News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: First Patient - Orchid In Need of Lots of TLC  (Read 1421 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
First Patient - Orchid In Need of Lots of TLC
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »
My DH brought home an orchid that is in need of lots of help from one of the gals in his office. I should have taken a picture of the before but I was so sadden by what I saw that I went to work right away. It's a phaleonopsis but not sure what kind. Its leaves were dried and papery to the feel. It also had two Keikes - little one baby in Hawaii.  The keikes grew on the flower spikes and they were also in need of  lotsTLC. The leaves were starting to turn dark red and curl and really thirsty. 

So, I cut the keikes off the flower spikes and one of them I put on its own pot while the other keike I placed with her mother plant in a bigger plant.  I cleaned and disinfected all three plants. I even had gloves on.  :lol:  I  found slugs and snails in the pot and in another month or two, I think the keikes and their mom would have died.

I hope that they survived.  I'll take pictures tomorrow when I get home.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: First Patient - Orchid In Need of Lots of TLC
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:05:20 AM »
Oh, the poor baby. It's a good thing that it found its way to you, SusieQ! One thing that you might want to do is to keep the patient in isolation for the first week or so. You don't want it to infect your healthy orchids. Years ago, DH lost all of his orchids, slowly, after first one then another became infected. Fingers crossed that the new patient and both keikes are strong and healthy soon! :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
This orchid talk is basically Greek to me, but I'm glad this specimen is in your caring hands, SusieQ!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »
Orchids seem like a lot of work and from all the reading and watching I've been doing the last couple of weeks, it's not any harder than any plants one may have in the garden and in the homes. It's all about caring and what the plant needs. I hope....

Here are the pictures of the sad family and yes, they are quarantined from the rest of the orchids.  :) It's going to be a long healing process so you may not hear about this family in a while. I've heard that it can take months.  I just feel so sad for them.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »
It's all about caring and what the plant needs...

I think you hit the nail on the head for tending to any plants. The trick is in knowing what the plant needs. You seem to have an innate sense of what your orchids need and I have a hunch that even the "patients" will do well under your TLC.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
I am hopeful.  They seems to still be doing well. But, I don't have enough humidity so I've been creating some and I hope it's enough.  ???

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:22:26 AM »
How are you creating humidity? I ask because I'm curious and I bet you've thought of something clever. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 04:55:22 PM »
How are you creating humidity? I ask because I'm curious and I bet you've thought of something clever. :)
No, not my clever idea.  :D   A few websites recommended pebbles on a tray with water just below the top of the pebbles and you place the orchids. I hope it works.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 06:37:46 PM »
Just a random thought. You might consider using a heating mat like one of these under your tray to increase the evaporation of the water and keep the plants at an even temperature. When the sun is shining on your plants you wouldn't need it but other times of the day/night it might help. (This is all my idea. I haven't consulted DH on it but I will when I can.)

ETA: DH said that orchids like cooler temps at night than during the day so the heating pad would only be good for during the day.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:39:13 PM by Styyna »

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
I do have one of those. I may try it when I'm home all day. Thank you, Styyna (and your DH, too)!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:19 PM »
These lady orchids are doing well. The mother plant has produce another leaf. Yay! The babies are still holding their own.  :) I'm just glad that I have not managed to kill any of them so far.  :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »
Yay for a new leaf and the wee ones holding their own!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »
They are. I'm just glad that I am not killing of them so far.  :woohoo: