News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Fire Cider, anyone?  (Read 1732 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Fire Cider, anyone?
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »
I wasn't even sure which category to place this post!  I was wondering if anyone has anyy experience with Fire Cider.  I came across a recipe to make it at home, but also see that one can purchase it.
Honestly, it sounds awful, but also sounds like it would be beneficial.

Recipe
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-fire-cider-recipes-from-the-kitchn-199972

Purchase
http://firecider.com
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Fire Cider, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »
Oh, that actually looks good! I love spicy food and I can eat a Jalapeno by itself so this sounds and looks delicious!! I will have to tag this and get a good look later tonight. Thank you, Lucy!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
LOL, SusieQ, do you really think you would like it? You & my son --  he loves anything & everything spicy.  His latest favorite is Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa (supposedly the hottest pepper in the world).  We always joke that he likes spicy foods because he was born in Arizona, haha.
I would try the Fire Cider more for a health boost.  I'm not too keen on really spicy foods.  Though I'm wondering if it would be cheaper for me to purchase it rather than make the recipe, by the time I purchased all the ingredients.  :grin:
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
I love spice food. Fire cider sound quite interesting. I have got most of the ingredients in my kitchen cupboard...

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
I think I'd try the recipe if I had the ingredients.   Most of my spices are the dried type.  I have a dumb question -- how does one buy turmeric to peel & dice? Is it sold by the produce in the grocery store?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 02:25:09 AM »
I think I'd try the recipe if I had the ingredients.   Most of my spices are the dried type.  I have a dumb question -- how does one buy turmeric to peel & dice? Is it sold by the produce in the grocery store?
I don't think it's dumb maybe health food stores or Indian grocery stores? I'm going to try to make this weekend. :)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
I don't think it's dumb maybe health food stores or Indian grocery stores? I'm going to try to make this weekend. :)
Please come back & let me know how it goes!   :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Late on this thread - this sounds awesome! I used to make a couple of my own tinctures, so this is well within my abilities. It's just a matter of getting all the raw materials together and doing it. Since in the article it mentions having to wait 3-6 weeks for it to steep, this project is best started during late summer at the latest, so it would be ready for all fall and winter.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
I was hoping you would weigh in on this, Cara!  :)   Yes, a little late to start, but here in the northeast, winter can hang on into March. I'm still considering buying it premade.  The website indicates that there's a store not far from me that carries it.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
@ILuvLucy: Cool that a store near you might have it!:) This would be the way to go while waiting for a homemade batch to cure, or if one simply doesn't have time to make it. Lots of people already have a lot on their plate, especially at this time of the year. Actually, I just went to the Fire Cider website to see if any store near me has it. Not only that, but said store is just 3 blocks away from where I live!:)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »
Wow, that's great, Cara!  I just had to google turmeric to see what it looks like.  :rollseyes:
From the picture online, it seems to look something like ginger.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
Didn't get a chance to try it, yet.  Christmas and all. But, I have some time off after Christmas so it would be the best time for me to try it.  I'll check the website to find out if there is a store near me.  :birdonbranch:

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »
OH MY gosh! This is the most disgusting thing I have every tasted!   :cackle:  LOL
BUT, my son loves it.  So there ya go.   :grin:
I am trying my best to have a little each day as an experiment to see if I stay healthy throughout the winter.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »
Did you make it or did you purchase it?  I've been putting away Christmas and staying late at work again so I haven't time to make this and still want to try.   :) Was it too spicy is that why you didn't like it.