News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Is there any HELP for my awful hair?!  (Read 5213 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Is there any HELP for my awful hair?!
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:25:55 AM »
There are so many hair products out on the shelves, I feel that maybe I'm missing one that might help?
I feel so silly, but the state of my hair is really bringing me down.  It's always, all my life, been fine & straight, but now it's fine & thinning - I guess due to age, since blood work is ok. 

Not only that, but it's frizzy & see-through.   This is not a sudden change.  It's all been very gradual.  I get regular trims & keep it about shoulder-length.  I also get it colored, & it always looks nice after I leave the salon.

For about the last 6 months, I've been using the Loreal Advanced line of shampoo & conditioner, which is a step-up from the Suave I'd been shampooing with previously.I have to be careful with products because my hair is already very soft.   I wash it almost every day, because if I don't, it's even more limp. 
I also always use some kind of volumizer & usually a heat protectant. 
I'd love to have more shine, & to maybe flatten down those frizzies.  I really envy those of you with thick, heavy hair.
ANY advice much appreciated.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:02:16 AM by ILuvLucy »
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Is there any HELP for my awful hair?!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
@ILuvLucy: which of the L'Oreal Advanced Haircare shampoos and conditioners are you using? It sounds like the Volume Filler line within that might be good for you:

http://www.lorealparisusa.com/en/Brands/Hair-Care-Styling/Advanced-Haircare/Volume-Filler.aspx

Check out the treatment on the far right. Hope this helps!:) Otherwise, you might be looking at something like Nioxin, which is also targeted toward people with fine thinning hair. Hope this helps!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
I know it is difficult to do this if you are used to washing your hair everyday and using volumiser, but in my humble opinion you need to try and wash it a maximum of 2x per week and leave the volumiser in the bathroom shelf. Instead of spending money in more products, how about investing  in a good brush with natural bristles and brushing  it regularly to distribute the oils? you could also massage your scalp regularly. If you feel you need it, may be you could take a multivitamin supplement?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:04:42 PM »
Yes, washing daily(unless one truly has greasy hair)is counter-productive for most people as it dries out the hair, and if there are any problems, it tends to make them worse. No harm in using good body-building products if one just washes twice a week or less. Not everyone can go product-less.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
Thank you Cara and Milla for replying.
Cara, I am currently using the Total Repair of the Loreal Advanced line.  BUT, I have the Volume Filler.  I recently purchased it and am almost finished with the Total Repair, and will move on to the Volume Filler.  I'm excited to try it.  Then maybe look at the other items in the Volume Filler area.  I haven't gone the Nizoral route yet, though I've thought about it.

Milla, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and give me your thoughts.  Perhaps I'm not describing my hair very well, I know I'm bad at this sort of thing.  It is limp, limp, limp, and probably oily enough that's for sure.  If I wash my hair and blow dry it, using NO products, it hangs very limp (no body whatsoever).  Picture baby fine hair but on an old lady!   :eek:    If I wash my hair and let it air dry, it's even worse.  If I do not wash it at all,  I won't go out in public without a cap on, it looks that awful.  But, believe me, I wish I could just do that every day - shove it up in a cap.   I hate spending time on my hair because I feel "why bother - nothing seems to make it look nice".   If I were to put it up in a ponytail, it would be less than 1/2" thick.

I'm so curious....Do other people with this type of hair really only wash once or twice a week?  I would love to find out their secret because focusing on my hair with less than desirable results is not fun! 

I"m sorry to be such a complainer.  I should be lucky I even have hair, right?     
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »
@ILuvLucy: Oh OK, about what you describe with the oiliness in your hair! In this case, washing more frequently than once or twice a week would definitely be better. Not having that sort of oiliness myself(never had oily hair a day in my life, even as a teen)I wouldn't know from experience though. Actually, volumizing shampoos, conditioners and intense treatments are excellent for oily hair in many cases, as they're not as moisturizing. The last thing you need is a heavy moisturizing agent that would just weigh down your already fine, more oily hair even more. Best of luck with the Volume Filler line of the L'Oreal Advanced Haircare stuff!:)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
Thanks, Cara!
I envy your curls, & Milla's hair as well  :combhair:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »
I have seen photos of Cara and she has, indeed, beautiful hair.My hair is grey (well, salt and pepper) and not particularly thick nor thin, nor oily nor dry; nothing special!
 I am not sure what to say. I can see that you are really annoyed with your hair and I still think that over washing is not the solution. Hair condition is often linked with health; I would seek  my doctor's advice, to rule out any health issues.
If you want to coach  some volume into your hair, what about rollers? I am not talking about heated ones, just large foam rollers (if you hair is long). Another thing you could try is a  change of style. Talk to your hairdresser and look for a style that emphasises volume, perhaps with layers?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »
What might be "over-washing" for one type, might be just right for someone else, due to differences in oil, etc.
But I do agree that many people indeed do over-wash their hair, shampooing daily when they don't really need to, especially here in the US because they think they "should". There are some people who wash their hair TWICE a day in fact, along with the twice-daily showers that seem to be increasingly de rigeur. Mind you, none of these folks are out digging ditches, living in a hot climate(where a quick rinse a couple of times a day really helps), or in heavy athletic training.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
There are indeed  people who seem excessively obsessed with showers  and not just your side of the pond. Far be it from me to criticise anyone’s habits, but a daily shower is enough if your work does not involve digging ditches!
 I used to wash and blow dry my hair every day, especially when I was not very happy with the cut. So I would say: start with a good cut. You know that your hair has been properly cut if you go out on a windy day, and it all sort of falls back into place when you get back indoors. If you are going to spend money, make it on the best cut you can get. And then wash your hair every other day with a mild shampoo and use a small amount of product to style it. I would not use conditioner every day, but treat my hair to a conditioning  mask once a week and leave it on for a while (you can either wrap a hot towel round your head or cover it with cling-film).

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
@milla: I definitely agree about the good cut! I'm on a lower beauty budget as most of you know from my other posts elsewhere, but one thing I WON'T scrimp on is my haircuts, given what I have on my head. Hence the good haircuts first and foremost. This is also why once one finds someone who can cut one's hair well, stick with him or her, and follow them to another salon should they move with one's area. I've had my hair cutter for 8 years now.:) Another benefit of a decent haircut, is that it grows out well, meaning that one can go longer in between trims, depending on length of course. I can go a full 3 months or more between cuts because my guy is such a genius - his cuts always grow out well. Whereas a crappy haircut will look it in just 3 weeks or even less!:(

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
A crappy haircut! you sound like an (East)Londoner :lol: :lol: :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »
Lucy, I'm the same, if I don't wash my hair daily, my hair looks really bad.  I wash my hair but I don't always shampoo it.  I've also been using Alterna Caviar CC and many people like it, even ladies with fine hair like yours. It's expensive but this is my holy grail product after washing my hair product\. and you don't use much.  It's worth a try. I also purchased enough so now I look for it when it's on sale. I got it from QVC and recently purchased two backups from the Sephora VIB sale.  Oh, btw, I recently had a hair cut and it's all chopped off. It was three inches below my shoulder. Now, it's about three inches above my shoulder.  I love it!  Wash and wear.  :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
Longer-term attention to very fine hair should also consider diet in addition to the right care - if one is not getting in enough healthy foods, especially proteins, that affects hair too.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
Im more or less in the same boat. My hair has always been fine but in the past thick and pouffy. Now its thinning. I was maybe 2x week dont use a lot of product unless its a leavin conditioner or some kind of heat protectant. No more than one after product after using wash out conditioner.   

Anyway this has been more or less my solution to thinning hair:

I have a extra deep sink in the house and I have been using that to wash my hair since I can control the temperature of the water. For me it seems to make a difference. Less hair shedding and w/in a week or two my thickness or body seems to come back.  Diet also usually helps lots of deep leafy greens and protein . Fish when ever I can helps my hair and makes my skin glow. I ve been on vacation for  a week and forgot to take many of my supplements and my hair seems to be thinning out again so will start with the biotin and fish oil pills when I get back home.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
Ahhh....diet, yes.  :-[  I have much to improve on in that area!  I know I've mentioned before that I'm not the healthiest eater. But every day I wake up & begin again to make the effort to eat healthier than the day before.

SusieQ, I looked at the Alterna Caviar CC on Amazon to see what it is.  Pricey, but very good reviews.  I'll keep a look out for it the next time I'm at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. It was $20 on Amazon.

