News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Eye Makeup Remover?  (Read 5616 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Eye Makeup Remover?
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:25 AM »
What's every using?  I really like the one Avon makes. But I'm down to my last tiny bit & it's a pain to order more. 
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusanG

• Platinum Member
Re: Eye Makeup Remover?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »
I use good old fashioned Pond's Cold Cream for removing all my makeup. Works like a charm, and it's cheap! I cleanse afterwards with a micellar cleansing water which is safe to put on the eyes (currently Yves Rocher's), to remove any residue.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
Just curious - what are the benefits of micellar cleansing water? I haven't heard of it before or only in passing and paid no attention.

Googling it I found hype from companies promoting their products but I wasn't clear about its benefits. I read that it's supposed to take off makeup but a quick MUA review check showed it doesn't remove difficult makeup (thus your use of Pond's, no doubt). I also read that it's good for sensitive skin but some MUA reviews found it too harsh to use.

Is it simply a replacement for cleansing with a product that requires rinsing? Do you apply moisturizer and/or actives after using it?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
I just use extra-virgin coconut oil, also cheap and good. Trader's Joe's brand to be exact - only $5.99 for a 16-oz. jar. I follow that up with CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser for my night-time makeup removal and cleansing.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
Oh gosh...where do I begin...to tell a story of how I cleanse my face (singing along are you?)  I do the double cleansing thing. And, I love trying it all.  My favorite is the one from The Body Shop:

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/shop-by-line/camomile/camomile-sumptuous-cleansing-butter.aspx

When it's on sale I stock up.  It has the consistency of coconut oil but softer and you put on dry skin and once you mush it all around your face and eyes, you wash it off  with warm water and everything comes off. I have three backups, I think.  Oh, I use waterproof mascara and this stuff takes it all off without taking any lashes off with it. I'm on my 3rd tin so I guess it has the HG status.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »
What's every using?  I really like the one Avon makes. But I'm down to my last tiny bit & it's a pain to order more.

I have been using the Avon one for years. I stock up when it is really cheap.
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »

I have been using the Avon one for years. I stock up when it is really cheap.

That's what I do, MJ! I could've sworn I still had a few left, but hmmmm...mysteriously they are all gone.  (wondering if it has anything to do with teenage daughter!)
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
That's what I do, MJ! I could've sworn I still had a few left, but hmmmm...mysteriously they are all gone.  (wondering if it has anything to do with teenage daughter!)

I am down to my last one. Have to start keeping an eye out for it in the upcoming brochures.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:33:39 PM »

I am down to my last one. Have to start keeping an eye out for it in the upcoming brochures.

I saw it online. I think it was on sale for 3 bottles/$6. Which is basically half price. But shipping is $6. Do you have to pay shipping when you order it from an Avon Rep?

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
I saw it online. I think it was on sale for 3 bottles/$6. Which is basically half price. But shipping is $6. Do you have to pay shipping when you order it from an Avon Rep?

If I am not mistaken there is a 75 cent Order Processing Charge in addition to sales tax when you order from a rep. No shipping charges as far as I know.

marci65

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »
I like the Almay eye makeup remover pads.  Have been buying them for at least 10 years.  They get all of my eye makeup off and remove my mascara relatively easily with minimal lash loss (but this sometimes changes if I change my mascara brand). 
  • Hair: curly / "salt & pepper"

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »
I've heard good reviews on the Almay makeup remover but never tried it myself. I using a huge sample size of Sephora's makeup remover - it was in the cleansing kit - it's ok. It doesn't take waterproof mascara completely. I don't know why I always buy waterproof mascara.  :eek:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »
"http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/shop-by-line/camomile/camomile-sumptuous-cleansing-butter.aspx

When it's on sale I stock up.  It has the consistency of coconut oil but softer and you put on dry skin and once you mush it all around your face and eyes, you wash it off  with warm water and everything comes off. I have three backups, I think.  Oh, I use waterproof mascara and this stuff takes it all off without taking any lashes off with it. I'm on my 3rd tin so I guess it has the HG status." - SusieQ

That sounds great - I might have to check that out the next time I'm downtown!:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
"http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/shop-by-line/camomile/camomile-sumptuous-cleansing-butter.aspx

When it's on sale I stock up.  It has the consistency of coconut oil but softer and you put on dry skin and once you mush it all around your face and eyes, you wash it off  with warm water and everything comes off. I have three backups, I think.  Oh, I use waterproof mascara and this stuff takes it all off without taking any lashes off with it. I'm on my 3rd tin so I guess it has the HG status." - SusieQ

