News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Eye Makeup Remover?  (Read 4886 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Eye Makeup Remover?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
Off topic but I lived in San Francisco for almost a year so hearing references to Market and Powell is exciting. I haven't been back since moving away almost 40 years ago. I wonder how much the city has changed in that time. It was and I presume still is a magnificent city, brimming with life and culture and great food! I love being able to spend the day in the Muir Woods or on Mt. Tamalpais, too. What a great area you live in.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »
I have been using Garnier micellar water to remove make-up, including eye make-up.There are other brands of micellar water but I find Garnier's effective and very good value. I don't wear a lot of make-up except when I am going out. I have tried Vichy's micellar water, which is at  3 times more expensive than Garnier's, but I honestly can't tell the difference.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
I'll check out the Garnier Micellar water the next time I'm out and about.  That seems to be the new thing, micellar water.   :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »
I'm with you SusieQ. This thread is the first I've heard of micellar water but if it's effective, affordable, and easy to find I might have to give it a try, too.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Micellar water contains micelle molecules, which supposedly are quite effective at removing dirt and makeup. They are milder than the cleansers found in makeup remover wipes. They may not get off all of your waterproof mascara, though.

I quite like those I've tried. I think of them as higher-octane toners.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
I agree, SusanG.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 10:31:01 PM »
Good to know, ladies. My curiosity is indeed piqued.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
I have been using Garnier micellar water to remove make-up, including eye make-up.There are other brands of micellar water but I find Garnier's effective and very good value. I don't wear a lot of make-up except when I am going out. I have tried Vichy's micellar water, which is at  3 times more expensive than Garnier's, but I honestly can't tell the difference.

I've never heard of micellar water.  Is it something new?  I'll have to look for it.  Garnier usually is a good value & I can find it easily.
By the way, I was able to locate an Avon Rep.  The eye makeup remover is on sale for 99ยข (!), so I've ordered 6. 
Milla, was it you who was giving one of Avon's moisturizers a try?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
Micelle is a chemical term for water that contains lipids.

Micellar water is faddish now and I am a skeptical that everyone needs it, nevertheless the cosmetic companies definitely know how to get us to think that we do.  It has been used a long time at fashion shows because you use it on a cotton pad to take off makeup quickly without getting water or anything else like hair, clothes, whatever.  It was made by french brands first so those who think french is better have capitalised on this.   Gwyneth Paltrow and other bloggers have been listing it as a 'must have.'   Now American brands are duplicating it, and sales are mushrooming, but yeah, it's a toner with a fancier, maybe french, name.

I really care about our planet and don't want to throw anything else into landfills, and the extra packaging, fuel costs, and the other froufrou that comes with the herdlike move to buy more products has me rolling my eyes.  I've never had any trouble removing makeup with my regular cleanser and a shower, and don't understand when women have a extra arsenal of removal gear.    I think the arrival of micellar water in our lives is more about love of product, and love of shopping, than anything else.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »
@gilberte: so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't get onto the micellular water either. Coconut oil removes my makeup just fine, followed by my drugstore cleanser(CeraVe Hydrating) - DONE!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
I suspect that micellar water formulations vary. I was curious after reading about it in this topic and looked at some along with the reviews. I found some that specifically instructed the user to avoid the eye area. I found a few that reviewers said caused their skin to sting or otherwise react poorly. And, looking at the price, I decided I could do without.

That said, others seem to use and like micellar water so I think the brands that I looked at were not the brands that others here are using. And sometimes it's about more than just product efficacy; sometimes it's about pampering ourselves a little. If using micellar water helps someone more effectively remove their makeup and/or feels good to the skin, more power to those users!

I'm "guilty" of using Paula's Choice toners. Many believe that they are a waste of money but my skin feels better to me if I apply toner (non-alcoholic/non-astringent) to it before I apply my serum and moisturizer. Everything after the toner seems to absorb a bit better and my skin feels softer and plumper.

Of course, with regard to my nonuse of micellar water, I must add the caveat that I don't use much makeup, particularly eyeliner and mascara which are harder to remove. My cleanser seems to do a fine job of removing the bit of foundation and perhaps blush that I wear on a regular basis. I do have some kind of eye makeup remover for the rare occasions that I might apply mascara.

mommylonglegs

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
 I'm happy with Almay Oil Free Makeup Remover pads. The sensitive area around my eyes never gets irritated since I've used this.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 05:24:25 AM »
As jojoba oil is one of the ingredients in my Monsia skincare range this is what I use, it removes mascara, eyeliner and eye shadow easily and gently, no scrubbing necessary.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
@Styyna: just sent you a PM about San Francisco, since my comments were going to be off-topic about the micellar water. Still using coconut oil for makeup removal here and it works great!:)

paintingrealism

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »
I have been using Vaseline for 30 yrs to remove eye makup, everyone says not to, but it's the only thing that doesn't irritate after prolonged use.
Everyone comments on how nice my skin is...... It's the Vaseline & i never have skin blemishes from it either!