A question for those of you who do not wash your hair every day.....
How do you style it in the mornings when you do not wash it? Do you wet it in the shower?  When I get out of bed, my hair is sticking out every which way.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
...  When I get out of bed, my hair is sticking out every which way.

My very short hair did this until last week ... when I discovered satin pillowcases! Either silk or poly (mine are poly) will do the trick. I was afraid they would be too warm to sleep on, but they're fine. And my hair is where it's supposed to be when I wake up! It's a very old hint, but it works.   :)
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

bestorganic

• Loving life and loving organic skincare
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 04:01:09 AM »
Get rid of the toxic hair products you are using and go for something natural. All those harsh chemicals are going to contribute to thinning hair. You want to nourish your scalp, nourish your hair, not strip it. Rahua makes a great nourishing shampoo that contains an oil that penetrates to the core of your hair, repairing it. It is pretty amazing stuff :)
  • Complexion: oily and acne prone
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: brown

LAWoman67

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Hi...new here and I actually signed up because of my horror over my skin (will make a post about it after I read through that forum a bit and see if any of my issues have been addressed) but I am trying a hair, skin and nails multivite. There are a number of them on the market. I just started it last week so I don't know whether it's just so much woo or will actually help. I will keep anyone posted who is interested?

My hair has always been thin, fine and limp but at age almost 48, in the past three or four years it has really gone down the tubes. I put my hair into two ponytails close to my head the other day, each was the width of maybe a tiny bit bigger than a pencil, I nearly cried.

I am hypo-thyroid and have been medicated for several years now. My numbers are all good and otherwise I feel very healthy. But my skin and hair have just gone down the tubes in the past year or so. I was DXd as peri-meno five years ago based on my labs so I have to think this has something to do with it. It is maddening. And saddening.

I just cut off about 4" of it. It was heartbreaking.

I will keep ya posted if you'd like. I realize this is an older thread.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 03:20:03 AM »
Hi LAWoman, welcome, and yes, please keep us posted!

My hair has always been thin & very fine, but I am wondering if it is thinning more. I keep on looking at my scalp and thinking "Was it this easy to see it years back"?

I wash my hair every other day, in summer if I sweat doing garden work, even every day. I use SLS-free shampoo nowadays. Cannot hurt!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 12:31:10 PM »
Welcome LAWoman! First things first - we're so glad you found us and joined in! Everyone here is so friendly and helpful, you'll feel at home in no time.

Regarding your hair, I've always had fine hair but lots of it. Since I went through menopause though (an indeterminate time of my life because I had a hysterectomy but kept my ovaries before onset of menopause) I've noticed that I have less hair. I also felt like there was a time, when I was also having mild hot flashes, that my hair loss accelerated. It was like I was shedding for a bit. The good news is that after a year or so a lot of that hair grew back in. Maybe not all of it but a lot of it. So don't give up hope. It could be that when we are perimenopausal and our hormones are fluctuating that we just have to put up with more than hot flashes.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

LAWoman67

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
@Styyna that is very good news! And heartening to hear.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »
I know this is an old post but did you ladies sort out your hair?

ILuvLucy and LAWoman67 - please read this list of amazing oils
beautyheaven.com.au/hair/hair-treatments-masks/the-a-z-of-amazing-hair-oils
and see which best matches the description of your hair.

I am not suggesting that you jump in and buy it but use it as a starting point. For example, after 15 sessions of radiotherapy my hair was fried and it had frizzy ends and when I brushed my hair bits broke off. It had completely lost it's shine and body.  My hairdresser cut off all the damaged bits and told me to start using Pro Naturals, a hair repair system.  I started in December 2014 and have not looked back.  This is a system that I use for one week in every six weeks alongside my shampoo/conditioner or choice, currently Australian Tea Tree.  I use the argan oil leave in treatment after every shampoo, which is normally every 3 days prior to hair drying and heat styling.  My hair no longer has split ends, it is shiny, takes styling well and no frizz.  The correct heat tools helps too.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 09:56:54 AM »
I should do more hair mask but I am just too lazy for it. But, when I do remember, I put coconut oil on my hair, usually Saturdays, and go about my house choirs.  When I am done, usually, by the afternoon, I've had the oil on my hair for over 6-7 hours. I have tried many hair oil from d/s to $50 for an 1 oz and found one that I keep coming back to. But, I do put hair oil on my hair each time I wash my hair and that's every day.  I have my hair colored every 6-8 weeks and my hair dresser says that my hair is very healthy and I cal feel and see that my hair is healthy. I can't say enough about hair oil.

