News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My New Hobby - Orchids  (Read 4889 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: My New Hobby - Orchids
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »
Milla, they are really easy to take care because of hybribizing. They are popular and people want to grow them at home so resilient hybrib made for home growing were crossed bred.  But, different hybrib will require different growing conditions. 

The easiest to grow and stores have abundance of is the Phalaenopsis. Unfortunately, the stores want them to look so pretty for quick sale that they really don't plant them in the right medium. The medium kinda like soil for a regular plant.  And, often one the orchid comes home, it gets too much water. It seems like a lot of work but not really.

If you do decide to buy one, let me know and I can give you some tips if you like.  :)

So, now I have 27 orchids and I'll take a picture o my latest addition. The vanda, I mentioned earlier has arrived. It's smaller that I expected but I love it just the same.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »
Thanks, I will ask your advice. I am going to the flower market in a weeks' time (my friend is taking me there because I don't drive). That is the best place in London to buy orchids and all sorts of flowers. You can go to garden centres out of town, but in the flower market they tend to be cheaper.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
Milla and SusieQ - I'd love pictures from both of you. I'd love to see how Milla starts out, kind of like we got to see with SusieQ. And I'd love to see a picture of SusieQ's new Vanda as well as a group photo of as many as possible!

I envy your green thumbs. I have an assortment of plants that are just barely hanging onto life and they are all very undemanding plants. At least I have a lovely south-facing window to set them all in so that they get plenty of light. Now if I could just remember to water them before they start to show signs of wilting they might even thrive!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
Milla and SusieQ - I'd love pictures from both of you. I'd love to see how Milla starts out, kind of like we got to see with SusieQ. And I'd love to see a picture of SusieQ's new Vanda as well as a group photo of as many as possible!

I envy your green thumbs. I have an assortment of plants that are just barely hanging onto life and they are all very undemanding plants. At least I have a lovely south-facing window to set them all in so that they get plenty of light. Now if I could just remember to water them before they start to show signs of wilting they might even thrive!
I've taken more pictures and will post them this weekend.  :)  For some reason, I tend to be more proactive about my orchids than anything else. I think because I am able to share this new hobby with the rest of the people in the household. I've placed orchids with blooms all around the house so that we can all enjoy the bloom.  During this time is when it's the easiest to take care of them. Once the flowers drop, each hybrib of orchids will have a special need during the summer, fall and winter.  I hope they all make it thru the winter time for bloom time next year.  :lol:

I am realistic enough to know that some may not make it but it will be a learning experience.  :)  :(

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »
Wow -- 27 orchids! I'm really impressed with your green thumb, SusieQ. Can't wait to see them all!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
Here are a few more pictures.  :)  There is an orchid exposition next week near me and I am dying to go.   The first picture is watering day. Lots of orchids on the sink area. The 2nd one is another Miltoniopsis orchids and I had purchased two other ones with ruby red flowers and the other one is white. The 3rd one is the Vanda orchid and it just hangs in the basket with bare roots showing. It needs lots of light and I dunk it in water everyday.   The 4th are my Nobile and the orchid that smells like chocolate. It's still in bloom.  The last one is my most recent purchased.

I'm heading to the farmer's market tomorrow and see what she has and next week it's the orchid show!!  Soooo excited. It's going to put a big hole in my wallet.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2015, 02:29:28 AM »
How fantastic! Everything looks so healthy, lush and colourful. You are doing a great job, SusieQ!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »
I bought an orchid! but without your guidance I think it is going to die... You can't see it in this photo, but the roots are sticking out of the pot because there is not a lot of compost in it.  What do you think? do I need to re-pot it? do orchids thrive in any good, all -purpose compost, or should I buy special compost for orchids?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 07:24:42 AM »
SusieQ, I showed your pictures of your gorgeous orchids to DH and he became very wistful, reminiscing about when he had a whole room devoted to orchids. I'm trying to encourage him to start growing them again but I think he's still, after all these years, disheartened by the virus that swept through and killed all his orchids. Yours, on the other hand, all appear to be flourishing and I think you might be doing more research about caring for them than DH did. He grew them when the internet was still young and all the great information wasn't so easily available.

Milla, I'm sure SusieQ will have great tips for you. Your orchid is beautiful and I wish you and it a long, healthy bloom-filled life.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »
I bought an orchid! but without your guidance I think it is going to die... You can't see it in this photo, but the roots are sticking out of the pot because there is not a lot of compost in it.  What do you think? do I need to re-pot it? do orchids thrive in any good, all -purpose compost, or should I buy special compost for orchids?
OH, she's really pretty, milla!!  No, you don't have to repot it now. Enjoy the bloom!   Orchids, the species, the ones that grow in the wild are not planted in soil but rather cling to trees and before they became famous, people thought that orchids were  weeds that were feeding off the trees.  But, of course, they just needed some place to hang around.  So the roots sticking out are called aerial roots and they need to be sticking out. When you repot it, those roots sticking out should remain out, too.   Do you have the name of our orchids?  It looks like a phalaenopsis.   If it is, make sure it has lots of light.  I'm bad at this but here in California the east is where the sunrises. So, if possible, place your orchid where the sun rises. If not possible, you have to make sure that it doesn't get direct hot sunlight.  If the only window you want to place this orchid is where the heat of the day is at its worse, use sheer curtains to shield it from direct heat.   Water once a week. The way to water is to soak it  for 10-15 minutes and then let is complete drain.  The water level when you soak it should just a bit below the pot it's in.  Make sure that no water droplets goes between the leaves or the crown - the crown is where the leaves are growing from.  If water gets to it, you use a paper towel to get the droplets out.

It loves a warm day and cool nights.  But, phalaenopsis will take what you can give them.  The hybrids today are hard to kill. You have to really want to kill one in order for it not to survive.

Fertilizer every two weeks same way that you water -soak. They have fertilizers made for orchid but I don't use full strength of the fertilizer. You know, too much fertilizer can burn the roots.  I use half of the recommended dose.

When the last flower is spent, we can talk about repotting.  Can you take the picture of the bottom portion so that I can see what medium they use to plant it?  I close up picture would help. But, your orchid is soooo pretty! I love your choice. Oh, there's a tag. What does the tag say? :)  It seems a lot but like other plants, they do require different care.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
SusieQ, I showed your pictures of your gorgeous orchids to DH and he became very wistful, reminiscing about when he had a whole room devoted to orchids. I'm trying to encourage him to start growing them again but I think he's still, after all these years, disheartened by the virus that swept through and killed all his orchids. Yours, on the other hand, all appear to be flourishing and I think you might be doing more research about caring for them than DH did. He grew them when the internet was still young and all the great information wasn't so easily available.

Yes, it's amazing that after all these many years, they can't find any sure cure for an orchid virus.  :cry:  Yes, really different now and so many helps out there.  I check my orchids everyday and I'll miss something, I'm sure but all I can do is try my best.  So many youtubers and nurseries giving there two cents. It's amazing.   I hope that he starts again because they are relaxing. You can also test orchids now if you think they have virus and the results are within minutes. The test tubes are a bit expensive but it you have nice collection, the cost is small in comparison.  Unfortunately, once an orchid has virus, the only thing to do is throw it out. But, this helps with safeguarding the rest.

DH found me another Oncidium Sharry  Baby and he now can smell the chocolate. Maybe you can buy your DH the Oncidium Sharry Baby. If you type in Oncidium Sharry Baby, you get lots of hits on care and where to buy it. Just a thought...  :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 04:16:29 AM »
SusieQ, it is a Phalaenopsis two-spike ‘Moth Orchid’ and the tag says that it needs steady warm temperature and high humidity. Thanks for your advice. I had it in the wrong place ,in the hall where there is not much light; it has now been moved to the room at the back which is the sunniest in the house, not that we get a lot of sunshine here. I will follow your advice! here's a photo that shows the roots.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »
Milla, it has nice green roots!  With phals, it easy to tell when they need water. When the roots that are sticking out starts to get light grey kinda fuzzy, it needs water.  It looks like its planted in bark, which is good. The bark chips gives the bottom roots some air circulation. Water every 7-8 days and keep out of direct light and it will do well in your environment.  Phals need at least 50% humidity but it will take what you can give it.  The demise of a phal is usuallly over watering. You can also stick a pencil in the pot and if looks and feel dry, you can water. If you see a little bit of moisture, you can water the next day.

Your environment will determine how often you need to water it. So, all you need to do is keep those two things in mind when you want to water your lovely orchid - pencil and color of the roots out of the pot. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.   :wink:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
Thank you for your expert advice. I am quite taken by this new hobby and it is all down to your enthusiasm. I might get another one but let's see how I get on with this one first of all...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »
Milla, will your conservatory be the room you grow your orchid(s) in? It seems, from the picture, like the perfect place.