News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: How to cure dead nails?  (Read 1243 times)

denverly

• Bronze Member
How to cure dead nails?
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
There are people who have problems with dead nails especially with their foots and I wonder what are the cure for such nail issue. How can we prevent it and what are the causes? I will appreciate any insights that you share about it.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: How to cure dead nails?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
I just noticed the other day that my DH has what appears to be a "dead" nail on one of his feet. I think he has a fungal infection and I'm going to suggest that he have the doctor check it out at his next checkup. He has a bad habit of never wearing socks in his sneakers. Actually, he doesn't take good care of his feet at all.

He has his everyday sneakers that are just horrible but he loves them because they are comfortable. But they've been in the lake, mowed the lawn, you name it. Then he has a pair of "good" sneakers that are now for the gym only and I'm trying to persuade him he needs another "good" pair for wearing when we go away from our home. Next up - convincing him to wear socks all the time with his shoes!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

denverly

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
Oh, maybe uncomfortable shoes can contribute in the occurrence of dead nails. We really should make sure that we give comfort to our foot always and take care of our nails with the right chemicals. Dead nails are very unsightly and can bring sort of embarrassment to us.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »
Toenails are already dead, so it is not quite right to say they have become that way. I think that a fungal infection is most likely the cause of this dead appearance. Your doctor can tell you if this is the case. Treatments are available in the form of topical creams or oral medicine.

If you prefer something of a home cure, try some Vicks VapoRub! I have heard of this method for years and years. It may take a long time to work, but so do the other cures. Also, keep feet dry, wear clean socks daily (white ones can be bleached), and expose feet to open air when possible (sandals, flip flops).
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Dee

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
There are people who have problems with dead nails especially with their foots and I wonder what are the cure for such nail issue. How can we prevent it and what are the causes? I will appreciate any insights that you share about it.

I agree with what Makinalist said below -- the cause is likely fungal in nature. Try applying a good quality 100% Tea Tree Oil twice daily on a regular basis. It can't hurt and I've heard that it does help!

JessicaPjames

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:26:52 AM »
I think you prefer to take manicure once or twice a month so that you hand get proper treatment.
and remove cure dead nails.

• Complexion: fair
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Light brown