Now, that summer is here, by the afternoon, I take a 2-3 drops of my Moroccanoil, I have quite a bit of the small ones, and run it thru my hair. It smells great and keeps my hair nice and shiny.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 10:05:15 AM »
@SusieQ: I've heard that coconut oil strips hair color - is that true? I hope not, as I would love to use this on my hair!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
Thank you, Silverstreak.  I never knew there were so many different types of oils for hair!  I seem to be doing slightly better right now than when I first wrote.  I've been using Wen products for about 6 weeks or so (a gift), & at my last hair appointment, my hairdresser told me that I had hardly any split ends.  I don't know if I can thank the Wen products or not for this though.  :)

I'm glad to hear the Pro Naturals is working for  you.  It seems to have some good reviews on Amazon.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
Thank you, Silverstreak.  I never knew there were so many different types of oils for hair!  I seem to be doing slightly better right now than when I first wrote.  I've been using Wen products for about 6 weeks or so (a gift), & at my last hair appointment, my hairdresser told me that I had hardly any split ends.  I don't know if I can thank the Wen products or not for this though.  :)

I'm glad to hear the Pro Naturals is working for  you.  It seems to have some good reviews on Amazon.

I'm a scrooge, mine works out at roughly US$3 per "treatment"
silverstreak

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »
I have lots of fine hair, and maybe the best thing I've found for it is really inexpensive and easy.  I learned about it from Veuve, who owns Quotidienne and is sometimes a poster here.  She described a hair rinse she learned about from the blog of an Australian woman (this is getting very cross-referential but I feel like giving credit to these women) named Dempeau, who claimed the rinse made her hair grow and thicken.  I'm not sure if it really grows more or is thicker but it certainly looks and acts thicker and I can go longer between shampoos when I use this.  It's really easy: you mix equal parts of 2 natural products from an online company called SEA (Skin Essential Actives) ... one product is called something like sea nutrient emulsion, the other is sea algea essence, but both are clear, sort of gelatinous, without odor or oiliness.  I mix these 2, add some niacinamide (also from SEA, also an idea from Veuve), dilute it about 1 to 10, pour a handful onto my hair after shampooing and -- it's great.  I store it in the fridge and it lasts forever.  Thanks Veuve if you are reading -- this was a big changer in the beauty products department as it's very inexpensive, simple and super-good. 

easternhair

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 04:37:42 AM »
I think the best way for your thin hair is hair extension, you can find hair tip like you own and use the methods that willn't damage your own hair.
Tape in extension is great hold on the thin hair

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »
I think the suggestion of cutting down your hair washing is a good one, also if at all possible stop coloring your hair. Have a look at this link
http://www.beautyheaven.com.au/hair/hair-treatments-masks/the-a-z-of-amazing-hair-oils
I use almond oil or jojoba oil on my scalp if it gets a little itchy but I always use my Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil after every shampoo/condition applying it to the ends and only partway up the hair shaft. This oil is not greasy at all. This acts as an excellent heat protectant as I use a hair dryer and heat styling tool. I wash my hair every 3 days.
silverstreak

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
You might want to try Rogaine for the thinness. CVS makes a generic. I've also read that many dermatologists recommend the men's formula as it has a higher level od minoxidil.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 07:28:20 AM »
I never thought of using Rogaine as an option for those with thin hair. Do you know if it works for people who have always had thin hair?

Also, do you know if there's a reason why the men's formula has more minoxidil? Put another way, is it safe for women to use the men's formula?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 03:12:08 PM »
Styyna, I have read that minoxidil supposedly also increases the diameter of the hair, so it should work in your case. I don't know why men's Rogaine has a greater percentage of minoxidil but I have read that some derms recommend the higher strength to women for faster results.

ETA: It also increases the number of new hairs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:50:51 PM by Angelcat47 »
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights