News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: How important is wearing perfume to you?  (Read 4689 times)

denverly

• Bronze Member
How important is wearing perfume to you?
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
I love wearing perfume because it makes me feel more confident in talking closer to other people. There are times that I don't wear perfume but I still feel more comfortable if I have it. I know that I don't smell bad without it but it seems that my favorite perfumes just simply satisfy my senses. How about you?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: How important is wearing perfume to you?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:26:56 AM »
I love wearing fragrance but I tend to only wear it at selected times. I've been out and about and encountered people (men and women) with too much fragrance on and find it very offensive. I should note that not everyone wearing fragrance overdoes it so I'm not casting stones here! I've been known to catch a whiff of something I really liked and asked the wearer what she had on.

I'm not sure whether the amount that I enjoy wearing would be offensive to others or not so I really apply it with a light hand if I'm going to be away from home, especially in warm weather.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
In warm weather I love a fresh cologne-type of perfume; in cold weather I find heavier, woody scents very comforting. Whatever the fragrance, it has got to be something that 'melts' into my skin, if you know what I mean. It makes me feel uncomfortable if I can actually smell the scent that I am wearing (it means I put too much on). Sometimes I just cannot wear perfume, but I love a fragranced bath or shower gel. My favourite at the moment is a really cheap, supermarket one, that smells of ginger and mandarine.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »
As someone who VERY easily gets headaches from the wrong sort of scent, I only wear it rarely, like once or twice a year. That said, I do like warm spicy fragrances that are well-formulated - just about all the others smell like bug spray to me, or sickeningly-sweet. But I'm really sensitive anyway and this is just me. In my opinion, one should only be able to detect a perfume/scent when one is really close to someone, not from 20 feet away LOL!

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »
I enjoy wearing fragrance.  I usually have one main bottle opened, and then on weekends or casual days at work I use up one of the many samples that I have.  That's usually how I figure out what my next big bottle of fragrance will be.  If I like a scent, I don't care what season or time of day it is, but I usually don't wear heavy or strong scents so I can get away with doing that. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

Dee

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »

Not very. Not anymore. As I just posted, I prefer the "just bathed" scent (though it wears off quickly!).

All of my long time favorites have been "re-invented" (why must they do that?) so I've abandoned them.

Dee

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »
It's rare that I wear perfume and if I do, I usually opt for EDToilette since they are not as strong.  I'm into more flowery scent, too.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
I love wearing perfume!  I have my little table with my favorites in my living room near my door so I can remember to spritz on the way out.  Sometimes I forget! :rollseyes:

There is just something so beautiful about choosing and wearing a fragrance that makes you feel complete!
  • Complexion: Normal
  • Hair: Dark Brown

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 11:17:20 AM »
I love wearing perfume!

There is just something so beautiful about choosing and wearing a fragrance that makes you feel complete!

I totally agree!!
MJ :-)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 10:41:27 AM »
I love perfume but at the moment I can't find anything to wear. Not even Mitsouko. Rien du tout. Nada. And I miss wearing scent :(

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
I usually have one main bottle opened, ...
:wornout: Sorry, but this does not compute for me! Once I discovered TJ Maxx my collection sort of blossomed.

Scent is important to me - I wear it for myself even when I am at home and alone. Different scents for different weather or occasions. I remain aware of the potential to offend, so I am careful to apply in moderation.

Those of you who prefer that fresh, clean scent might enjoy fragrance oils. You can try small roller balls at very low price points. They wear close to the skin and are lots of fun for experimenting. Whole Foods and Amazon are both good sources.
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Dee

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 04:30:22 PM »
I love wearing perfume!  I have my little table with my favorites in my living room near my door so I can remember to spritz on the way out.  Sometimes I forget! :rollseyes:

I love that idea -- to keep them close to the door and spritz before leaving the house!  :)

newdawn

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 07:20:10 AM »
Ah, I have very sensitive skin so perfume is a no-no on me, sadly.  :cry: But i love the smell of citrus and mint... anything light and fresh smelling.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »

I adore perfume. Due to allergies and polyps, I don't often have a sense of smell, though, so on rare occasions where I can smell,
it is AWESOME!~

My husband has a clear favorite, and I would say I wear that 95% of the time. It's called Il Basio (the kiss). It's a man pleaser!
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »
I love perfume. At the moment my favourite is Feminité du Bois by Serge Lutens.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »
I just pulled out my Dolce & Gabbana The One for spring and summer. I still like it but not as much as I did originally so I'm on the hunt for a new scent.

I like scent in the warm seasons more than the cold ones. There's something about a waft of scent in a warm summer breeze that I really like. But I don't like strong scent. I walked into an elevator recently and just about choked on the fragrance left behind by someone who had already left. I much prefer to be the only one who knows that I'm wearing a fragrance.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »
I agree! but I do like scent in the winter; I love the faint smell of perfume on a cashmere  scarf  or sweater.

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »
I also wear scent everyday, even when home alone. Some favorites: Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker,Falling inLove and Amazing Grace,both by Philosophy and Tova Nights by Tova. I recently tried a sample of Candy Florale by Prada;I'm waiting on a bottle I ordered from Ebay. I also want to test the new one by Gucci called Bamboo.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
I stopped wearing perfume when I started taking public transportation and that was 18 years ago. Now that I drive to work, it was just never a part of my morning routine so I don't think twice about. My co-workers wear enough that I'm sure at the end of the day, I have many wonderful scent attached to me.  :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 01:51:09 AM »
I love to wear perfume. For me it has become an obsession . Some women collect shoes and watches, I - perfumes. I have over 50 species even yesterday I bought new . :evil:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 02:43:46 AM »
Jenn, if you don't know this blog
http://boisdejasmin.com/
...you will love it. One of the best written blogs on the net and the best on scent, imo. Do you have a favourite scent?

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:51 AM »
Oh thank you! I didn`t know this blog. I will have interesting reading today. I have quite a variety of perfumes, but at this moment my favoite scent is indian jasmine. This parfume is a gift from my husband and I love it!   :grin:
What`s your favorite scent?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »
For me, the scent that always drew compliments was the original ‘Rive Gauche’; sadly  the modern version is nothing like the 80s  version. I like ‘Mitsouko’  but I have to be in the right mood. My husband bought me Serge Lutens’ ‘Feminite du Bois’ last Christmas and I am rationing it because it was so expensive. I am not keen on wearing scent when the weather is hot and humid.
What are your favourites, Jenn?

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 01:59:49 AM »
My favorite is paco rabane ultraviolet. I never get tired of it. The one who gave me my husband is the new fragranci of Jàdore. I had the old one, but this is my new love  :grin:

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
I do not wear perfume to work. Also, not anywhere I think I might be anxious or generally unhappy. Smelling the same scent later would bring it all back to me. Am I weird or what? The memory comes back in full force, I almost re-live the life situration I was in when wearing that scent. So, I only tend to apply some when I am relaxing and having fun. Ok this sounds really odd. BTW I suddenly got a lemming for Nahema (again).
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.