News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My New Hobby - Orchids  (Read 5345 times)

SusanG

• Platinum Member
Re: My New Hobby - Orchids
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »
Wow! Something tells me you're hooked on this, SusieQ.  :wink:  What a fabulous collection. Do keep posting them!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »
Wow! Something tells me you're hooked on this, SusieQ.  :wink:  What a fabulous collection. Do keep posting them!
I am.  :grin:  The best thing about this is that I can share it with the rest of the family in the house.  My DH has purchased a few orchids for me and he enjoys that scents.  It's not a scent that comes out of a can.  My DS enjoys that he can find something for me that doesn't involve looking for a right color of makeup, me, too!

The earlier orchids that I purchased, the flowers have already fallen and have repotted.  I see new growth and it tells me that I am doing something right. But, the downside is that I want to keep buying and running out of room!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2015, 02:12:16 PM »
I've been sharing pictures and progress with my DH, hoping to interest him in growing orchids again. He's interested if I participate. Only thing is that he doesn't want us to be tied down by the need to tend to orchids. When we go to my son's wedding in July that will be the first time we've gotten away together in many years due to the needs of pets. We still have a dog and a cat but they don't have special needs and a friend is willing to visit them several times a day and tend to them for us. I'm not sure that we want to ask a friend to tend to orchids in future absences on top of the pets. Any thoughts about how we could get away for a week to 10 days if we had orchids? I'm assuming they require watering (and maybe feeding?) more frequently than that.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »
I've been sharing pictures and progress with my DH, hoping to interest him in growing orchids again. He's interested if I participate. Only thing is that he doesn't want us to be tied down by the need to tend to orchids. When we go to my son's wedding in July that will be the first time we've gotten away together in many years due to the needs of pets. We still have a dog and a cat but they don't have special needs and a friend is willing to visit them several times a day and tend to them for us. I'm not sure that we want to ask a friend to tend to orchids in future absences on top of the pets. Any thoughts about how we could get away for a week to 10 days if we had orchids? I'm assuming they require watering (and maybe feeding?) more frequently than that.
Base on the type of orchids you decide to start with, I recommend a good dose of watering the day before you leave and you can let them sit on water the following day. if you have a lot, you can get one of those rubber large square container and placed all your orchids in it. The water should be mid way of of the pots or lower.  You'll need to gauge this based on your home temperature. More water the hotter, etc.  Then, place the container in a bright  area where it will get some lights but not full on sun.  Once you get home and the container still have water, take the orchids out if you can right away. If there is no more water, you just need to check the pot whether they need any watier but it can usually wait another day if the water is all gone.  And, thisl will also help if you want your friend to add water to the container instead of watering the orchid individually. They can place a cup of water is the water is all gone and you're still away.    Phals can go for a month without water. But, it really depends on the type of orchid you grow.   :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2015, 08:59:02 PM »
When you say to fill midway up the pot or lower, does that mean the lowest roots would be in water until the water in the rubber container was gone? Or have I misunderstood?
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
When you say to fill midway up the pot or lower, does that mean the lowest roots would be in water until the water in the rubber container was gone? Or have I misunderstood?
You got it. Some of the roots will be in water. If you are out for a week, you don't have to do this but if you expects to out for two weeks, yes, and they will be fine - an inch or two inches of water will probably make you feel more comfortable.  If you are gone more than two weeks, this is where you may want your neighbor to fill the rubber container to insure moistures.

The standing water will also provide humidity and keep the plants cool if it too hot while you are away. Of course, the alternative is to have some in the rubber container with water and some out.  Unfortunately, they do say it's all about the environment and the type of orchids you are growing.

I have seedling orchids and if they grow to adulthood and bloom for me, I know that I am doing something right but rigth now, it's all trial and errors, reading  and some just common sense. A read a story from an orchid grower and he said that one of his orchids was having a tough time and he didn't know wha to do. So, it was lots of reading and trials and errors. Finally, he said that he moved the orchid about a foot away from where it originally spot and it thrive.  Crazy, right?  :) And, stuff like this is what makes me what to know why.  :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.

I think that, if we do this, we will start with the hardiest varieties we can find. We'll probably have to order them online as the only orchid shop we know about is 2 hours away and their prices are very spendy for starting out. If we get started and make it through a year then I'd consider spending more. Can I ask...how much do you pay at your farmer's market for a plant? Online I see plants for around $12-15 but the shop that's closest to us starts at $25 per plant.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.

I think that, if we do this, we will start with the hardiest varieties we can find. We'll probably have to order them online as the only orchid shop we know about is 2 hours away and their prices are very spendy for starting out. If we get started and make it through a year then I'd consider spending more. Can I ask...how much do you pay at your farmer's market for a plant? Online I see plants for around $12-15 but the shop that's closest to us starts at $25 per plant.
That's the average price I've been paying for my orchids.  When I purchased the orchids at the show, there was one seller and her orchids are really good and her prices were $25 per orchid. At least the ones I purchased. There was one small one and it was only $15.  Well, it wasn't a baby orchid. It was a miniature orchid.  She's in Santa Barbara in CA so I may end up purchasing online from her store.  I agree with you. I think that's a smart move.

I will probably cut back on buying now that I have an ample size of collection and can concentrate on growing and learning. Your seller will be able to provide guidance on how to grow your orchid since you'll probably buy within your state.  Good luck and I hope your DH does decide to take it up again. But, I understand how he felt when he lost his orchids.  You get so attached to them because you do spend  a lot time  caring for them  and then they sick and there's nothing you can do to help.   :)