That sounds great - I might have to check that out the next time I'm downtown!:)
Do you go to the one on Market or Powell?  I usually hit the one on Market/Westfield Mall.  But, I heard the one on Powell have a better inventory.  :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
I've only been in the one on Powell - didn't know there was one in the Westfield Mall. I'm not much of a mall person - I just tend to roll through there and use their Wi-Fi downstairs on the way to my Pilates class a few blocks over. Didn't make it downtown to Pilates today - still recovering from illness.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
Off topic but I lived in San Francisco for almost a year so hearing references to Market and Powell is exciting. I haven't been back since moving away almost 40 years ago. I wonder how much the city has changed in that time. It was and I presume still is a magnificent city, brimming with life and culture and great food! I love being able to spend the day in the Muir Woods or on Mt. Tamalpais, too. What a great area you live in.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »
I have been using Garnier micellar water to remove make-up, including eye make-up.There are other brands of micellar water but I find Garnier's effective and very good value. I don't wear a lot of make-up except when I am going out. I have tried Vichy's micellar water, which is at  3 times more expensive than Garnier's, but I honestly can't tell the difference.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
I'll check out the Garnier Micellar water the next time I'm out and about.  That seems to be the new thing, micellar water.   :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »
I'm with you SusieQ. This thread is the first I've heard of micellar water but if it's effective, affordable, and easy to find I might have to give it a try, too.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Micellar water contains micelle molecules, which supposedly are quite effective at removing dirt and makeup. They are milder than the cleansers found in makeup remover wipes. They may not get off all of your waterproof mascara, though.

I quite like those I've tried. I think of them as higher-octane toners.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
I agree, SusanG.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 10:31:01 PM »
Good to know, ladies. My curiosity is indeed piqued.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
I have been using Garnier micellar water to remove make-up, including eye make-up.There are other brands of micellar water but I find Garnier's effective and very good value. I don't wear a lot of make-up except when I am going out. I have tried Vichy's micellar water, which is at  3 times more expensive than Garnier's, but I honestly can't tell the difference.

I've never heard of micellar water.  Is it something new?  I'll have to look for it.  Garnier usually is a good value & I can find it easily.
By the way, I was able to locate an Avon Rep.  The eye makeup remover is on sale for 99ยข (!), so I've ordered 6. 
Milla, was it you who was giving one of Avon's moisturizers a try?

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
Micelle is a chemical term for water that contains lipids.

Micellar water is faddish now and I am a skeptical that everyone needs it, nevertheless the cosmetic companies definitely know how to get us to think that we do.  It has been used a long time at fashion shows because you use it on a cotton pad to take off makeup quickly without getting water or anything else like hair, clothes, whatever.  It was made by french brands first so those who think french is better have capitalised on this.   Gwyneth Paltrow and other bloggers have been listing it as a 'must have.'   Now American brands are duplicating it, and sales are mushrooming, but yeah, it's a toner with a fancier, maybe french, name.

I really care about our planet and don't want to throw anything else into landfills, and the extra packaging, fuel costs, and the other froufrou that comes with the herdlike move to buy more products has me rolling my eyes.  I've never had any trouble removing makeup with my regular cleanser and a shower, and don't understand when women have a extra arsenal of removal gear.    I think the arrival of micellar water in our lives is more about love of product, and love of shopping, than anything else.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »
@gilberte: so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't get onto the micellular water either. Coconut oil removes my makeup just fine, followed by my drugstore cleanser(CeraVe Hydrating) - DONE!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
I suspect that micellar water formulations vary. I was curious after reading about it in this topic and looked at some along with the reviews. I found some that specifically instructed the user to avoid the eye area. I found a few that reviewers said caused their skin to sting or otherwise react poorly. And, looking at the price, I decided I could do without.

That said, others seem to use and like micellar water so I think the brands that I looked at were not the brands that others here are using. And sometimes it's about more than just product efficacy; sometimes it's about pampering ourselves a little. If using micellar water helps someone more effectively remove their makeup and/or feels good to the skin, more power to those users!

I'm "guilty" of using Paula's Choice toners. Many believe that they are a waste of money but my skin feels better to me if I apply toner (non-alcoholic/non-astringent) to it before I apply my serum and moisturizer. Everything after the toner seems to absorb a bit better and my skin feels softer and plumper.

Of course, with regard to my nonuse of micellar water, I must add the caveat that I don't use much makeup, particularly eyeliner and mascara which are harder to remove. My cleanser seems to do a fine job of removing the bit of foundation and perhaps blush that I wear on a regular basis. I do have some kind of eye makeup remover for the rare occasions that I might apply mascara.

mommylonglegs

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
 I'm happy with Almay Oil Free Makeup Remover pads. The sensitive area around my eyes never gets irritated since I've used this.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 05:24:25 AM »
As jojoba oil is one of the ingredients in my Monsia skincare range this is what I use, it removes mascara, eyeliner and eye shadow easily and gently, no scrubbing necessary.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
@Styyna: just sent you a PM about San Francisco, since my comments were going to be off-topic about the micellar water. Still using coconut oil for makeup removal here and it works great!:)

paintingrealism

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »
I have been using Vaseline for 30 yrs to remove eye makup, everyone says not to, but it's the only thing that doesn't irritate after prolonged use.
Everyone comments on how nice my skin is...... It's the Vaseline & i never have skin blemishes from it either!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »
First, :welcomepicture:  paintingrealism! I'm happy that you have found us!  I know that you will like it here.

