News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Shawl for future DIL  (Read 1861 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Shawl for future DIL
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:38:57 AM »
I shared in Celebrations that my son is getting married on July 3rd and that I want to make a shawl for his fiancee. I need some color input. Their color scheme is white, dusty navy blue, and sage green and the image below shows her inspiration picture. I want to knit the lacy shawl in a color similar to their color choices. Next to the image of the table are the colors I'm considering. I can get the top color for sure - in fact, I ordered it since there wasn't a lot of it available. The two other colors I might be able to get in time. What do TTB's beauties think? Should I go with the certain color or try for one of the other two?

I'm including the shawl image again, just as a refresher.

• Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
Re: Shawl for future DIL
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »
That's a lovely colour scheme! I like all three choices, though I lean a little more towards the one on the bottom, Antoinette. It's a touch more subtle, a little less green, if you know what I mean. But hey, that's just me.   :wink:
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »
That is a very elegant, understated colour scheme and I agree with SusanG. Antoinette gets my vote!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
Antoinette is what DH and I agreed was best so we're in agreement. :)

Now the trick is to find some of it. I've posted an ISO (in search of) to the Ravelry forum operated by The Plucky Knitter, the company that sells that yarn. Hopefully someone has some in their stash and is willing to sell it to me.

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to pass along your compliments about the color scheme to the bride-to-be. :)
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:52:07 AM »
One more request for input! The shawl I'm knitting has 1,500 tiny beads knitted into it. The yarn color I've selected (and purchased, yay!) isn't the easiest to find beads to go with. Below is a picture of the closest beads I've found next to the yarn. Bear in mind that the actual yarn I've purchased is 20% silk so will be shinier than that in the picture. My biggest concern is whether the beads have too much yellow in them. What does everyone think?

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
That is a very elegant, understated colour scheme and I agree with SusanG. Antoinette gets my vote!

My vote is for Antoinette as well but all the colors are gorgeous!!!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Natural curly, dark brown w / little gray

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
One more request for input! The shawl I'm knitting has 1,500 tiny beads knitted into it. The yarn color I've selected (and purchased, yay!) isn't the easiest to find beads to go with. Below is a picture of the closest beads I've found next to the yarn. Bear in mind that the actual yarn I've purchased is 20% silk so will be shinier than that in the picture. My biggest concern is whether the beads have too much yellow in them. What does everyone think?

I think they would be OK. To me, they look a tad bit yellow from the type of light that was shining on them. For example a lightbulb. What kind of lighting was this taken in?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
The picture of the beads is from the website where they are for sale. I'm going to go ahead and order them - they aren't very expensive - and see how they look with the yarn IRL. In most pictures of the completed shawls from this pattern the beads don't even show. These will add a bit of shimmer and their weight will contribute to a nice drape.

By the way, I don't think I mentioned that I found someone willing to sell her skein of Antoinette to me and she's sending it out today!

Thanks, MJ, for your thoughts! :)

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
I like the iridescence of the beads, and the colour looks pretty good, too. You found some Antoinette! Yay!   :jumpingcircle:

If I haven't said it before, you are so talented, Styyna! I can't imagine producing anything so exquisite!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

MJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
The picture of the beads is from the website where they are for sale. I'm going to go ahead and order them - they aren't very expensive - and see how they look with the yarn IRL. In most pictures of the completed shawls from this pattern the beads don't even show. These will add a bit of shimmer and their weight will contribute to a nice drape.

By the way, I don't think I mentioned that I found someone willing to sell her skein of Antoinette to me and she's sending it out today!

Thanks, MJ, for your thoughts! :)

Your welcome Styyna!!  I'm glad you were able to find everything you needed. I'm sure it will be beautiful!!  :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 10:47:17 PM »
I'm late to the party but what was voted are a perfect match!  I can't wait to see it!  You should do a timeline post for your work on this shawl, Styyna! 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Oooh, how did I miss this thread? The shawl is beautiful, Styyna! I can't  wait to see it in the colors you've chosen.  Have you ever done beadwork like this before? 
Do you think it will take you very long to make?  I think I'm the slowest person in the world when it comes to my projects. 
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 07:39:45 AM »
Thanks, ILuvLucy and everyone else who chimed in.

