News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: My New Hobby - Orchids  (Read 5285 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: My New Hobby - Orchids
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »
Do you see that poor violet?  So sad but I think I will make it since I see new tiny fuzzy leaves. 

The red, white and yellow are the new additions and they've seen opened up lots of their buds into such beauty. The red one has a slight scent and not to bad but you have to stick your nose in the flower to really smell something.  :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »
Such a pretty grouping with the red, SusieQ!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »
SusieQ, wow, you are really going to town with the orchids and they're beautiful! You seem to have found your calling and quite the green thumb. Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures, too. I shared them with my DH and he loved them.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »
I do love them and i hope I don't kill any of them.  They are sooo pretty.  Between the Honest Guys videos and these beautiful orchids, I do feel relax when I get home.  I lucked out because this is the time of the year that these bloom.  :flowers:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
My collections have grown since I last posted.  I purchased three tiny phalaenopsis. My husband purchased a purple phalaenopsis - not it's true color - sythetic dye. But, it's not harmful to the plant according to the label.  It's very pretty.  :lol:

I also went online and purchased  four Cattleya orchids and many of you ladies may know these by the corsages that you were given on dates or prom night. That's the official name of that orchid on your wrist. They are part of the cattleya alliance and there are literally hundreds of species that it boggles my mind!

And, a cymbidium seedling, as well. 

The four I purchased are seedlings which means that I don't expect them to bloom for the next 18 months to two years from now if they survive my growing environment.  If I don't kill these seedlings by next year, I will buy mature ones so that I can have see their bloom next year.  And, by then, I would be a little more orchid smart.   :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
Orchids have become a full-fledged hobby for you, SusieQ. That's great since you seem to derive so much pleasure from growing them. I'm sure that with your innate sense of caring for them and all your research that your new plants and seedlings will thrive just as your first plants have done.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
It has and been really fun so far.  I've been hearing about a orchid that supposed to smell like chocolate and been aching to find one but didn't want to buy one online. Yesterday, I had my hair done and as I was about to go into the hair salon, my eyes saw the orchid vendor with a red, chocolate color blooming orchid. I didn't want to get my hopes high. Oh, my hair appointment is always Saturday and every Saturday, there is farmer's market on the same street.  Where was I...I slowly walked over and I touched the bloom and the lady selling them said that the one I was touching smells like chocolate and I heard angels singing. Casually, with a look of innocent, yeah, innocent!...I asked, "Really?". She said, "yes" and smiled.  I asked how much and she said, "$17 but I'll give it to you for $15". Sold!!

And, darn it, it smells like milk chocolate!!  It's Sharry Babby and smells sooooooo good!

@Styyna, I'm sure your DH is familiar with this one and may have had one at one time and you are probably familiar with this orchid. Oh, it is smell sooo good!  It really does smell like chocolate. I'm going back again next Saturday and see what else she has. I hope she has another Sharry Baby.  I may asked her to save me one if she can. I'll post a pix soon!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 08:20:34 AM »
DH has been out of the world of orchids so long that he hasn't heard of Sharry Babby or an orchid that smells like chocolate. It could be that living in MN when he was growing them meant that he had access to fewer varieties.

How fortunate to have a farmer's market at the same and nearly the same place as your weekly appointment! It sounds like you need to befriend the woman selling orchids so that she sets aside special varieties just for you! And she would probably be a great person to talk to about the care and feeding of your existing orchids.

Looking forward to more pictures. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 10:06:07 AM »
I added an extra "b" in the name of my new orchid. It's Sharry Baby.  :lol: The one I have is a hybrid so the scent is not so intense but I've heard other hybrids that can cover an entire room with their scents. I am still looking.  :) I'm heading to the farmer's market again this Saturday to check on my orchid lady and see if she has anything new for me.

Yes, I think I need to be her "BFOF"! :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
Here are the new additions to my orchid farm!

The first one is an Oncidium Sharry Baby that smells like chocolate

The 2nd one is Miltonopsis and it has a scent and the scent is only around for about 4-5 hours during the early afternoon. No scent during early morning and after 7pm. So wild!!

The 3rd one is a Dendrobium Nobile Silk White Empress - no scent but I love this one. She is sooo pretty.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 01:10:46 AM »
They're gorgeous, SusieQ! You're amassing an amazing collection!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
What beautiful flowers. I'd love to smell the scented ones - they look like they would have divine fragrances.

You've started an indoor garden! How many varieties do you have now? I'm becoming a little green with envy at your green thumb. :D

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »
They're gorgeous, SusieQ! You're amassing an amazing collection!
:wink:  I am kinda, aren't I. The scent of the yellor orchid fills the entire house. When I get home, it's so wonderful. The fact that's natural makes it soo much better. It's reallly one of my favorite and my husband found them at our local Safeway! :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »
What beautiful flowers. I'd love to smell the scented ones - they look like they would have divine fragrances.

You've started an indoor garden! How many varieties do you have now? I'm becoming a little green with envy at your green thumb. :D
I have 5 so far: Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, Cymbidium, Miltoniopsis, Cattleya. I just ordered my first Vanda:

http://larrysorchids.com/collections/frontpage/products/vanda-roberts-delight-black

A little expensive but I've been wanting to get my hands on this one since I started my Orchid Journey!  :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »
I've always loved orchids, I had yellow ones in my bouquet when I got married. However I have not been very lucky with them. I have had a couple of plants that kept going  for about...3 months, but once the first flowers died, they came into flower again.
 I nearly bought one today, but they are quite expensive in shops. I am going to the flower market in a couple of weeks and they are much cheaper there (there is also more variety).