News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Shawl for future DIL  (Read 1907 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Shawl for future DIL
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
I love the idea about the multicolor blocks.  Babies' love bright colors.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
I thought bright colors would be fun for both parents and baby. Plus stains won't show as much. The blanket is machine washable (merino, cashmere, and acrylic yarn) but needs to lie flat to dry - the only drawback to it. But the yarn is tough; I can't break it with my bare hands, I have to use scissors to cut it so that's good. I hope it becomes a "blankie" that goes everywhere until it's threadbare!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
I love the Boulangerie (second yarn) but they are both lovely. I like the idea of a colour block baby blanket, in fact I have seen one in the PurlBee, which is a site I absolutely love. I have gone all girly with this new grandchild, I don't know what is the matter with me!!!
Here's the PurlBee blanket. If you don't know this site you are going to love it!

http://www.purlbee.com/2012/08/18/new-super-easy-baby-blanket/

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
I very nearly made the PurlBee blanket instead, that very one! I have the pattern saved to make another time.

There's nothing wrong with going all girly either. If I knew the gender of my niece's baby I'd have given a lot of consideration to making a gender-specific blanket. As it turns out, I'll have my hands full with the lace shawl (I like the Boulangerie, too, based on the pictures; the yarn won't be here until the end of the month) so having a less complex blanket works well for me. The color changes help offset the monotony of all garter stitch.

Your blanket is going to be one that is handed down. It will be a precious keepsake, full of memories. I hope that mine gets used and abused over the next couple of years so that it is "used up."

If and when I have grandkids I will probably knit both the more delicate, treasure kind of blankets and the hard-wearing type. Plus lots of sweaters, booties, mittens, hats, etc.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
That's very pretty. I agree that there is nothing wrong with going all girly!  We can live for the moment and when she's old enough, she can decide.  :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves