class and I liked the instructor. I felt a little lost in the class though, not knowing anyone else there. Now my gym buddy and I are going to try the yoga classes starting next Wednesday. Wish us luck!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

angela001

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 06:07:01 AM »
Hi women! I am going to zumba classes for 3 years! I am very happy with it, and I feel so much lighter, perkier.. Probably you know what feeling I'm talking about! :) It is so good to keep up the pace.

MichelleO

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »
I tried one Zumba class, unfortunately I felt quite out of place as I'm not exactly known for my co-ordination skills. Everyone in the class seemed to have the moves down extremely well, perhaps if I went to a beginners only class I would feel more confident?

I do really like the idea of dancing to keep fit, anything to keep things fun!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 08:58:27 AM »
@MIchelleO: Unfortunately, it sees that most of the Zumba classes are like that - one is expected to follow along. There's NO instruction on how to properly move, nothing about alignment, etc. I tried just ONE Zumba class at my gym and decided it totally wasn't for me because of that. I've even watched subsequent classes there, same thing, so it wasn't an isolated thing. Mind you, I'm used to moving and I do like dance, but not this. Honestly, the only good thing about the class was the music.