Second, I'm glad that vaseline works for you!  There are still people out there that don't seem to understand that we are all different in our own way  and it's only logical to think that our skin will also be different.  :) 

Oh, well. That's what makes the world go round. :bearonice:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
A second warm welcome to TTB, paintingrealism!

I'm happy for you that vaseline works so well. I've honestly never tried it so, based on your post, I'm going to give it a whirl!

LilySmith

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 03:41:35 AM »
I use Maybelline Eye and Lip Make Up Remover.
  • Eyes: blue
  • Hair: auburn, wavy

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
Related to the idea of Vaseline as eye makeup remover, Aquaphor works too.:) Basically any oil-based thing will work - it all depends on what one's individual preference is. I'll be taking my Aquaphor while travelling for sure.:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »
I use Maybelline Eye and Lip Make Up Remover.
I just wanted to say,  :welcomepicture: LilySmith!  I'm really glad that you found us!

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Isehan KissMe Heroine Make - Mascara Remover to clean off even the most waterproof mascara.  Then Bioderma micellar water on eyelids.  I also use Shu Uemura cleansing oil on my face and work it onto my eyelids for a second cleanse.  I wear a lot of eye makeup in layers that last all day and these cleansing method cleans gently and without any panda eye residue.

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
Checking back to say I found my HG eye makeup remover - Bifesta Eye Makeup Remover - http://www.amazon.com/Mandom-BIFESTA-Eye-Makeup-Remover/dp/B005F2EVMQ

This is the most amazing remover, takes off my numerous coats of resilient waterproof, oilproof Japanese mascara in 10 seconds without irritating my eyes or pulling lashes.  I finally wake up with no traces of black smudges in the morning from the liner that creeps into my lashes and didn't 't get properly removed.

I found this when going to repurchase the Kiss Me remover mentioned in my earlier post but now no need!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »
Never heard of Bifesta before but it sounds great! Thanks for the tip, Denisiel. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »
It's nice that it's available on Amazaon.  I will need to check this one once I run out of the ones I have. Thanks, denisiel!

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 07:21:16 PM »
ILL,are you aware you can order directly at Avon,com without a rep? I have done this several times and they send it to your door like any other internet purchase.

• Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

angela001

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
Avon products weren't the best for me.. Maybe something duo-phase.. I used ZIAJA and Garnier, both duo phase, and it suits me.

JenniferJill

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 01:41:46 PM »
I have used the Almay pads, coconut oil and Mary Kay makeup remover for my mascara and eyeliner.  The Almay pads are not working well for my new Mary Kay eyeliner.  Going to try the coconut oil next again but if I remember it left oily residue, so maybe going back to the Mary Kay as it didn't leave residue and worked well if I remember right.

Also tried my homemade (baby oil and tearless baby shampoo) mixture this morning and it didn't work for the eyeliner.
  • Complexion: Fair, somewhat dry.
  • Hair: Silver/Brunette, Curly/Wavy, Dry
I am 51.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »
I've on my 3rd bottle of the Garnier Micellar makeup remover and don't think I will be trying anything else but this one. I really like it a lot.

Juli Tejadilla

• Lover of beauty products
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
Erno Laszlo products looks good to me.. i have used the same brand eye makeup remover which worked very well for me. It removes lip, eye and face make up while soothing and hydrating the skin. Hope it is recommended for all skin types.
  • Complexion: Fair
  • Hair: Straight Black Hair
Regards,
Juli Tejadila
Portland, OR

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
Hi Juli and welcome! I'm unfamiliar with Erno Laszlo products. Which ones have you used and what did you like about them? (Friendly reminder - new members can't post links until they have 10 posts so your response should be text only. :) )

Amelia Brown

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 01:08:41 PM »
I don't like micellar cleansing water, I have panda's eyes after it  :) But also I have an allergic reactionfor the most removers. I preffer cream remover from Nivea, it suits me and no red eyes after it.

maya.tovi

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
I feel like I tried billions of eye makeup removers and still haven't found a perfect one. The problems are always with mascara and blurry sight. I am still looking for something good (: I think GorgeousGirl website has some posts about it so I probably should go check it, but they also have a lot of articles about makeup and fashion <3

JustJennyFromTheBlog

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2017, 07:38:55 AM »
Coconut oil and Simple Micellar Water
  • Complexion: Combination
  • Eyes: Hazel/Green
  • Hair: Brunette, fine, straight.
UK Beauty & Aesthetics blogger over 40. Confidence not vanity. Keeping it real. Natural look aesthetics. Cruelty free products. Natural/organic products. Responsible advice. Ethical Blogger.