News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My New Hobby - Orchids  (Read 5284 times)

SusanG

• Platinum Member
Re: My New Hobby - Orchids
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 06:04:38 PM »
SusieQ, it is a Phalaenopsis two-spike ‘Moth Orchid’ and the tag says that it needs steady warm temperature and high humidity. Thanks for your advice. I had it in the wrong place ,in the hall where there is not much light; it has now been moved to the room at the back which is the sunniest in the house, not that we get a lot of sunshine here. I will follow your advice! here's a photo that shows the roots.

Wow. I'm realizing that I know less than nothing about orchids. Those roots are fascinating.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »
Milla, will your conservatory be the room you grow your orchid(s) in? It seems, from the picture, like the perfect place.
That would be so perfect, milla!  It would be like a little greenhouse. What I've learn from lots of reading is that if your comfortable, your orchid will also be comfortable.  Once you have the conservatory, you can find orchids that bloom during different times of the year so that you will always have a bloom in there all year round! *sigh* That sounds just lovely.  :meditate:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
SusieQ, it is a Phalaenopsis two-spike ‘Moth Orchid’ and the tag says that it needs steady warm temperature and high humidity. Thanks for your advice. I had it in the wrong place ,in the hall where there is not much light; it has now been moved to the room at the back which is the sunniest in the house, not that we get a lot of sunshine here. I will follow your advice! here's a photo that shows the roots.

Wow. I'm realizing that I know less than nothing about orchids. Those roots are fascinating.
:)Susan, about three months ago, I had no idea that there are over 30K different kind of orchids to date. Now, I have five different kind of orchids in my living room...in my living room.  :lol:  I am going to an orchid exposition this weekend and it's scaring me since I am running out of room. I think I have close to 30 orchids now. Yikes!  :lol: 

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »
Btw, milla, no worries about sunshine. Your phal needs lights. They will take artificial lights, too. As long as you don't let it sit in water for months, your pretty orchid will give you lots of flowers in the return.  Is the orchid planted in a clear pot, btw? It looks like actual orchid pot is inside a decorative pot?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
It is planted in a small clear plastic pot inside the glass pot. Do you think I should just get rid of the glass pot, as it makes watering difficult? 

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
It is planted in a small clear plastic pot inside the glass pot. Do you think I should just get rid of the glass pot, as it makes watering difficult?
That's good!  You'll be able to see the roots inside the pot.  We want green roots.  :D +

No, actually, use the outer pot as the soaking pot.  So, when it's time to water, use a watering can or a water bottle that has a small opening and pour the water on the medium without wetting the leaves if possible. After 10-15 minutes take the plastic pot out of the glass one and set the orchid on the sink to drain. Then, empty the water from the glass pot  and wipe dry. Wait another 10-15 minutes before you return it in the glass pot.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2015, 01:44:20 AM »
Thanks, dear. I wish I had known all this before!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »
My pleasure!  Did you kow that in the mid 19th century Queen Victoria had her own "royal orchid grower"?! His name was Frederick Sanders and he had people working for him to hunt down the most exotic orchids from South America. I'll be searching Amazon for books about Frederick. I think that's pretty interesting. I was thinking that this might interest you, too.  :)  So much history to catch up on! 

in case you're interested.  :)

http://www.orchid.org.uk/orchidstories.htm

Nice short history.  :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2015, 03:42:14 PM »
I love orchids; as I mentioned in a previous post, I had  an orchid  bouquet when I got married and I wore a real orchid on my hair (very exotic).
 I enjoyed reading about orchids. It is interesting that Liverpool was a focal point for the cultivation of orchids: I imagine all these lovely flowers, in a hot house, talking to each other in a Liverpudlian  accent :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2015, 07:19:02 AM »
I love that we now have two orchid tenders. I'm loving the pictures and the talk about the care and nurturing of orchids. The more I read the more I want to encourage DH to find a place to begin growing them again. Space is definitely an issue in our house. We have one south-facing window that lends itself well to plants but that is already filled with houseplants that are, to my amazement, doing quite well. Otherwise we don't have any windows that are conducive to growing plants. He has grow lights though and that's how he grew them in the past. So we need to find a way to make space for his lights. If I could persuade him to declutter some of his stuff that he hasn't touched in years except to move from one location to another...well, that's another story!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
You can also hang the pots that hold the orchids.  Just a thought.  With your south facing window and lots of plants thriving, you already have the humidity from the house plants.  :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
I love orchids; as I mentioned in a previous post, I had  an orchid  bouquet when I got married and I wore a real orchid on my hair (very exotic).
 I enjoyed reading about orchids. It is interesting that Liverpool was a focal point for the cultivation of orchids: I imagine all these lovely flowers, in a hot house, talking to each other in a Liverpudlian  accent :lol:
:lol:  I thought that you may get a kick knowing that Liverpool was a focal point.   I find the whole history fascinating!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
Back from the orchid show and was glad that it was a small one. There were only five sellers.  I was able to purchased five orchids that I've never seen before so I have lots of reading to do this weekend!

The first one is similar to Sharry Baby but it's supposed to smell better.   It's pretty strong! The second picture I grouped two orchids. One is called Lou Sneary and has very strong fragrance for a tiny flowers. It's the one with the  bloom.  Next to it is an called Aristocrat with white flower and the scent only releases at night!  I hope to see flowers soon!  The fourth is a green flowering orchid and it's called the Little Green Apples. It doesn't have a scent but I don't have an orchid with green flowers so I had to have it.  The last one is called Fascination and the bloom on this one is supposed to be 6.5 inches! I can't wait to see it.  :bliss:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2015, 12:37:32 PM »
How lovely, all of them. You have a real collection now.

I could ask DH but he's napping so I'll ask you...Are some of your orchids more difficult to grow than others? Or do they all have pretty much the same requirements? I ask because it seems to me that I've heard that some orchids can be temperamental.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend of reading and adoring your indoor garden. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »
How lovely, all of them. You have a real collection now.

I could ask DH but he's napping so I'll ask you...Are some of your orchids more difficult to grow than others? Or do they all have pretty much the same requirements? I ask because it seems to me that I've heard that some orchids can be temperamental.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend of reading and adoring your indoor garden. :)
Well, orchids are easy to grow if you have the right growing condition.  But, it's like any other plants right?  I mean, you won't buy a plant because it's pretty and then find out that it doesn't grown in your particular region or zone.  With so many types of orchids over 35K and growing, you find a place where you want to grow your orchid and find the type of orchid that will grow in that place.  Kitchen windowsill are best because cooking gives the humidity and there is always plenty of light.  :lol:

If you decide to grow orchids, I think this would be the best place to keep your first orchid. You see it everyday and it will have all the things it needs. You just have to make sure that the water drains when you water and it has time to almost dry out before you water again.  It can take regular fertilizer for flowers so I don't think you need to buy a special orchid fertilizers. Just my opinion.  :grin:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:51:46 AM by SusieQ »