I've only worked with beads on another version of the same shawl that is about a quarter to a third finished. (One of the things about knitting is that it's easy to get sidetracked with new projects and I got distracted from my first shawl like this by gift knitting.) Adding the beads is not difficult, it just adds time to the project.

As for how long I think it will take, I'm hoping to complete it in 4-6 weeks. I know of beginning lace knitters who completed this pattern in that timeframe so I'm optimistic that I can do the same.

I won't be able to cast on this weekend as I had hoped in spite of receiving the yarn and beads. The beads do not go well with the yarn. Instead of being too yellow as I had feared, they are too blue. So it's back to the bead sites I go. Maybe a gray would work since sage green has quite a bit of gray in it.

SusieQ - I like the idea of doing a post about my progress! As soon as I have the right yarn and beads I'll do that. It will keep me accountable, too. :)

SusanG - While the finished project will be exquisite, the execution of it isn't terribly difficult. Rather, it's time-consuming and requires great concentration. The stitches themselves are not unusual for a knitter with basic skills. It's just that they are worked in such a way that there aren't a lot of parts that can be memorized and mindlessly knit. I have to refer to the chart and/or written instructions frequently.

Finally, I've found 2 additional yarn colors that I'm considering, just in case I can't find the right beads for Antoinette. The bride-to-be added taupe as one of her colors and my DS said that I can really go with any color that I choose. I'll try to add pictures of what I'm considering. I haven't decided on bead colors for either yet. The beads in the pictures are just the closest I've found so far. Thoughts, opinions?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
Oh, they both look good.  I do lean towards lighter colors but the top is really pretty. Yeah, I helped alot didn't I?  :D

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 01:51:32 PM »
Well, soon I will have beads and yarn for 3 shawls and I don't think I'll make up my mind until I have them all here. The mauvey taupe yarn and beads go together like they were designed for each other. A friend supplied me with some beads to go with the light olive green yarn and they are pretty but maybe a little shinier than I had envisioned. And I'm still waiting on the taupe yarn and beads to go with it.

So, while I wait for the yarn and beads I, too, am knitting a baby blanket though nothing so delicate and pretty as Milla's. Mine is knit in strips of multicolor blocks that are then seamed together to make a patchwork effect blanket. It's for my niece's baby and we don't know the gender yet so I'm making it very colorful and gender neutral. It's a quick, easy knit and will be good to turn to once I start on the lace shawl and need some mindless knitting breaks.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
I love the idea about the multicolor blocks.  Babies' love bright colors.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
I thought bright colors would be fun for both parents and baby. Plus stains won't show as much. The blanket is machine washable (merino, cashmere, and acrylic yarn) but needs to lie flat to dry - the only drawback to it. But the yarn is tough; I can't break it with my bare hands, I have to use scissors to cut it so that's good. I hope it becomes a "blankie" that goes everywhere until it's threadbare!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
I love the Boulangerie (second yarn) but they are both lovely. I like the idea of a colour block baby blanket, in fact I have seen one in the PurlBee, which is a site I absolutely love. I have gone all girly with this new grandchild, I don't know what is the matter with me!!!
Here's the PurlBee blanket. If you don't know this site you are going to love it!

http://www.purlbee.com/2012/08/18/new-super-easy-baby-blanket/

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
I very nearly made the PurlBee blanket instead, that very one! I have the pattern saved to make another time.

There's nothing wrong with going all girly either. If I knew the gender of my niece's baby I'd have given a lot of consideration to making a gender-specific blanket. As it turns out, I'll have my hands full with the lace shawl (I like the Boulangerie, too, based on the pictures; the yarn won't be here until the end of the month) so having a less complex blanket works well for me. The color changes help offset the monotony of all garter stitch.

Your blanket is going to be one that is handed down. It will be a precious keepsake, full of memories. I hope that mine gets used and abused over the next couple of years so that it is "used up."

If and when I have grandkids I will probably knit both the more delicate, treasure kind of blankets and the hard-wearing type. Plus lots of sweaters, booties, mittens, hats, etc.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
That's very pretty. I agree that there is nothing wrong with going all girly!  We can live for the moment and when she's old enough, she can decide.  :lol: