News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My New Hobby - Orchids  (Read 4899 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
My New Hobby - Orchids
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
Some oncidium orchids have scent but not this one. I found it at our local farmer's market. I forgot to asked the name. The one that I've rescued from my friend didn't have a label so I don't know the name of the orchid. I will have to wait until I see a bloom next year. I am hopeful.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: My New Hobby - Orchids
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 03:57:48 PM »
Thank you for posting the pictures. I know very little about orchids save there are many varieties and they can be very fussy (but I think some are easier than others to grow). I'll ask DH if he has any good tips to offer as soon as he awakes from a nap. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
Thank you for posting the pictures. I know very little about orchids save there are many varieties and they can be very fussy (but I think some are easier than others to grow). I'll ask DH if he has any good tips to offer as soon as he awakes from a nap. :)
My friend's orchid is the phalanenopsis variety and they are the ones that we find at grocery stores, farmer's market and usually the ones that we buy at florist.  I find these everywhere and lucked out on the oncidium. I have to find out the name of this oncidium.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »
DH is awake and here's what he has to say:

First, you have two hardy types so that's good for starting out.

They like moist air. Find a spot and leave them; in other words, don't move them around a lot. They like lots of sunlight and complete dark. He doesn't remember a lot of specifics about watering them except that it's bad to overwater them.

He says they are a very loving plant and like to be admired. :)

If he recalls more I'll be sure to pass it along! Good luck and I hope your thumb is greener than mine. :)
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »

He says they are a very loving plant and like to be admired. :)
Thank him for me, Stynna. I found a spot for them. They get a little bit of the rising sun and I do come over and say "hello" to them when I get home. I also touch them and tell them how wonderful they look.  :D

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
Plants do indeed respond to one's loving care - seriously! So you're on the right track.:) Did you by any chance attend any of the annual Pacific Orchid Expositions that happen at Fort Mason here in SF? DH and I have been a few times and it is always spectacular since people come from all over with their prize-winning, or at least exhibition-worthy orchids, to the tune of 150,000 blooms.:)

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »

I realize this has absolutely nothing to do with orchids, but you know which plants are hardy and amazing? Flag plants.
I have had one plant, literally, for 35 years!

I adore plants. I love how they bring the outdoors, in. I have a modern living room/ dining room, so the plants also warm the space up.
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
Hi Cara, no I haven't but it's on my to do list! I would love to an exhibit.  While cruising the net, I noticed some very, very expensive orchids. I doubt that I would ever get to that level. Since we have the drought, these the perfect ones to have and I can grow them indoor.   :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »

I realize this has absolutely nothing to do with orchids, but you know which plants are hardy and amazing? Flag plants.
I have had one plant, literally, for 35 years!

I adore plants. I love how they bring the outdoors, in. I have a modern living room/ dining room, so the plants also warm the space up.
I don't think I've ever seen a Flag Plant.  Can you send pix over, Chat? 35 years old!  Wow!  Is that a normal lifespan for this plant?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
Here's the third orchid - I don't know the name. I'm still searching. I didn't know there were so many different types.   :puzzled:  Maybe I should stick with phalaenopsis and maybe next year branch out to other types.  :lol:

All three are doing well.  This one, one of buds is starting to open. I can wait to see this one bloom.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
How exciting to have one with buds! I can't wait to see what the blossom looks like. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:05:41 PM »
How exciting to have one with buds! I can't wait to see what the blossom looks like. :)
Me, too.   :excellent:  I usually talk to them when I get home and tells this little to wake up soon! :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
Here are new pictures of my Orchid and they are blooming!  Still looking for their actual names... ???

I need to a new hobby - how to take pictures and post them. :o

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »
Your orchids are beautiful! And so are your pictures. You must have just the right touch and attitude for them.

I showed them to DH and he doesn't know what they are either. He's amazed at how available they are to you - farmer's markets and grocery stores. Of course, we don't even have farmer's markets during the winter here in WI and the climate here is just not very orchid friendly. He's impressed that you can grow them without any special apparatus like lights and such. I presume that living in CA makes a big difference.

Please keep sharing pictures. They bring a much needed touch of spring to those of us still slogging through snow and slush! :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »
I went to Home Depot and I was able to buy two more phaleanopsis. A pretty red and white.  My mom was trying to kill a violet so I rescued that one, too. I'll post pictures of the new ones and the violet. I just took the pictures and have sent them to my gmail. It could take a while.  :lol:

We're lucky enough that our Farmer's Market is open every Saturday - rain or shine.  I found a vendor that sells wonderful bread. I just purchased my 2nd flax seed bread and it's really tasty. He had taste a few other breads they sell and they were delicious.

I also purchased some blueberries that were bigger than my eyeballs. I didn't think they were going to be sweet but they were.